Low Vista "Windows Experience Index"

Goi

Diamond Member
Oct 10, 1999
Hi,
I've just built a brand spankin new system with Vista Ultimate x64, one which I'm pretty sure should earn a perfect score with the WEI, but it's only getting a score of 3.7...actually everything is 5.9(is that perfect score?) except for graphics, which I got 3.7 and gaming graphics, which I got 4.4

My system is as follows:
DFI X48 w/intel Q9450
2x2GB DDR2-800
9800GTX 512MB
2xSamsung F1 1TB HDD
Samsung SATA DVD burner
A couple of older drives
FSP Epsilon 600W PSU

I've installed the latest nvidia vista graphics drivers, and the intel INF drivers, so I'm not sure why I'm still getting such a low score?

ViRGE

Elite Member, Moderator Emeritus
Oct 9, 1999
Go run 3D Mark or some other benchmarking application just to make sure everything is in working order. The Windows Experience Index isn't very reliable.

Snapster

Diamond Member
Oct 14, 2001
The score is depending on the lowest scoring item in your system, in this case the graphics card which shouldn't really be that low. I'd go along with trying to install the drivers again. :)

SanDiegoPC

Jul 14, 2006
According to what I just read in "Vista in a Nutshell," that is a useless score. Software tries to figure out how well it is running under the new OS and it reports that. But it seems there are no standards/benchmarks from which it derives the numbers.

So no software, including Microsoft products, really has an educated feel for what's going on since there were no benchmarks in the systems to begin with.

BTW mine shows 5.8 with my quad processor & setup, it appears the HDrives are the only slow point: Here's the rundown -

More details about my computer

Component Details Subscore Base score
Processor Intel(R) Core(TM)2 Quad CPU Q6600 @ 2.40GHz 5.9 5.8
Determined by lowest subscore

Memory (RAM) 4.00 GB 5.9
Graphics NVIDIA GeForce 8800 GT 5.9
Gaming graphics 1918 MB Total available graphics memory 5.9
Primary hard disk 301GB Free (466GB Total) 5.8
Windows Vista (TM) Business

System
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Manufacturer OEM
Model OEM
Total amount of system memory 4.00 GB RAM
System type 32-bit operating system
Number of processor cores 4
64-bit capable Yes

Storage
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Total size of hard disk(s) 932 GB
Disk partition (C:) 301 GB Free (466 GB Total)
Disk partition (D:) 408 GB Free (466 GB Total)
Media drive (E:) CD/DVD

Graphics

Display adapter type NVIDIA GeForce 8800 GT
Total available graphics memory 1918 MB
Dedicated graphics memory 512 MB
Dedicated system memory 0 MB
Shared system memory 1406 MB
Display adapter driver version 6.0.6001.18000
Primary monitor resolution 1280x1024
Secondary monitor resolution 1280x1024
DirectX version DirectX 10

Network

Network Adapter Realtek RTL8169/8110 Family PCI Gigabit Ethernet NIC (NDIS 6.0)
Network Adapter Realtek RTL8169/8110 Family PCI Gigabit Ethernet NIC (NDIS 6.0)
Network Adapter Microsoft Tun Miniport Adapter

Goi

Diamond Member
Oct 10, 1999
I know the WEI doesn't matter much, but I'm just taking it as a sign that "something's not right", which in this case it is.

Turns out 1 of the PCI-e power connectors was loose...plugged it back in firmly, reran the WEI, and got a perfect score.

Weird that this would happen. On my old 6800GT, when the additional power wasn't plugged in, it would beep and wouldn't even boot up.

Thanks for the suggestions though.

flexy

Diamond Member
Sep 28, 2001
too much factors playing a role in WEI...for a very, very simple overview for the avg. Joe it's ok.#

But just as an example...i got a 5.8 (otherwise 5.9, but one of my HDs seems to have a little low spin-up time)..that's ok tho.

I resized partitions making my C: system partition effectively smaller....this bringing down my score 0.2 points...on the same h/w, opposedly since Vista sees there is not THAT much space anymore on the system drive ---> thus ---> downrated :)

In reality any app/game wouldnt care less and would run the same, no matter whether i have 30GB more or less on my system partition

This just as an example.

Aberforth

Golden Member
Oct 12, 2006
WEI doesn't look for drive size, 5.9 is the max score for 2007-2008, ms will increase the max score as and when new technologies are available.

will889

Golden Member
Sep 15, 2003
That Vista "experience" rating is so stupid. It's wrong as many times as it seems to be right. So WTF would it rate systems 2-3 years from now - if Vista were still a viable OS by that time? Would the Vista experience app automatically update according to what MS thinks any new system should be rated at? Vista SP2, or win7 needs to drop that shat program.

soonerproud

Golden Member
Jun 30, 2007
Originally posted by: will889
That Vista "experience" rating is so stupid. It's wrong as many times as it seems to be right. So WTF would it rate systems 2-3 years from now - if Vista were still a viable OS by that time? Would the Vista experience app automatically update according to what MS thinks any new system should be rated at? Vista SP2, or win7 needs to drop that shat program.

No it is not stupid if you use it for only what it was intended for. WEI was intended to make buying software a little easier for your specific hardware. WEI is not a benchmarking utility and should not be relied upon to determine how well your system is running. WEI is only intended to help the consumer choose software that is compatible for your specific set up.

For example, my system has a rating of 5.0 due to my processor being the weakest link in the system. I bought a new video card that came with a free copy of The Witcher. Printed on the sleeve was the minimum WEI of 5.0. That means if any of my hardware runs lower than 5.0, then The Witcher may not run properly on that system. Now there is a metric I can use when buying software that makes it easy to make a decision at the retail outlet without getting burned.

In 2-3 years Microsoft will update the scores to reflect the changes in hardware. If your system has a rating of 5.0 today, it will still rate that in 2-3 years. But if your hardware is more powerful than what the original scores were, then when Microsoft updates the numbers, your system will rate higher.

bsobel

Moderator Emeritus<br>Elite Member
Dec 9, 2001

The clueless is strong with this one. To the OP, try to make sure you do have the latest/correct video driver installed.

Chiropteran

Diamond Member
Nov 14, 2003

It's the exact same as any other benchmark. I'd say it's more useful than 3dmark*anything, but not by much.

Goi

Diamond Member
Oct 10, 1999
OK, I am the OP and this has quickly turned into a Vista bashing post, which was not my intention.

Like I mentioned in a post lost among the bashing, the problem turned out to be a loose PCI-e power connector. Problem solved, thanks guys :)

will889

Golden Member
Sep 15, 2003
Originally posted by: Goi
OK, I am the OP and this has quickly turned into a Vista bashing post, which was not my intention.

Like I mentioned in a post lost among the bashing, the problem turned out to be a loose PCI-e power connector. Problem solved, thanks guys :)

Yeah it wasn't mine either. Apologies. Glad you got it sorted out.