low volt celleron itx: Windows 7 decided. Now mint vs ubuntu. Also, what case?

preslove

Lifer
Sep 10, 2003
Edit: I've decided windows 7. Now the question is mint vs ubuntu

I went ahead and jumped on this celeron board with a free 8 gig dimm. http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16813138368

I have access to windows 7 and 8 ultimate for $10 each. Which should I get?

I'm thinking about the cooler master 120 case. I have a corsair builder 430 already. Any other good options. I'm more interested in noise than space savings.

Thanks

Last edited:

XavierMace

Diamond Member
Apr 20, 2013
7 all the way. Windows Media Center really actually works quite well and you don't have to deal with 8's assbackwards interface.

preslove

Lifer
Sep 10, 2003
That's down to personal preference. Feature wise they are pretty much identical. If you can get a licence for $10, why not try out both and see which you like best?... :)

Looking at linux dual boot, though it might be fun to check it out on some unused space in my 2nd hd :)

I'm a hair away from getting the case. http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16811119261

I have a new 1 gig hd that I was going to put in my old dell minitower, but the power supply in that went down. I bought a power supply and idly looked at motherboards and potential systems, since I'd already sunk money into 2 components and have access to cheap windows, upgrading would be a marginal expense, and then saw and decided a small case on my desk would be better than a minitower on the floor with my room is setup (I also have corgi who likes to shed, lol) . Then I saw the newegg deal and looked up the processor & board and realized that I could have a new small form factor computer for ~$150, lol.

My old computer was an old athlon 64 dual core with 4 gigs of ram and a radeon 4670. The celeron is slight upgrade in the cpu, and my old computer was running down, probably because of a slowly dying power supply, lol. Now I have an 80+ bronze powersupply feeding a really low wattage machine :) I haven't played a modern pc game in a long time, and from the reviews, I think my video playback, which I used the old pc for a lot, will performance will increase.

From some reviews of the board, there are problems with Ubuntu reboots. There are the same for the AMD BIOSTAR A68I-350 combo cpu/board. http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16813138365 . In the amd board's reviews, someon says that turning off 'PSS Support' in the BIOS fixes the issue. Googling tells me that this is a common name for product service support. That's probably what he's talking about, right? These two boards share a BIOS feature product service support. Apparently, windows 7 & 8 just turn it off. I'll turn it off before I install anything, lol.

piasabird

Lifer
Feb 6, 2002
Let us know how smoothly it plays Video from say HULU using flash.

That case looks nice for the price if you want some extra storage. Plus it comes at a low price and you can use the power supply you want.

Last edited:

gaidin43

Jan 30, 2012
I would suggest building a small HTPC with bluray and storage for video files. You can put one together for 250 or so that will handle most anything you throw at it and use for streaming.

I have used windows 7 and 8 and like 8 mainly because I got the free WMC upgrade for it. With media browser for my files I rip from my tivo or discs and Netflix app and whatever else is needed the HTPC handles all my viewing needs other then live TV not because I haven't put a tuner card in it. I use my tivo with lifetime for my FIOS service.