Louisiana bill would ban contracts if vendor boycotts Israel

UglyCasanova

Lifer
Mar 25, 2001
https://www.knoe.com/content/news/L...acts-if-vendor-boycotts-Israel-509222241.html

BATON ROUGE, La. (AP) - Louisiana government agencies would be able to refuse contracts with companies that boycott Israel, under a bill that has won the backing of the House budget committee.​
The measure by Republican Rep. Valarie Hodges, of Denham Springs, is similar to legislation approved or under consideration in other states.​
Hodges' proposal would allow public entities to reject a low bid from a vendor or scrap a contract with a company if it boycotts or participates in a sanctions campaign against Israel.​
A financial analysis notes that Democratic Gov. John Bel Edwards issued an executive order that directs state agencies to disqualify bids from and cancel contracts with some companies if they boycott Israel.​
The Appropriations Committee advanced Hodges' proposal to the House floor without objection Monday.​

Insanity. Welcome to Louisiana politics. :mad:

Thump553

Lifer
Jun 2, 2000
Interesting-this seems to be a bipartisan effort-the proposed bill is from a GOP but it mirrors an executive order from the Dem governor.

Hey in my area there are towns passing ordinances prohibiting transportation or dumping of fracking waste even though there is no fracking remotely near here. It may be different in Louisiana though-don't most of MidEast oil producing countries require a boycott of Israel?

Last edited:

UglyCasanova

Lifer
Mar 25, 2001
I don’t care if people don’t want to serve someone, that’s their choice. I have issue with the government doing this.

zinfamous

No Lifer
Jul 12, 2006
I disagree with this, this is punishment over politics. .

lol you obvious asshole. Like you ever fucking disagree with this. Now, let's go back to your ra-ra'ing Trump's fascist plan to transport humans into liberal states as perceived punishment for their politics. You soaked your trousers for an entire week over that one.

brandonbull

Diamond Member
May 3, 2005
lol you obvious asshole. Like you ever fucking disagree with this. Now, let's go back to your ra-ra'ing Trump's fascist plan to transport humans into liberal states as perceived punishment for their politics. You soaked your trousers for an entire week over that one.

So you just want to dump out humans in areas not designed to handle a large influx of people? I guess you don't care once they get here.

allisolm

Elite Member
Administrator
Jan 2, 2001
I believe there are nearly 30 states which already have similar legislation already in place and several more with it pending. So far legal challenges to several of those in place are making their way through the system and in Texas, Kansas and Arizona they have been declared unconstitutional. I'm sure those rulings are under appeal.

https://www.lawfareblog.com/breakin...irst-amendment-challenges-state-anti-bds-laws

I personally am not in favor of laws that require someone attempting to get or who is part of a government contract to sign a declaration that they will not boycott Israel. That's a little too much hands on governing for me.

Hayabusa Rider

Admin Emeritus & Elite Member
Jan 26, 2000
Chick-Fil-A, businesses run by gays, boycotts of Israel have one thing in common and that is the government has no business in punishing people for LAWFUL actions.