Low profile silent heatsink+Fan for HTPC

Discussion in 'Cases & Cooling' started by lirsch, May 19, 2010.

1. lirsch

lirsch Member

Hi All "Coolers" ... :)
    I'm going to build an i3 (530/540) or i5 (750) HTPC system which will be used mostly for watch Full HD movies, hearing lossless music (attached to Onkyo-607 receiver) and playing a low/mid level graphic games.
    I'd like to find the optimal CPU heatsink + fan (low profile) and case fans which will fit an HTPC case (if you can write me the case's model it will even be better) which will be as silent as it can be (water cooling is not an option) and will spread the hot tempratures as best as it can be.
    I was looking for many hours for the optimal solution in this site, at frostytech.com, quietpc.com etc ... but haven't find the best solution yet.

2. Loading...

Similar Threads - profile silent heatsink+Fan Forum Date
    Low profile air cooler recommendations for Ryzen 1600X Cases & Cooling Apr 30, 2017
    I'm dreaming of a low-profile air cooler Cases & Cooling Apr 17, 2017
    Noctua low profile and skylake Cases & Cooling Jul 6, 2016
    Need a low profile silent AM3 HSF that uses stock mounting Cases & Cooling May 6, 2011
    Silent and low profile cooler for HTPC (S775) Cases & Cooling Oct 17, 2007

3. MadScientist

MadScientist Platinum Member

I'm using a Scythe SCSK-1100 SHURIKEN Rev.B low profile CPU cooler on my i3-530 in a Lian Li P-P37 HTPC case. Cheapest I found it shipped - Bing cash was here: http://www.ewiz.com/detail.php?name=...pes-CPU-Cooler Google for reviews.

Pics of my HTPC in this thread: http://forums.anandtech.com/showthread.php?t=45364&page=30

The Scythe cooler was fairly easy to install. Due to top of the push pins being so close to the bottom of the fins it almost impossible to install it in the case. I'm not a big fan of push pins, but since this cooler is light and sits horizontally they will do.

If my TV stand shelf was a little higher I would have used the Silverstone Grandia GDO5 case; bigger fans, more room, and cheaper, $89.99 shipped from Amazon http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_noss?url=search-alias%3Daps&field-keywords=Silverstone+Grandia+GD05&x=17&y=11
    Review: http://www.silentpcreview.com/silverstone-gd05

#2 MadScientist, May 19, 2010
    Last edited: May 19, 2010
  4. Yellowbeard

Yellowbeard Golden Member

Purely out of curiosity, why have you ruled out water cooling?

5. Barnaby W. Füi

Barnaby W. Füi Elite Member

Shuriken and big shuriken are good options. Another option is to rip the fan off the stock heatsink and rig a quiet 120mm fan onto it (temps should be better than stock, plus quieter).

6. lirsch

lirsch Member

Well, first, I am newbie to it and I'm not going to handle it anyway so ... It's opt out :rolleyes:

7. lirsch

lirsch Member

MadScientist thank you for the reply, I'll take a look at it ...

Any other options?

8. HumblePie

HumblePie Lifer

Ever look at the corsair h50?

9. lirsch

lirsch Member

Sorry, no water cooling...

10. frostedflakes

frostedflakes Diamond Member

Chalk up another recommendation for the Big Shuriken. Just be careful about compatibility, the heatsink is low profile but very wide. It's tall enough to clear normal sized RAM modules, but if you buy ones with tall heatsinks you'll probably run into issues.

Also, if you don't plan on overclocking, you might consider undervolting the CPU to further reduce heat and noise.

11. lirsch

lirsch Member

Thanks for the recommendation.

Do you think the Big Shuriken is the best heatsink out there? What is the best silent fan I can add for it?

Do you have any idea for a compatible case?

12. Yellowbeard

Yellowbeard Golden Member

13. Fallen Kell

Fallen Kell Diamond Member

I would chime in to help, but I am of the opposite camp, get a huge case with huge heatsinks and huge slow moving fans to stay silent....