• Guest, The rules for the P & N subforum have been updated to prohibit "ad hominem" or personal attacks against other posters. See the full details in the post "Politics and News Rules & Guidelines."

Discussion 'Lovelace'? Next gen Nvidia gaming architecture speculation

Page 3 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Mopetar

Diamond Member
Jan 31, 2011
Going wider probably wouldn't do much for making Ampere better. If DLSS takes off or improves, it actually means that cards should reduce shader count because what's the point of trying to render at 4K if you can just up-sample to 4K and get far better FPS. Throw out shaders and pack in more RT hardware instead.

Reactions: GodisanAtheist

GodisanAtheist

Platinum Member
Nov 16, 2006
Going wider probably wouldn't do much for making Ampere better. If DLSS takes off or improves, it actually means that cards should reduce shader count because what's the point of trying to render at 4K if you can just up-sample to 4K and get far better FPS. Throw out shaders and pack in more RT hardware instead.
- DLSS is a really killer feature for mobile or portable devices if it allows less hardware (lower power) to do the same or more work. Smaller screen on the portable side of the console will help diminish any impact in visual quality in a "performance DLSS" mode, while the docked higher power mode can fall back to a "quality DLSS" setting.

Ajay

Diamond Member
Jan 8, 2001
Ampere+ is exactly what it looks like. Theoretical SS 5 density is almost double that of SS8 however so they could easily just jack up the SM counts by 25% or more.
I had read that SS N5 was having problems* ramping up to HVM, has that changed?

*Not sure what the cause was.

fleshconsumed

Diamond Member
Feb 21, 2002
The two questions are, will it be bottlenecked by CPU just as badly as 30 series, and will we be able to buy it at all?

Mopetar

Diamond Member
Jan 31, 2011
The two questions are, will it be bottlenecked by CPU just as badly as 30 series, and will we be able to buy it at all?
Unless they go back to using a hardware scheduler, it's going to result in additional CPU overhead that naturally means it will bottleneck at the CPU sooner than it otherwise would. All that it really means is that the point will move a bit down the stack towards mid-range cards when gaming at 1080p using an older CPU.

The second is anyone's guess because it really depends on what the crypto market looks like. If nothing changes then the answer is effectively no unless you're willing to camp out, set up a bot of your own, or just pay the scalper's price. Alternatively the market could tank and the real question will be whether to buy Lovelace or to scoop up a cheap used Ampere card instead because there will be a massive flood of cards hitting the market as soon as mining isn't profitable.

Ajay

Diamond Member
Jan 8, 2001
I haven't followed the recent bottleneck issue, though recent driver versions are causing framerate drops in one of my games.
Whether or not we'll be able to buy rests mostly on the price of ethereum. Though, arguably, if NV keeps the same shader counts, die size would go down and dice per wafer would increase leading to more supply - so long as yields don't tank.

moonbogg

Lifer
Jan 8, 2011
Lovelace should make a fantastic mining product. I'm sure these cards are already spoken for by huge mining firms. Just saying.

Ajay

Diamond Member
Jan 8, 2001
Lovelace should make a fantastic mining product. I'm sure these cards are already spoken for by huge mining firms. Just saying.
I just hope that NV and AMD do build into hardware something that kills hash rates on Gaming Cards.

Magic Carpet

Diamond Member
Oct 2, 2011
- DLSS is a really killer feature for mobile or portable devices if it allows less hardware (lower power) to do the same or more work.
Can’t wait for the new Switch, personally.

The new Switch iteration will support Nvidia’s Deep Learning Super Sampling, or DLSS, a novel rendering technology that uses artificial intelligence to deliver higher-fidelity graphics more efficiently. That will allow the console, which is also set for an OLED display upgrade, to reproduce game visuals at 4K quality when plugged into a TV, said the people, who asked not to be identified because the plan is not public.

ASK THE COMMUNITY