Lower 3DMark Scores AFTER overclock ?

Hmerly

Mar 20, 2007
Hi,
Wanted to see if anybody else has had this odd occurance. My system specs are listed below for reference. I recently built this system and am having some really odd things happen with benchmarking. Currently, I only have 3DMark 06 installed to bench with. At stock settings, no oc of any kind, I get around 9000 3dmarks. However, AFTER I overclock my cpu to 3.4 ghz I am getting much much lower 3dmarks (around 3000). This is really throwing me for a trip. Could it be memory timing? Although I haven't really changed any of my timing. I've used cpu test and its at 5 5 5 15. My memory is running dual channel. So, any other reasons why my system would bench a lot worse when overclocked?

CPU: Core2duo 6400
Memory: 2GB 800mhz
Video: Foxxcon GeForce 8800 GTS 640bm
Video Driver: 100.65

GuitarDaddy

Lifer
Nov 9, 2004
The only viable reason is that your O/C isn't stable. Run intels TAT(thrermal analysis tool) at 100% on both cores for a few hours, and run memtest overnight to test for stability. My guess is that you will find it's not stable.

If you pass those tests, then I would suspect that your power supply can't handle your overclocked CPU and the 8800 at the same time. The first scenario is much more likely

Hmerly

Mar 20, 2007
I've actually run orthos for 3 hours with no problems and memtest overnight for 7 hours already. Its not a stability issue as my ssytem is stable. I don't think its the powersupply as I have a PowerXStream 700 watt. It should be plenty of power for what I have. Anybody have any other ideas?

GuitarDaddy

Lifer
Nov 9, 2004
Orthos is not a great stability test to start with, and 3 hours is not near enough. Try TAT, I've seen systems that will run orthos for 12 hours, and crap out in 5min with TAT

Text

If 3Dmark runs properly at stock speeds it's not a software or driver problem.
If it runs properly at stock and not with an overclock, somethings wrong with your overclock.

If you insist on using Orthos, run 12-24hrs of small files, 12-24hours of large files. A few hours of the blend test doesn't prove anything.

Or better yet, set up a loop of 3dmark06. 06 is a real beast and one of the best stability tests, actually much tougher than orthos.

Or, if all your games play fine and everything else is running correctly just ignore 3dmark06 and be happy with an almost 100% stable system

Hmerly

Mar 20, 2007
Ok, I'm running Tat now and will see how it goes. Stable so far. How accurate are the temps TAT report? It is alarmingly high for me, around 80 degrees C.

PCTC2

Diamond Member
Feb 18, 2007
TAT is quite accurate for the most part. It stresses the CPU more than any program, not even Orthos, can.

GuitarDaddy

Lifer
Nov 9, 2004
Are you using the stock HSF? I have also seen my E6400 hit 80c with the stock HSF when at 3.4-3.5, that's why I backed down to 3.2 until I get a better cooler. Even at 3.2 tat pushes the temp up just over 70c.

It's also possible that your 8800 is overheating when combined with the extra heat in the case from a highly overclocked CPU. Is the 8800 overclocked? Do you have good airflow in the case? You might try taking the side off the case and see if that changes anything.

Glenn

Oct 10, 1999
Originally posted by: Hmerly
Ok, I'm running Tat now and will see how it goes. Stable so far. How accurate are the temps TAT report? It is alarmingly high for me, around 80 degrees C.

Thats way to high! I think you may have found your problem! What voltage are you running and what cooling are you using for the CPU?

Hmerly

Mar 20, 2007
Well, currently, TAT is still running with no problems. Its indicating 77 on one core and 73 on the other. I have a Tuniq Tower 120 on the CPU so I am really perplexed as to why my temps are so high. I may not have installed it correctly. My case is a P180B with an extra fan in addition to the fans it comes with. It should be handling my components fine. I am only trying to OC to 3.2ghz. I'm only pushing 1.32 volts according to cpuZ.

Cogman

Lifer
Sep 19, 2000
humm, is the fan dead in the tower? Those temps definitely indicate that something has gone wrong. How is the air flow in your case? How many fans do you have. Is the Tower on your CPU correctly so that it makes the most contact? Did you use thermal grease? is your tunic tower buried in cables?

I would check out those things. If I remember right, Intel CPU's will throttle down automatically if their temps are too high, so that could easily explain the lower score.

PCTC2

Diamond Member
Feb 18, 2007
yeah, they seem a little high.
I max TAT around 65C on my E6400 @ 3.52GHz 1.52v, but I have a lot more airflow than you in my Antec 900. I created an air tunnel through the whole case across my TR Ultra 120. It has 2 intake fans, 2 fans on the HS itself in a push-pull config, and an exhaust fan.
you apply the thermal paste right or did you put too much? try reseating the Tuniq.

And CPUZ is always wrong about voltages. you need to check the BIOS Monitor or use a different software.

GuitarDaddy

Lifer
Nov 9, 2004
Are you leaving the vcore on "Auto" in bios? Many boards will overvolt like crazy on auto.
If it is on auto, set it manually. And as others have said, try cleaning and reseating the Tuniq using just a drop of thermal paste 3/4 the size of a BB, too much paste is as bad a none at all. Those temps are too high for 3.2 with that HSF, mine peaks at 71-72c on the highest core when I run it at 3.28 with the crappy stock HSF

Hmerly

Mar 20, 2007
Well, after a day of testing, TAT has been stable for about 10 hours. Memtest also was stable. I'm running at 3.2ghz on my 6400, with vcore at 1.39. Voltages are set at manual in the bios. Mem timing is 5 5 5 15. I even reset my Tuniq Tower 120. It had a bit too much paste after looking at it, so I cleaned it best I could and reapplied a little thermal grease. My temps are a little better, but still way too high. I reach 65c running at default 2.1 ghz and it gets over 70 easily, closer to 80 when I OC to 3.2 ghz. I have a suspicion that the reason 3dmark is slow when I OC is because the video card is throttling. Is that a feature of GeForce 8800 gts? My temp readings with nTune shows an idling temp of 65C. Is that too high?

GuitarDaddy

Lifer
Nov 9, 2004
Yeah, somethings up with the HSF:confused: Your temps are worse than mine and I'm running quite a bit more vcore and using the stock HSF.

It really sounds like the fan in the middle is not working or is spinning way too slow, have you checked it?

Agentbolt

Diamond Member
Jul 9, 2004
Run CPUZ. Click the Mainboard tab and make sure the PCI-Express is set to 16X and not 1X. I am absolutely positive it is down to 1X.

P965 boards have an issue with this. In your BIOS you will need to manually change the PCI-E frequency from somewhere between 101-120 MHZ. In my OCed setup below I need to put it to 120 MHZ. Keep trying till you find a frequency that'll get CPUZ to display the PCI-Express frequency properly.

Gusty987

Golden Member
Mar 24, 2004
Originally posted by: Agentbolt
Run CPUZ. Click the Mainboard tab and make sure the PCI-Express is set to 16X and not 1X. I am absolutely positive it is down to 1X.

P965 boards have an issue with this. In your BIOS you will need to manually change the PCI-E frequency from somewhere between 101-120 MHZ. In my OCed setup below I need to put it to 120 MHZ. Keep trying till you find a frequency that'll get CPUZ to display the PCI-Express frequency properly.

I had this issue also. Increasing the voltage on the GMCH and PCI-Express by .1v each got it to correctly run at 16x.

aka1nas

Diamond Member
Aug 30, 2001
In this case it is also possible that the OP's CPU is throttling due to the high readings on TAT. Can CPU-Z detect throttling on Intel chips now?

Gusty987

Golden Member
Mar 24, 2004
Originally posted by: aka1nas Can CPU-Z detect throttling on Intel chips now?

Well, when I still had Speedstep enabled, CPU-Z showed my multi dropping from 9x to 6x during idle periods, so I guess it works.

Also, I'm not very confident in TAT's temperature readings. On my machine, both CPU-Z and CoreTemp constantly show approx. 15* less then TAT.