Lots of overclocking on the new haswell-e who is getting Protecion tuning plan?

Vesku

Diamond Member
Aug 25, 2005
Reasonably priced if you plan to push voltages much at all. Heck for the Extreme CPUs I'd consider it simply for the hassle reduction, i.e. virtually no questions asked one time exchange, let alone the out of specification coverage. I can't see Intel pulling any of the 'that's not covered' stuff retailers often do with their extra protection plans.

Toro 45

Diamond Member
Oct 12, 1999
Since there normal warranty is for 3 years is that also the length on warranty on this protection plan?

JimmiG

Platinum Member
Feb 24, 2005
Would it cover a de-lidded CPU? :p

It's certainly possible for an overclocked CPU to begin to degrade after about 3 years, so getting a replacement at that time might come in handy. By that time it's probably time to upgrade the CPU anyway, but you might want to keep the old CPU for a secondary system.

Grooveriding

Diamond Member
Dec 25, 2008
I bought one before my CPU had even been delivered. Silly not to get one for a $1000 CPU you're going to void the warranty on the first day. I used the one I had for my 3930K which just suddenly died on me about 2 years in. It was as simple as calling them and telling them I killed my chip overclocking and here was my code. They overnighted me one and took a credit card to insure themselves while they waited for me to return the dead chip, which they also covered shipping on.

This plan makes me curious on what a chip like the 5960X actually costs them ? I'm sure they weight the tuning plan on how many people will buy one versus actually make a claim, but, I assume this means the straight cost of manufacturing on a chip like a 5960X is probably really low compared to its retail price ? The 5960X plan is only $35 for 3 years of coverage, it's a no-brainer.

Last edited:

Idontcare

Elite Member
Oct 10, 1999
Would it cover a de-lidded CPU? :p

It's certainly possible for an overclocked CPU to begin to degrade after about 3 years, so getting a replacement at that time might come in handy. By that time it's probably time to upgrade the CPU anyway, but you might want to keep the old CPU for a secondary system.

Sadly, no. The tuning protection plan is great but it does not cover any cpu that has been physically altered. That includes lapping, delidding and "marring" that can happen with the liquid metal TIMs and IC diamond.

But Haswell-e is soldered, no need to delid. So it is only an issue if you are unlucky and happen to get an exceptionally warped IHS or if you unfortunately used a TIM that stains or alters the surface of the IHS.

BonzaiDuck

Lifer
Jun 30, 2004
Sadly, no. The tuning protection plan is great but it does not cover any cpu that has been physically altered. That includes lapping, delidding and "marring" that can happen with the liquid metal TIMs and IC diamond.

But Haswell-e is soldered, no need to delid. So it is only an issue if you are unlucky and happen to get an exceptionally warped IHS or if you unfortunately used a TIM that stains or alters the surface of the IHS.

I was going to say, the OP would need a small blow-torch and plenty of luck. A lot of risk and trouble to endure for a $1,000 processor !! D:

exar333

Diamond Member
Feb 7, 2004

Very good to know!!

Will plan to get this for my 5820k and will need to use a TIM that will not stain or alters the IHS...