Low carb diet NOT Atkins promotes weight loss better low fat diet

BaliBabyDoc

Lifer
Jan 20, 2001
CNN
"This is not what people think of when they think about an Atkins diet," Greene said. Nevertheless, the Atkins organization agreed to pay for the research, though it had no input into the study's design, conduct or analysis.

This is not peer-reviewed science just a presentation at a national meeting but the results are interesting. The most appropriate interpretation (ie mine) if you give people enough, good food they will not cheat on their diet. Accordingly, it is likely they can lose substantial weight on a calorie restricted regimen.

Furthermore, this study used ultralow carbs (5% is roughly 18g carbs for women and 22g of carbs for men). The 65% fat was almost entirely mono- and poly-unsaturated. There's a typo in the article, I believe the low carb group got 30% of their daily calories from protein NOT 15%.

BaliBabyDoc

Lifer
Jan 20, 2001
Actually eating a good, mixed meal that is low in processed material and high in fiber will make you less hungry. A liter of water with your meals will do wonders as well.

ElFenix

Elite Member
Super Moderator
Mar 20, 2000
"This is not what people think of when they think about an Atkins diet,"
these people ate mostly fish, chicken, salads, vegetables and unsaturated oils.
that is damn near exactly what my roommate ate when he was on the atkins diet. he had a lot of salads (which, with the way mcdonald's and wendy's are competing, has become quite easy to do in the last year)

Moonbeam

Elite Member
Nov 24, 1999
Anybody can loose weight eating weeds. I lost 35 lb in a month running and eating one steak and one tomatoe a day. The thing I don't like about running, though, is that it makes you tired.

ElFenix

Elite Member
Super Moderator
Mar 20, 2000
Originally posted by: Moonbeam
Anybody can loose weight eating weeds. I lost 35 lb in a month running and eating one steak and one tomatoe a day. The thing I don't like about running, though, is that it makes you tired.

yeah, but sleep is good