Lottery winner dresses in Scream mask so he's not recognized

LikeLinus

Lifer
Jul 25, 2001

kinda pointless since most lotteries publish your full name and city, if not house address, if you're the big winner?
Not really, if you're smart enough to use an ounce of brain power. He/She doesn't have to ever show up to that property again, depending on how much they won. Do you want everyone to know what you look like and that you are worth a lot of money? Or would you rather keep it to the current, much much smaller group, of people who know what you look like? That's like painting a huge target on your back.

That person could have a fairly generic or common name. I highly doubt any lottery publishes someone's house address. Are you just making shit up or have any proof?

EDIT: Not to mention you're considering Instagram "news". There is nothing linked or referenced that he did that to evade relatives. It's just a meme at this point.

EDIT 2: Just as I suspected. This isn't true. Same story from 2019 in Jamaica.

Lottery winner wears ‘Scream’ mask to hide identity (nypost.com)

"the winner, only identified as A. Campbell " Common name and the identity was hidden in general, nothing to do with relatives.

JEDI

Lifer
Sep 25, 2001

Artorias

Platinum Member
Feb 8, 2014
I think its insane that you could win $100M+ and have the entire world know about it. You become an instant target for criminals, at that point who cares about the leaches since you can brush them off.

I would be quite paranoid if that ever happened to me, I'd probably on the spot hire armed guards for at least a year until I relocated from wherever I lived.

Reactions: jameny5

JEDI

Lifer
Sep 25, 2001
I think its insane that you could win $100M+ and have the entire world know about it. You become an instant target for criminals, at that point who cares about the leaches since you can brush them off.

I would be quite paranoid if that ever happened to me, I'd probably on the spot hire armed guards for at least a year until I relocated from wherever I lived.
i would have already relocated to another State before turning in the ticket

Reactions: Captante

Captante

Lifer
Oct 20, 2003
kinda pointless since most lotteries publish your full name and city, and maybe house address, if you're the big winner?

At least his face won't be quite as immediately recognizable maybe?

LikeLinus

Lifer
Jul 25, 2001
Maybe this is more of a legal question, but why don't more people set up those trust to accept the winnings and then you can remain anonymous? I know people have done in the past. You have a trustee appointed and a trust set up. They then claim and hold the winnings. It adds protection and keeps your name/face out of the mix.

Maybe they don't allow this any more or people don't realize you can do that?

K1052

Elite Member
Aug 21, 2003

If I could not clam anonymously or form a trust to claim it for me I'd vanish like a fart in the wind immediately after the transfers are confirmed by my bank. The last this town would see of me is private security driving me to the FBO.

Nov 8, 2012
If I could not clam anonymously or form a trust to claim it for me I'd vanish like a fart in the wind immediately after the transfers are confirmed by my bank. The last this town would see of me is private security driving me to the FBO.
Yup. I don't know if I would move with all my shit or just disappear and go to Europe for a year while behind the scenes changing my legal name, getting a new cell phone number, etc.... Until hopefully it blows over from no one finding me and there being new lottery winners to go after.

But I don't play the lotto anyhow unless once in a blue moon just for kicks during a high jackpot.

dasherHampton

Platinum Member
Jan 19, 2018
The first thing I'd do if I won a huge prize is find a very secure gated community and lease a house month to month while deciding how to proceed. Sure, it might cost you $10,000-$15,000 a month but if you won 100 mil that's nothing. I'd never set foot in my current residence again.

MtnMan

Diamond Member
Jul 27, 2004
My daughter knows a guy that won about 12 million in the lottery years ago. They did a lot of good for the community with the money. Their daughter was a star softball player at her high school. Did a lot for girl athletics for the school, which were definitely playing second fiddle to the "boys" programs.

Other than that, it ruined their peace of mind. Kidnapping threats against their kids, constant harassment by legitimate charities, and of course con men. They went from living a normal existence, to becoming sequestered recluses suspicious of everyone... including family, and for good reason.

highland145

Lifer
Oct 12, 2009
My daughter knows a guy that won about 12 million in the lottery years ago. They did a lot of good for the community with the money. Their daughter was a star softball player at her high school. Did a lot for girl athletics for the school, which were definitely playing second fiddle to the "boys" programs.

Other than that, it ruined their peace of mind. Kidnapping threats against their kids, constant harassment by legitimate charities, and of course con men. They went from living a normal existence, to becoming sequestered recluses suspicious of everyone... including family, and for good reason.
Yes, I have money for you. Come into my garage.

• Haha
Reactions: Ajay

highland145

Lifer
Oct 12, 2009
Maybe this is more of a legal question, but why don't more people set up those trust to accept the winnings and then you can remain anonymous? I know people have done in the past. You have a trustee appointed and a trust set up. They then claim and hold the winnings. It adds protection and keeps your name/face out of the mix.

Maybe they don't allow this any more or people don't realize you can do that?
Yeah, a lot of states don't allow it. Used to only be 5 but, like Felix said, that should get fixed. IIRC, there was one that sued the state of NY over this. I could be wrong....

LikeLinus

Lifer
Jul 25, 2001
Yeah, a lot of states don't allow it. Used to only be 5 but, like Felix said, that should get fixed. IIRC, there was one that sued the state of NY over this. I could be wrong....
They should change the rules. It's ridiculous you have to publicly out yourself that you just won a bunch of money. That is begging for trouble.

My wife actually won the Lottery when she was 20. It wasn't a massive amount, but enough that her family came out of the woodwork and begged for money and wanted her to buy them all shit. Would be nice if you could remain anonymous and keep it quiet.

MrSquished

Lifer
Jan 14, 2013
I already know the lawyer I'd use. I don't play the lotto anyways. But I'd talk to him then flee to Europe with my EU passport, have him set up a nice trust for my nieces, give my sister a bunch of money so they are set for life, then I'd just travel, let things cool down, then start investing and finding some good charities.

LikeLinus

Lifer
Jul 25, 2001
I already know the lawyer I'd use. I don't play the lotto anyways. But I'd talk to him then flee to Europe with my EU passport, have him set up a nice trust for my nieces, give my sister a bunch of money so they are set for life, then I'd just travel, let things cool down, then start investing and finding some good charities.
Why is it that everyone that doesn't actually play the lottery, has lottery dreams? :D. FYI - I don't play the lottery, lol.

Reactions: MtnMan