Lots of Californians moving to Idaho. Will Idaho turn Dem in the near future?

JEDI

Lifer
Sep 25, 2001

Over the last five years, Californians made up 46% of the migration to the area, according to the Boise Valley Economic Partnership.

in 2020, Trump beat Biden 64% to 33% in Idaho.
With an influx of Dems moving in, I think it's going to turn Purple then blue. (Like virginia)

with global warming frying CA, i predict a faster rate of people moving to Idaho.
Purple by 2026 midterm elections? Blue by 2028 Pres elections?

Nov 8, 2012
I have heard Boise is a nice place - Oh well, Californians will be sure to turn it into complete shit in no time at all.

Anyhow, as far as the subject of "red states" and "blue states" - things will continue to change. Blue states will become red, just as much as red turns blue.

As much as dems want to try to cater to all these different groups - they consistently fuck things up lol. ACTUAL Latin people don't exactly take too kindly to the "LatinX" bullshit, and it's really quite insulting.

Reactions: Thunder 57

sportage

Lifer
Feb 1, 2008
I don't believe it. CA is a place one moves to, not moves away from. Even the CA homeless would rather stay in CA and live in tents than move back to the god awful midwest. Wouldn't you?

brycejones

Lifer
Oct 18, 2005

Over the last five years, Californians made up 46% of the migration to the area, according to the Boise Valley Economic Partnership.

in 2020, Trump beat Biden 64% to 33% in Idaho.
With an influx of Dems moving in, I think it's going to turn Purple then blue. (Like virginia)

with global warming frying CA, i predict a faster rate of people moving to Idaho.
Purple by 2026 midterm elections? Blue by 2028 Pres elections?
Did you do any investigation about where in CA these people are moving to Idaho from? Who from CA is moving to Idaho? California has millions of conservatives living there as well who could potentially see the political climate in Idaho as being favorable to their beliefs.

Stokely

Golden Member
Jun 5, 2017
Yep, California has more GOP supporters in it than any other state iirc. Problem for them is that it also has more Democrats than any other state.

I'd hazard a guess that many of those moving are wanting to get to a red state.

Personally, I'd just as soon the red states secede again and form their Christian white paradise, bon voyage and good fortune. I'd have to move out of America's dick but I'm planning that anyway.

K1052

Elite Member
Aug 21, 2003
Idaho is too deep red to turn blue any tme soon. Send them to Texas instead.

Idaho is an easier flip just based on sheer numbers. Well fewer than a million votes were cast for president in 2020.

K1052

Elite Member
Aug 21, 2003
  • Wow
Reactions: DAPUNISHER

Stokely

Golden Member
Jun 5, 2017
The real problem with Idaho and other small states is that the system invented to give them an equal voice (the Senate) now gives them TOO much power. That's a whole nother discussion, the broken electoral system and 2 senators per state...

Pipeline 1010

Golden Member
Dec 2, 2005
Not all of CA is DEM. Maybe rural red voters are moving to a red state to flee what they feel is a bad blue state?

This is the feeling I get. Most of the people I know who have already moved there or plan to move there (from California) are solidly right leaning. I know kind of a lot of these people and most of them have expressed wanting to leave the state due (at least in part) to the leftist government/politics/policies. Some specific policies they mention are high taxes, condoning/encouraging/actively attracting homeless people, and reduced or eliminated prison sentences for certain types of criminals (non violent offenders such as thieves, etc...).

Now that all that Californian money is moving to Idaho it's really jacking up the prices of housing. Californians have done this in the past to places like Oregon, Texas, Colorado, and Washington. I'm sure I missed a state or 2, and I wonder which states we'll jack up prices in many more states in the next few decades. We really need to start building more housing.

K1052

Elite Member
Aug 21, 2003
This is the feeling I get. Most of the people I know who have already moved there or plan to move there (from California) are solidly right leaning. I know kind of a lot of these people and most of them have expressed wanting to leave the state due (at least in part) to the leftist government/politics/policies. Some specific policies they mention are high taxes, condoning/encouraging/actively attracting homeless people, and reduced or eliminated prison sentences for certain types of criminals (non violent offenders such as thieves, etc...).

Ultimately problem with anecdotes is that they're not data. Everyone I know who've moved to Texas is solidly liberal because that's the people I generally we generally associate with. Does that mean conservatives aren't moving into Texas from elsewhere? Probably not. We tend to fill in things with our own biases.

Now that all that Californian money is moving to Idaho it's really jacking up the prices of housing. Californians have done this in the past to places like Oregon, Texas, Colorado, and Washington. I'm sure I missed a state or 2, and I wonder which states we'll jack up prices in many more states in the next few decades. We really need to start building more housing.

This is true nationally. We've got giant housing shortages in places people want to live be that NYC or Boise.

Reactions: s0me0nesmind1

uclaLabrat

Diamond Member
Aug 2, 2007
I know of many people moving to Idaho, but they tend to be the conservative ones. Not sure if the migration will swing Idaho any bluer in the near future.

Pipeline 1010

Golden Member
Dec 2, 2005
Ultimately problem with anecdotes is that they're not data. Everyone I know who've moved to Texas is solidly liberal because that's the people I generally we generally associate with. Does that mean conservatives aren't moving into Texas from elsewhere? Probably not. We tend to fill in things with our own biases.

Yeah I know all this. I was assuming it was understood that my examples are anecdotal and not some overarching representation of all people who move to Idaho. Next time I will emphasize that to prevent confusion.

There are all kinds of reasons why the people I know might represent a higher concentration of conservatism (and more reasons not). I was more offering support for a possibility that a conservative destination might be attractive to conservatives and an influx of immigration to that state, even from a left leaning origin, might not necessarily result in a net increase in people with left leaning views or voting preferences. Your example of Texas is the perfect counter example to my thinking.

I don't have data that supports either way, just a gut feeling based on personal anecdotes and internet forum talk. You know...scientifical things.

woolfe9998

Lifer
Apr 8, 2013
Idaho is an easier flip just based on sheer numbers. Well fewer than a million votes were cast for president in 2020.

And went for Trump by 33 last year versus 6 .

You may be right about sheer numbers but there are other factors affecting Texas demographics besides migration from CA. TX is within striking distance for 2024. I’d be surprised if Idaho turns before 2040.

Nov 29, 2006

I grew up in the San Francisco Bay area, but don't live in CA anymore. Nothing against CA,, just the way life turned out. I'm a liberal in a red state now :(

But this past year 2 sisters I went to school with both moved from CA to TN and SD. They appear to be right leaning for sure based on FB.

Indus

Diamond Member
May 11, 2002
I don't believe it. CA is a place one moves to, not moves away from. Even the CA homeless would rather stay in CA and live in tents than move back to the god awful midwest. Wouldn't you?

Except if you've worked hard, made a house and watch it burn.

Why the hell do so many people move? It isn't just economics.. its climate refugees too.

Just watch over the next 10 years how many refugees there are from India as the rivers dry up and are unable to sustain the population.

Nov 8, 2012
And went for Trump by 33 last year versus 6 .

You may be right about sheer numbers but there are other factors affecting Texas demographics besides migration from CA. TX is within striking distance for 2024. I’d be surprised if Idaho turns before 2040.

lol TX isn't in striking distance until at least 2030+

dainthomas

Lifer
Dec 7, 2004
I have heard Boise is a nice place - Oh well, Californians will be sure to turn it into complete shit in no time at all.

Anyhow, as far as the subject of "red states" and "blue states" - things will continue to change. Blue states will become red, just as much as red turns blue.

As much as dems want to try to cater to all these different groups - they consistently fuck things up lol. ACTUAL Latin people don't exactly take too kindly to the "LatinX" bullshit, and it's really quite insulting.

Look up which states have the highest poverty, worst healthcare, and worst education.

You're embarrassing yourself again.

Nov 8, 2012
Look up which states have the highest poverty, worst healthcare, and worst education.

You're embarrassing yourself again.

"Poverty" is typically a non-scalable measurement of income.

Making $100k in CA is pretty much the equivalent of making $50k in Texas for example. Thus doing measurements on income (most common method) is absolutely moronic.

A much more realistic measure - is how many homeless people you have.... which California takes the cake on ;)

Pipeline 1010

Golden Member
Dec 2, 2005
"Poverty" is typically a non-scalable measurement of income.

Making $100k in CA is pretty much the equivalent of making $50k in Texas for example. Thus doing measurements on income (most common method) is absolutely moronic.

I'd prefer measurements based on what kind of housing the median income can afford. I think CA would struggle in that regard because even though people make more money in CA, housing is far more expensive than in most other areas. Sometimes it is better to accept a lower paying job if the percent of your income you spend on housing is lower. It's why a lot of engineers won't live or work in SF or San Jose despite the incomes being very high there.

A much more realistic measure - is how many homeless people you have.... which California takes the cake on ;)

If the majority of the homeless population of California was born in California, then that would make sense as a method of comparison. Yet that isn't the case or even close to it. Homeless flock to CA because it has a great climate. Most places in CA don't get any snow at all and are fairly easy to survive outdoors even in the winter.

MovingTarget

Diamond Member
Jun 22, 2003
Eh, I remain skeptical about that one. I'm sure more than a few liberals from CA can make Idaho a bit more purple, but in the end the conservatives from CA would just be adding to their already large majority in Boise.

Roger Wilco

Diamond Member
Mar 20, 2017
I'd love to move somewhere open and beautiful and help dismantle deep red strangleholds.

I'm a steadfast yet very liberal Christian...maybe that'll give me some street (pasture/forrest) cred?

Reactions: MovingTarget