Low FPS in Windows 7

calyco

Oct 7, 2004
So I am using an old Asus laptop with a Pentium M 1.86 and X700 GPU, for my occasional gaming it is good enough. With the shaders down I can still get about 45-90fps on Company of Heroes and TF2. In TF2 and a 32 player server, my fps usually never drops below 30 fps even in huge firefights and averages about 60 (running it in windows XP and directx8.1). I just installed Windows 7 RC and it runs great so far, everything on desktop feels much faster and more responsive than XP. However with the same exact settings I had in TF2 on XP, gaming took a 50% fps drop in Windows 7, averaging about 25fps. So far Ive tried disabling the firewall and checking connection but everything seems fine, ping is about 100 and download speed in other apps is maxed out. Also dont think its my cpu since everything else other than gaming seems to run faster on Windows 7 than XP. Just wanted to find out if anyone else was experiencing lower fps with Windows 7, Im guessing the problem is probably directx or drivers. Any help would be appreciated.

schneiderguy

Lifer
Jun 26, 2006
Does ATI even have Windows7 drivers for the x700 cards? I thought they dropped support for everything below the hd 2xxx cards.

Qbah

Diamond Member
Oct 18, 2005
Originally posted by: schneiderguy
Does ATI even have Windows7 drivers for the x700 cards? I thought they dropped support for everything below the hd 2xxx cards.

Not dropped, put on a 3-month cycle with updates.

As for the problem, perhaps the game is running in windowed mode? Games take a performance hit when running like that. And there are "full-screen-windowed" modes in a few games. Never played TF2, so don't really know. Worth a check though.