Low AS SSD 4k-64 score with Samsung 950 Pro on Lenovo Y50

corinthos

Golden Member
Mar 22, 2000
I have a Samsung 850 Pro 512gb SSD drive that I've been using in my Windows 10 desktop encrypted with bitlocker. Never benchmarked it on there but should have.

The other day I put it into my Lenovo Y50-70 laptop and compared the speed to my Toshiba Radius 12.5" notebook which has a Samsung SSD SATA card and loaded Visual Studio faster, causing me to look into why.

I installed Intel rapid storage driver first and ran the AS SSD benchmark program and noticed the low 4k-64 score. I then uninstalled the Intel rapid storage driver and reran with not much difference..still scored 800-something.. and this drive should do 1200-something..

I also tried resetting power settings to default and ran the benchmark on low, med and high profiles and the disparity between the two notebooks remained.

I checked device manager and storahci and the registry value was 0, so ahci was enabled.

I have no BIOS settings available letting me change c-states on the Y50 laptop, so I can't try disabling them and rerunning the benchmark.

THe only thing I haven't tried yet is running some Samsung optimizer utility on the drive and trying again.

Anyone have any suggestions on what else can be tried to get the 850 Pro to run at its potential on the Y50? Or is there some architectural limitation that limits the drive on this notebook?