Louisiana atheist vilified for objecting to prayer in public school

Pheran

Diamond Member
Apr 26, 2001
AlterNet article

Just in case anyone thought it was "safe" to be an atheist in the US in this day and age - not really. Was this a dick move on Fowler's part? Your call, but the law is on his side.

High School Student Stands Up Against Prayer at Public School and Is Ostracized, Demeaned and Threatened

May 25, 2011

Whatever you think about atheists -- good, bad, mixed, indifferent -- this story should seriously trouble you.

Damon Fowler, an atheist student at Bastrop High School in Louisiana, was about to graduate. His public school was planning to have a prayer as part of the graduation ceremony: as they traditionally did, as so many public schools around the country do every year. But Fowler -- knowing that government-sponsored prayer in the public schools is unconstitutional and legally forbidden -- contacted the school superintendent to let him know that he opposed the prayer, and would be contacting the ACLU if it happened. The school -- at first, anyway -- agreed, and canceled the prayer.

Then Fowler's name, and his role in this incident, was leaked. As a direct result:

1) Fowler has been hounded, pilloried, and ostracized by his community.

2) One of Fowler's teachers has publicly demeaned him.

3) Fowler has been physically threatened. Students have threatened to "jump him" at graduation practice, and he has received multiple threats of bodily harm, and even death threats.

4) Fowler's parents have cut off his financial support, kicked him out of the house, and thrown his belongings onto the front porch.

Oh, and by the way? They went ahead and had the graduation prayer anyway.

[article continues, see above link]

Last edited by a moderator:

Bateluer

Lifer
Jun 23, 2001
There's no reason not to have a prayer at graduation. If such a little thing offends you, grow some balls. Its not like the prayer is going to be calling the students to strap bombs to their chests and board the subway. It'd be a simple, well meaning prayer to have a higher power watch over the newly graduation students are they enter the adult world.

HAL9000

Lifer
Oct 17, 2010
Religion is fucking retarded and it's backed by society in the USA much more than it should be.

Ronstang

Lifer
Jul 8, 2000
fowler shoulda just stfu. u dont wanna pray, then dont follow along.

Pretty much how is should be and how it has been for quite some time. No one is forcing you to pray or even believe in any kind of religion if you don't want so why do annoying atheists try to FORCE the overwhelming majority of people to do things their way. I am not religious at all and many very religious people get on my nerves but it seems that the vocal atheists are the most annoying of all.

frostedflakes

Diamond Member
Mar 1, 2005
He's become the center of what he terms a "shitstorm"
Made me LOL.

I wouldn't have made a big stink about the issue, though, especially if I was an atheist living in the bible belt...

Bateluer

Lifer
Jun 23, 2001
The 14th amendment in conjunction with 1st amendment says NO to school prayer.

No, actually, it doesn't.

They aren't forcing him to do anything. They aren't forcing him to believe anything. They aren't forcing him to say anything. They aren't forcing him to listen to anything.

Also,

1) Fowler has been hounded, pilloried, and ostracized by his community.

2) One of Fowler's teachers has publicly demeaned him.

3) Fowler has been physically threatened. Students have threatened to "jump him" at graduation practice, and he has received multiple threats of bodily harm, and even death threats.

4) Fowler's parents have cut off his financial support, kicked him out of the house, and thrown his belongings onto the front porch.

From these, I don't think he can actually sue the school, since they haven't done anything. The only lawsuit he really has is against the students threatening him with bodily harm, etc. The teacher was just exercising their free speech, and his parents are within their rights to not pay for his college and expel him from their house. He's an adult now.

Last edited:

DCal430

Diamond Member
Feb 12, 2011
You could give the $100 you won't be giving to the Salvation Army to him for his legal fund.

That money will go to another charity. One of the countless charities I give money too. I try to give at least 10-15% of my income a year to charity.

busydude

Diamond Member
Feb 5, 2010
Pretty much how is should be and how it has been for quite some time. No one is forcing you to pray or even believe in any kind of religion if you don't want so why do annoying atheists try to FORCE the overwhelming majority of people to do things their way. I am not religious at all and many very religious people get on my nerves but it seems that the vocal atheists are the most annoying of all.

I am not sure if you were speaking regarding the article.. but I think Fowler was pretty discreet. Everyone turned on him only after his name got leaked.

moshquerade

No Lifer
Nov 1, 2001
That money will go to another charity. One of the countless charities I give money too. I try to give at least 10-15% of my income a year to charity.
Sounds like this guy really needs your charity, and you support him suing.
You should really fund him. He sounds worthwhile.

Gibson486

Lifer
Aug 9, 2000
Religion is fucking retarded and it's backed by society in the USA much more than it should be.

So...what does the US have to do with it? It's backed by pretty much every country in the world....

Seriously, your anti US agenda gets boring after a while. It's like you take every little scrap you can find and link the US to it just so you can prove some point that you do not like the US.

Bateluer

Lifer
Jun 23, 2001

So, you donate a dime or so to the Take-a-Penny, Leave-a-Penny dish? :p

HAL9000

Lifer
Oct 17, 2010
So...what does the US have to do with it? It's backed by pretty much every country in the world....

Seriously, your anti US agenda gets boring after a while. It's like you take every little scrap you can find and link the US to it just so you can prove some point that you do not like the US.

Fair point, but when your country has a rule that it has a separation of church and state it needs to stick with that, not be "one nation under god" or being "in god we trust"

Jimmah

Golden Member
Mar 18, 2005
I hope he sues and wins. Also kind of hoping the school burns down too, just for kicks.

Rage187

Lifer
Dec 30, 2000
I wish they would change it to PN&R and move all these religious/anti religion threads out of off topic.

Mar 11, 2004
There's no reason not to have a prayer at graduation. If such a little thing offends you, grow some balls. Its not like the prayer is going to be calling the students to strap bombs to their chests and board the subway. It'd be a simple, well meaning prayer to have a higher power watch over the newly graduation students are they enter the adult world.

There's no reason to have it there either.

Grow some balls? And do nothing? Yeah, real ballsy move there. :rolleyes:

I don't really agree with him ratting it out, pick your battles and ignore shit like this. Move away and never come back.

His parents are straight up pathetic but hey, as are the people making threats.

Bateluer

Lifer
Jun 23, 2001
There's no reason to have it there either.

Grow some balls? And do nothing? Yeah, real ballsy move there. :rolleyes:

He was trying to force his own beliefs on every one else far more than they were trying to force their beliefs on him. Reread my statements several posts up.

His parents are straight up pathetic but hey, as are the people making threats.

I agree, but they've done nothing illegal. Parent's aren't required to pay for their childrens' college education, nor are they required to provide room&board once the individual turns 18. Its a dick move, but perfectly within their rights to do.

Malak

Lifer
Dec 4, 2004
The 14th amendment in conjunction with 1st amendment says NO to school prayer.

Actually the first amendment says yes. As others have said, the prayer is not a requirement and the students don't have to follow along. He made the dick move and started the threats. Not saying everyone else is justified, but he started it.