Love the new Transformers: War for Cybertron game

nyker96

Diamond Member
Apr 19, 2005
I'm a transformers fan since grade school when the animate was running in the afternoons. So I couldn't resist and bought a copy of the game (PC version) for mostly the campaign portion of the game. I got through about 3 hours of it past weekend and this game is very impressively done, cool graphics and great voice acting (sounds just like the original animate.) The coolest part is the transformation, the sound is well done, makes you actually feel like you are controlling a real transformer.

And after than 3 hours, it's only 1/8th of the game, if this holds up I think the game is about 20-25hrs long. And the option to let you select different characters adds some replay enticements. But slight repetitiveness in the waves of enemies causes it to loose some luster for me.

overall, 4.5/5 for me.

NoQuarter

Golden Member
Jan 1, 2001
I liked the art and style but didn't care for the gameplay. The pacing is really fast, which is both awesome and a flaw I think. You're always fighting so it seems exciting but it manages to make every fight feel like a generic encounter with Unreal Tournament bots. Which is basically what the game is, just non-stop UT bots that look like Transformers.

But hearing Soundwave is awesome.

I4AT

Platinum Member
Oct 28, 2006
I was interested mainly for the MP until I found out it was a weak console port. There are no dedicated servers, if the host leaves there's no migration so the game just ends, weak mouse emulation so the cursor moves at different speeds on the X and Y axis, zero key bind customization.

I might grab it when it's bargain bin for PS3, but I'm definitely not gonna spend my money on such a lazy PC port.

JoshGuru7

Golden Member
Aug 18, 2001
2/5 for me.

The overall combat is pretty good. It's fast and pretty fun, the transforming feels smooth and natural and once you get the hang of it it's a nice wrinkle for team deathmatch. The overall balance between vehicles, ranged weapons and melee feels pretty good.

Co-op PvE is kind of weak. My friend and I found ourselves fighting over ammo constantly because of the scarcity of ammo drops, every fight feels basically the same, and after a couple of chapters we just decided to go back to borderlands.

Multiplayer has potential with a major drawback. Unfortunately, the lack of dedicated servers is a huge flaw because of how they implemented their hosting. The host can intentionally quit when the game is about to end and everybody loses connection, along with the majority of the experience they would have gained from that match. This happens *a lot* - maybe 5 times in 15 matches so far.

Lastly, there aren't very many people playing the PC version. I was playing TDM earlier today and there were about 200 people in the total pool. I've already been matched up against the same people several times, and I think on the PC this is going to go the way of UT3 and be very scarcely populated.

Rifter

Lifer
Oct 9, 1999
I was interested mainly for the MP until I found out it was a weak console port. There are no dedicated servers, if the host leaves there's no migration so the game just ends, weak mouse emulation so the cursor moves at different speeds on the X and Y axis, zero key bind customization.

I played it at a friends and this was my outlook as well, how the hell are you supposed to shoot well with x/z not synced to the same movement rate. And the MP is just gay, like the most gay ever, oh im loosing and im hosting, see you guys have fun not playing a game cause im leaving and that means you all get booted.

-2/5

richierich1212

Platinum Member
Jul 5, 2002
yeah I used my bestbuy rewards certificate to get this game as well. No keyboard chat at all? Are you kidding me?

nyker96

Diamond Member
Apr 19, 2005
I liked the art and style but didn't care for the gameplay. The pacing is really fast, which is both awesome and a flaw I think. You're always fighting so it seems exciting but it manages to make every fight feel like a generic encounter with Unreal Tournament bots. Which is basically what the game is, just non-stop UT bots that look like Transformers.

But hearing Soundwave is awesome.

Yes I just played Soundwave last night, although his voice is cool but the fact that they missed his specialty of ejecting multiple cassette like transformer minions is disappointing for me. But anyways, nowadays who uses cassettes anymore?

I don't think this game is superior to something like UT which is definitely better as a FPS. What I love most is the story, the familiar characters and the Cybertron atmosphere.

I might grab it when it's bargain bin for PS3, but I'm definitely not gonna spend my money on such a lazy PC port.

Personally the multiplayer doesn't interest me at all. I think for a good multiplayer game like TF2 will beat it any day. Most movie/comic based games are not very good multiplayer games, they mostly provide the multiplayer option just because it's standard now.

dpodblood

Diamond Member
May 20, 2010
I'm considering picking up this game for PS3, but considering how little I get to play Left 4 Dead, MW2, and Guild Wars why add another game to the pile?

Soundmanred

Lifer
Oct 26, 2006
I think it's an alright game, but I've never been big on the Cybertron stuff.
If they made a game of G1 stuff based on the first few seasons of the cartoon, I would really enjoy that.
I was more into the cartoons than the comics, I never could get into them.
On a related note, I got a Transformers book this weekend from '85 for 25 cents. :)
041908&

Liet

Golden Member
Jun 9, 2001
Well, I'm enjoying it. It was hyped as the "Next Batman:AA", but it's nowhere NEAR as complex, imaginative, and enjoyable. It's not great. BUT, the atmosphere is very well done, and the voice acting is great! They got the original Optimus Prime dude, Soundwave sounds kickass, the visual style is very modern, not kiddie.

The gameplay is a bit like Gears of War, except very simplified and with no cover, and you have the ability to do each mission as one of several characters (although the mission remains exactly the same, so meh).

MP is decent, but as mentioned it is definitely a port... Host leaves and you're booted, automatic matchmaking, etc etc. You can play as one of four classes, and over time you accumulate points that unlock different perks and special abilities. That alone is making it kind of fun for me, but surely after a while it'll be a game I never play again except for the occasional MP game.

Pick it up for $10 - $20, but no more.

Scooby Doo

Golden Member
Sep 1, 2006
If they made a game of G1 stuff based on the first few seasons of the cartoon, I would really enjoy that.
On a related note, I got a Transformers book this weekend from '85 for 25 cents. :)
041908%20(76).JPG

LOL the long lost 7th constructicon

nyker96

Diamond Member
Apr 19, 2005
041908%20(76).JPG

very nice, I just love those Constructorcons especially when they go merge. Nothing like that in the game though (so far, I'm up to the autobot's campaign). Maybe they'll pull an awesome finale but so far I've fought Omega Supreme as the final boss in the Deceptorcon campaign.

Soundmanred

Lifer
Oct 26, 2006
LOL the long lost 7th constructicon

The cover is actually confusing if you haven't read the book. At first look, most would wonder why the two Decepticons are scared of Devastator, and also wonder how he was formed since one of them is a Constructicon. :)
The book is a semi Trojan Horse story where the Autobots build a fake Devastator.

Played more of the game today, and I just can't get into it. It's ok for a run and gun game, but there's just too much going on to enjoy it.
Although it's way better than the games based on the movies, I'm just not sold on it.
I do hope it does well so that they will make more games in the future.
The style is great, the environment is great (if you are into Cybertron, which I'm personally not into the the looks of the vehicles, etc) and it plays well.
There have been some "wow, that's pretty cool" moments (Soundwave, etc) but overall I can't play for very long before quitting.
(Yet somehow I completed Lego Harry Potter: Years 1-4 100% in a few days) :)

nyker96

Diamond Member
Apr 19, 2005
2/5 for me.

Co-op PvE is kind of weak. My friend and I found ourselves fighting over ammo constantly because of the scarcity of ammo drops, every fight feels basically the same, and after a couple of chapters we just decided to go back to borderlands.

ok, I'm almost through the single player campaign, a few tips for those finding it hard to get ammo.

1. there are re-spawning points in the game for ammo, so you essentially get unlimited ammo when you play near that point. In general any hard levels, you get one, I just use rocket launcher (which normally is low ammo, high damage weapon) and sit near that re-spawning spot and I get a powerful weapon with no ammo limit.

2. try to get one of those air turret guns and rip it off the turret. that thing can stop anything has 300 rounds. so ammo problem solved.

3. get the sniper rifle with 144 max round, that gun can be used forever and does insane damage to distant as well as close foes. You almost never run out of ammo with that gun.

4. this game is tight on ammo so don't just shoot into space for fun. that should save you a ton of lead.

hope this can be useful for someone playing this game.

ModestGamer

Banned
Jun 30, 2010
I am having a blast playing this game. Its fun and honestly it doesn't require I commit my life to playing it to enjoy it. To many other games have people who are way way way to deep into playin them. Kind of ruins it if you have to get that involved in a game. Its fun to pickup the controller and play for a few hours.

To the guys complaining about the keyboard and mouse implentation. Buy a xbox 360 and quit whining. There are just to many things you need to do fast to enjoy playing the game and a keyboard and mouse are not conducive to the game play.

I give this game a 7.5 outta 10

BHetrick

Aug 22, 2010
I started playing it. The graphics are great and it plays fairly well. I really didn't like not being able to change my key layout. After a while I lost interest, though. It'll be one of those games I finish when I have nothing else to play.

Liet

Golden Member
Jun 9, 2001
As predicted - I stopped playing weeks ago and haven't touched it since.

Gee, do I want to play Transformers MP, or TF2? HMMMM.

I do think the SP campaign has merits though, and you can tell that the devs tried hard with this one.

ModestGamer

Banned
Jun 30, 2010
I started playing it. The graphics are great and it plays fairly well. I really didn't like not being able to change my key layout. After a while I lost interest, though. It'll be one of those games I finish when I have nothing else to play.

plays great with a xbox360 controller on PC

ModestGamer

Banned
Jun 30, 2010
If I start playing it again I'll give it a try.

xbox 360 controllers are cheap and alot of games use them. I have no idea how many guys are still playing halo2 but its works great for halo 2 halo Ce etc etc etc. My personal preference is the xbox360 controller vrs mouse/keyboard for most things.

Also as we start getting more consoule ports "then we have now" I'd bet the bulk of them will be xbox ports and the likelyhood of well optimized control schemes for the xbox360 controller are pretty likely.