Low score with geforce 2 mx on 3dmark2000

fourtwenty

Oct 31, 2000
I just picked up an Asus 7100 geforce 2 mx w/tv out today and I installed it and ran 3dmark 2000. I was hoping for a large jump in perfomance from my voodoo 3 2000 but I only got an increase of about 700 (w/vd3 I scored around 3000, w/gforce it was around 3700). When I compared this score to others people with very similar systems scored around 5-5500. Did I miss something obvious when I installed it? Any comments/suggestions would be appreciated.

Thanks

CompFreak

Banned
Oct 25, 2000
Something is very wrong with the setup. Make sure you got the Detonator3 Drivers. Other people here should be able to help you.

fourtwenty

Oct 31, 2000
I installed the latest nvidia drivers and mobo drivers and have managed to get it up to around 4450 in 3dmark. Is there something I am still missing?

Deeko

Lifer
Jun 16, 2000
Why do you care about 3DMark? It is horrible. Run some game benchmarks, if those are low, let us know....but 3DMark is such a waste. Don't bother with it.

fourtwenty

Oct 31, 2000
How do I run game benchmarks? I've often seen people that publish their fps in certain games but I have never really looked into where they get that info from. The games that i have are:

Quake 2
Half-life
Quake 3 demo

which one of these would work, and how do I use it as a benchmark?

SlimHarpo

Oct 1, 2000
4450 is probably about right for an MX with Det3s at stock speed and your set up. Lots of people who publish their results on madonion.com tweak specifically for 3dmark, which is pointless.

Have you overclocked the card's memory yet? That is a sure way to get a free performance boost.

fourtwenty

Oct 31, 2000
Haven't had a chance to O/C it yet. I wanted to make sure I had it working properly before I go messing with it.

Thanks

Oct 19, 2000
Good gawd Deeko, let up with the 3DMark bashing. Everytime someone mentions 3DMark, you start. It is a great tool to compare your systems with others, and is an excellent way to find out if your system is performing on par. It has helped out lots of people on this board, as well as others, including me. I was getting a really low score, and tweaked and updated till I was getting performance equal or greater to everyone else with a similar setup.

Some say the scores make no sense, but my scores for example, at first were around 1700. After tweaking and updating, they went to around 4400. Sure the numbers themselves don't mean jack squat, but what I can learn from them is that my system's graphics performance was increased around 260%, and that's all that matters.

So don't bash a program if it helps people out, unless you can prove to me how it has actually hurt anybody.