Question Low wattage PSU for a NAS

martixy

Jan 16, 2011
I have an old i7 2600K+MOBO+RAM I wanna turn into a NAS. I need a cheap reliable power supply.
Drives would be 10W a piece peak, so even 400W is overkill.

All the low-watt ones I was looking for, people on the internet keep saying are shit.

Looking for recommendations, keeping in mind I'm in the EU, so availability might not be the same as US.

mindless1

Diamond Member
Aug 11, 2001
No idea in the EU, but the requirements aren't so much different from the PSU you'd pick for any entry level system with integrated video, except an extra amp or two on the 12V rail for each HDD.

An i7 is pretty much overkill if it's "just" a NAS, I'd get the lowest power CPU your board will accept or underclock and undervolt it as much as possible.

Yes most low wattage PSU are junk, for something (presumably) running 24/7 you are best off with a PSU with a high quality fan and japanese capacitors, except even decent quality Chinese caps will last a long time if the PSU is only running at less than 1/2 load, at least until the fan dies and the whole thing turns into an EZ-bake oven.

Overkill wattage is not bad as long as it's a high efficiency PSU, but unfortunately reviewers tend to gravitate towards reviewing the high wattage units or contrasting with junk, instead of what the majority of PC owners need since most aren't gamers or crypto mining.

Amazon UK has some Corsairs and Seasonics, which I'd pick before some more obscure brand.