Discussion Love AnandTech.. Built computer with my son (Haven't built a computer in 20 years..)

Papagayo

Platinum Member
Jul 28, 2003
I did some research and bought all the pieces after finding all the deals from his forum and others..
Just wanted to share my build..

Rosewill PRISM S500 ATX Mid tower
Intel i7-12700
ASUS Z690-PLUS TUF Gaming WiFi DDR4 Intel LGA 1700 ATX Motherboard
GSKILL DDR 4-3600 (4x8)
2TB NVME SSD
ID-cooling Frostflow x 280 CPU water cooler
artic MX-4 Thermal Paste
Thermaltake Smart BM2 750W Power supply..

Free Windows 11 (Thanks to OSU - Free to Students)

Gigabyte RTX 3060Ti OC 8G (this only needed 1 (8 pin power plug)

Total cost: around $950

I had my son put together most of the items. This way he also learns what each pieces do and how it connects..
His major is computer programming, but had no idea about computer hardware..
I think we got lucky.. after we put together the computer, it booted up without any issues
Had it running several days straight testing all the games..

Our Goal was to build a computer that can handle all games at 1080p with all options on..

Last edited:

BoomerD

No Lifer
Feb 26, 2006
Sounds great. I'd rather have 2x16GB of RAM than 4x8, but it's not a big deal either way.
How are your temps with that cooler?

The i7-12700K was one of the processors I was considering when I did my recent build. In the end, I went with the i5-13600K.

Are you using the intel cpu graphics, or did you add a video card that isn't listed?

Papagayo

Platinum Member
Jul 28, 2003
Sounds great. I'd rather have 2x16GB of RAM than 4x8, but it's not a big deal either way.
How are your temps with that cooler?

The i7-12700K was one of the processors I was considering when I did my recent build. In the end, I went with the i5-13600K.

Are you using the intel cpu graphics, or did you add a video card that isn't listed?

Forgot to add..

I did install Gigabyte RTX 3060Ti OC 8G (this only needed 1 (8 pin power plug))

Memory was Craigslist purchase, I thought it was a good deal for $60 for 32GB. (has heatsink and lights to match the case)

I think at idle.. it was around 35-40
gaming was about 55-60..

It was weird, I thought it would run hotter..

Love the cooler, the only bad part is 280 mm radiator/fan was tricky to install, because everything was designed for 240mm..

I removed the plate that would hold sata drives and it fit perfect..

Water cooler was very easy to install on the CPU. It does come with thermal paste, but decided to get my own paste..

If you are interested in the cooler, let me know.. I can take a picture of the case with the cooler in it..(to show you how I got it setup)

Papagayo

Platinum Member
Jul 28, 2003
Update with Pictures.. I also did not realize that this MB has 4 M.2 slots.. which is nice..
I tried to make a clean build without many cables everywhere.. I also 3d printed a mount for the watertube, so that it's tucked.

Asus Armoury Crate software control all the lights on the Case and Memory.. It's setup to Smart mode.. if the CPU Temp gets hot, the colors change..

Inside Case lights.jpgInside Case Raw.jpg

Reactions: DAPUNISHER

DAPUNISHER

Super Moderator CPU Forum Mod and Elite Member
Super Moderator
Aug 22, 2001
3D printing the mount, nice.

I really dig the bang for buck you managed here. After 2yrs of value going right in the trash, it is great to see builds like this being done again.

My only critique is the 3060ti, if it was priced similarly to the 6700XT. If you got a great deal good on you. Otherwise the 8GB VRAM defeated your stated goal - "Our Goal was to build a computer that can handle all games at 1080p with all options on"

Not trying to harsh your buzz; more of a comment for other prospective builders checking your's out.

Papagayo

Platinum Member
Jul 28, 2003
3D printing the mount, nice.

I really dig the bang for buck you managed here. After 2yrs of value going right in the trash, it is great to see builds like this being done again.

My only critique is the 3060ti, if it was priced similarly to the 6700XT. If you got a great deal good on you. Otherwise the 8GB VRAM defeated your stated goal - "Our Goal was to build a computer that can handle all games at 1080p with all options on"

Not trying to harsh your buzz; more of a comment for other prospective builders checking your's out.
I can give you the break down.. I purchased the 3060ti around January for around $300.. I thought it was a good deal.. I have 6600xt on my computer.. thought of trying Nvidia on my son's..

Rosewill PRISM S500 ATX Mid tower = $60
Intel i7-12700 + ASUS Z690-PLUS TUF Gaming WiFi DDR4 Intel LGA 1700 ATX Motherboard = $310
GSKILL DDR 4-3600 (4x8) = $60
2TB NVME SSD = $120
ID-cooling Frostflow x 280 CPU water cooler = $60
artic MX-4 Thermal Paste = $5
Thermaltake Smart BM2 750W Power supply.. = $60
Gigabyte RTX 3060Ti OC 8G (this only needed 1 (8 pin power plug) = $300
Free Windows 11 (Thanks to OSU - Free to Students)

After 2 years.. He just need to upgrade the videocard to be better..
Pretty sure it can handle all 1080p games.. Runs quiet and Fast..
More important.. My son learn to build and understand how each parts work..

I probably over paid on some items.. but it was lot of fun building and sharing with my son..

Last edited: