Lotus Elise! Man, what a car!

Page 3 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

JulesMaximus

No Lifer
Jul 3, 2003
Originally posted by: funboy42
Looks like fun but doesnt it have a 4 cyl engine? And you say it has blind spots, badly? To me the car is like a camero or mustang with a 4 or 6 cyl engine in it. Looks bad as hell but no real get up and go or sound to go with the looks of the car. Almost like the car was designed for a woman.
And yes GM stuck a 4 banger in the Cameros, what a joke.

Dude, no offense, but you don't know what you're talking about. This car weighs a bit over 1900lbs and the engine makes 200hp. This car will do 13's in the quarter mile bone stock (and I think it is probably inhibited by the tight ratio 6 speed gearbox in the 1/4 mile times) but that's not where it shines. It shines in handling and braking. No stock Mustang or Camaro could hang with this car in the twisties and you'd have to spend big money to make those cars beat it. It will pull over 1g in lateral acceleration in a corner.

CtK

Diamond Member
Feb 22, 2001
Looks like fun but doesnt it have a 4 cyl engine? And you say it has blind spots, badly? To me the car is like a camero or mustang with a 4 or 6 cyl engine in it. Looks bad as hell but no real get up and go or sound to go with the looks of the car. Almost like the car was designed for a woman.

im pretty sure this car will smoke a V6 and keep up with a V8 crapstang

iamwiz82

Lifer
Jan 10, 2001
Originally posted by: JulesMaximus

Dude, no offense, but you don't know what you're talking about. This car weighs a bit over 1900lbs and the engine makes 200hp. This car will do 13's in the quarter mile bone stock but that's not where it shines. It shines in handling and braking. No stock Mustang or Camaro could hang with this car in the twisties. It will pull over 1g in lateral acceleration in a corner.

There isn't much out there that could hang with it.

JulesMaximus

No Lifer
Jul 3, 2003
Originally posted by: mariok2006
Anybody know how it compares to the S2000 in daily driving?

I haven't driven an S2000 but I can tell you that driving the Elise daily would be very uncomfortable. To say that it's difficult to get in and out of is an understatement. It is also very very slim on creature comforts. Sure you can get it with A/C and the heater is pretty good actually but this is a car that was designed to be extremely light weight, fast and fun to drive.

The S2000 was designed to be a fast and reasonably comfortable 2 seat convertible which it excels at. But the Elise is a viceral car that just screams performance...and it delivers.

cessna152

Golden Member
Feb 10, 2002
I'm so jealous right now. LOL. I wish you could still get a Lotus 340R. :( That would be a nice track day car.

JulesMaximus

No Lifer
Jul 3, 2003

BTW-The engine in this car will rev to about 8 grand and it sounds more like a Ferrari at full song. Definitely not like a 4 banger econo crap American car.

JulesMaximus

No Lifer
Jul 3, 2003
Originally posted by: Rudy Toody
Pic
getting in and out of that thing is like some sort of sick joke. With the top on you have literally fall into it butt first and then try to swing your legs in and around the steering wheel. It's much easier to do with the top off though.

F-F-F is an old sports car abbreviation about entering/exiting the car.

Foot. Fanny. Foot.

Okay, I found a video of someone demonstrating how to enter and exit this car or pretty much any car that is, a) this low to the ground and, b) has a wide door sill and a small point of entry. You're correct, the F-F-F method is the best way and it works. My problem with it was primarily hand placement. You really have to set your left hand on the door sill (assuming a left hand drive vehicle) and your right hand on the steering wheel. Right foot goes in, you ease your arse in and then swing the other foot in. Exiting is pretty much the reverse.

Getting in and out with the top off is much easier.

BTW-I still have the car. I decided to keep it through the weekend. :D I took the wife for a ride down the coast today with the top off. We had lunch at the Beach House right on the beach and then drove back home. It was 70 degrees today and I actually got a bit of a tan. :thumbsup:

I gotta get me one of these...

Chaotic42

Lifer
Jun 15, 2001
How tall are you? I think I would have a hard time getting in and out of that thing. I can barely get in my friend's Corvette.

JulesMaximus

No Lifer
Jul 3, 2003
Originally posted by: Chaotic42
How tall are you? I think I would have a hard time getting in and out of that thing. I can barely get in my friend's Corvette.

I'm 5' 11"

My friend who is 6'2" had a about the same amount of difficulty getting in and out with the top on as I did initially. He had plenty of headroom once inside though.

overst33r

Diamond Member
Oct 3, 2004
Pic
getting in and out of that thing is like some sort of sick joke. With the top on you have literally fall into it butt first and then try to swing your legs in and around the steering wheel. It's much easier to do with the top off though.

Foot. Fanny. Foot.

Okay, I found a video of someone demonstrating how to enter and exit this car or pretty much and car that is, a) this low to the ground and, b) has a wide door sill and a small point of entry. You're correct, the F-F-F method is the best way and it works. My problem with it was primarily hand placement. You really have to set your left hand on the door sill (assuming a left hand drive vehicle) and your right hand on the steering wheel. Right foot goes in, you ease your arse in and then swing the other foot in. Exiting is pretty much the reverse.

BTW-I still have the car. I decided to keep it through the weekend. :D I took the wife for a ride down the coast today with the top off. We had lunch at the Beach House right on the beach and then drove back home. It was 70 degrees today and I actually got a bit of a tan. :thumbsup:

How is it on the highway? What RPM is the engine spinning at when you're doing 70-80MPH? How does it pull in top gear? (I realize it's not a torque monster, just curious:))

SVT Cobra

Lifer
Mar 29, 2005

:thumbsdown:

pray4mojo

Diamond Member
Mar 8, 2003
I must agree that this is a very nice car. I got the chance to ride in one at an autox and that thing nails every corner and turn easily. I'm definately gonna buy one of these things when I have the money.

JulesMaximus

No Lifer
Jul 3, 2003
Originally posted by: mariok2006
Pic

Foot. Fanny. Foot.

Okay, I found a video of someone demonstrating how to enter and exit this car or pretty much and car that is, a) this low to the ground and, b) has a wide door sill and a small point of entry. You're correct, the F-F-F method is the best way and it works. My problem with it was primarily hand placement. You really have to set your left hand on the door sill (assuming a left hand drive vehicle) and your right hand on the steering wheel. Right foot goes in, you ease your arse in and then swing the other foot in. Exiting is pretty much the reverse.

How is it on the highway? What RPM is the engine spinning at when you're doing 70-80MPH? How does it pull in top gear? (I realize it's not a torque monster, just curious:))

At 80mph in 6th gear it's turning about 3800 rpms. At that speed it pulls strongly in top gear but dropping it down into fourth would get you much better acceleration.

It is a monster off the line though with gobs of traction and it just thrusts forward from about 4-5k on up to redline pulling harder all the way. I hit the rev limiter once...and boy can you tell when that baby kicks in.

JulesMaximus

No Lifer
Jul 3, 2003
Originally posted by: SVT Cobra

Is that your evaluation of his post or your opinion of the Elise? :laugh:

JulesMaximus

No Lifer
Jul 3, 2003
Oh, and it doesn't have power steering. I found that out today during some of my research on the car. The only place you really need it is in a parking lot though.

JulesMaximus

No Lifer
Jul 3, 2003
Well, I kept the Lotus the entire weekend and returned it yesterday morning. I miss it but it's good to have the Maxima back...it's much more comfortable and practical. The Maxima feels like a bloody boat in comparison though.

I think we'll plan a vacation this summer, just the wife and I, and drive up the coast for a few days. :thumbsup:

SVT Cobra

Lifer
Mar 29, 2005

His post.

JulesMaximus

No Lifer
Jul 3, 2003

His post.

I thought so.

BTW-I saw a 2003 Cobra Convertible on the freeway yesterday but he was behind me and bottled up in traffic. I think the Cobra would pull on the Lotus on the freeway though.

SVT Cobra

Lifer
Mar 29, 2005

His post.

I thought so.

BTW-I saw a 2003 Cobra Convertible on the freeway yesterday but he was behind me and bottled up in traffic. I think the Cobra would pull on the Lotus on the freeway though.

Yeah straight line the supercharger would have its way with the Lotus, but it is no problem for the the lotus to beat it around the track with its great handling and weight.