LOTRO still worth getting into?

Page 5 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

zinfamous

No Lifer
Jul 12, 2006
they don't enforce the naming policy for names to be lotro-y. it's really just offensive stuff and and copyrighted/trademarked stuff. there is a guy on landroval who named his hobbit Shrimp Dip. RPer too. there's another named Boomshakalaka. i've seen a lot of stuff.

what i haven't seen in lotro, and did see in warhammer, was "Moist Cooter" :rolleyes:

i think your character is soon to be renamed.

oh, it's inevitable.

I didn't mean to imply that they enforce their suggestions on naming, just that they make the suggestion at all. it seems very obnoxious to me. :\

zinfamous

No Lifer
Jul 12, 2006
are the servers still off or is it some other issues? game is stuck on load, and all forums and main page seem to be down.

Malladine

Diamond Member
Mar 31, 2003
LOTRO is a good game, i had fun when i resubbed for a couple of months, but be sure to start on the server with the largest population, i think Brandy something has a high pop.

My server Arkenstone didn't have enough players, I could hardly find any groups for the tougher fellowship quests never mind dungeon runs so it really felt like I was missing some good stuff. That got old after a while.

Crafting is a blast in LOTRO, imo. Very useable items until lvl 46 or so, past that with armorer and others.

I also really enjoyed the lore in the quests and the slower paced leveling/gameplay made a nice change from other MMOs.

zinfamous

No Lifer
Jul 12, 2006
hey guys. noob question:

I'm still in prologue, but wondering if it's worthwhile to hold onto any of the loot trophies--the non-craftable animal junk. It says it can be turned in for quests, so I'm wondering if there are enough quests to justify holding on to certain stacks of loot, or if I should just sell it all as I get it.

datalink7

Lifer
Jan 23, 2001
hey guys. noob question:

I'm still in prologue, but wondering if it's worthwhile to hold onto any of the loot trophies--the non-craftable animal junk. It says it can be turned in for quests, so I'm wondering if there are enough quests to justify holding on to certain stacks of loot, or if I should just sell it all as I get it.

From what I remember, not really. You might run into a quest that says "collect 15 black furs" or something. Then you can hold onto them and turn them in. But don't bother collecting them if you don't have the quest. By the time you find the quest you might be too high level to gain much xp from it. Just sell them.

terry107

Dec 8, 2005
hey guys. noob question:

You can turn some of that junk in for rep increases, but I don't think it's worth it. I would rather vendor the stuff and hit up the auction house.

Feneant2

Golden Member
May 26, 2004
hey guys. noob question:

I assume you mean the trophies as in purple background? Those items are good for tasks of which you can do 5 a day. It's definitely worth it, free experience! And when you do 100 you get a title- if it's not broken there are 5 levels to gain so 500 tasks, if it's broken, the 100 gives you 5 rewards.

If you're looking for a new server, I don't recommend Dwarrowdelf, it feels dead to me, hardly ever see anyone.

Nizology

Oct 13, 2004
I assume you mean the trophies as in purple background? Those items are good for tasks of which you can do 5 a day. It's definitely worth it, free experience! And when you do 100 you get a title- if it's not broken there are 5 levels to gain so 500 tasks, if it's broken, the 100 gives you 5 rewards.

If you're looking for a new server, I don't recommend Dwarrowdelf, it feels dead to me, hardly ever see anyone.
It's certainly not dead. Not really sure where you've been but there are plenty of people around, especially in Bree and Forochel.

Craig234

Lifer
May 1, 2006
Since I have retail LOTRO (and a bonus disk if it's still usable) and Mines of Moria, what's the best way to install - download f2p first? install from the retail first?

manko

Golden Member
May 27, 2001
Since I have retail LOTRO (and a bonus disk if it's still usable) and Mines of Moria, what's the best way to install - download f2p first? install from the retail first?

Just download the f2p client. The disks are outdated and there will be huge updates anyway. All you need is your old account login. If you don't have an account, then you need the Moria activation code which you can use on a new account.

If you never activated the game before, you can try adding the original game code to your account first, then adding the Moria code. You might get some extra VIP time. (New Moria boxes should get 30 days VIP time.) An unactivated original game code (Shadows of Angmar), may give you an extra 30 days if activated before Moria, but I'm not sure.

Last edited:

Craig234

Lifer
May 1, 2006
Just download the f2p client. The disks are outdated and there will be huge updates anyway. All you need is your old account login. If you don't have an account, then you need the Moria activation code which you can use on a new account.

If you never activated the game before, you can try adding the original game code to your account first, then adding the Moria code. You might get some extra VIP time. (New Moria boxes should get 30 days VIP time.) An unactivated original game code (Shadows of Angmar), may give you an extra 30 days if activated before Moria, but I'm not sure.

Thanks, I did have an account back in beta I think, but don't know if it'd still exist and don't remember the info. I have both LOTRO collector's and Moria new unopened.

manko

Golden Member
May 27, 2001
Thanks, I did have an account back in beta I think, but don't know if it'd still exist and don't remember the info. I have both LOTRO collector's and Moria new unopened.

Well, if both the boxes are unopened, you might consider starting a new f2p account and leveling 2 f2p characters to at least level 20 first, before activating the codes on your account. Then, activate the original LOTRO Shadows of Angmar. After that, activate the Moria code on your account. That should give you at least 30 (possibly 60) days of free VIP play time. (The downside of waiting until you level to 20 is that you won't be able to trade silver or list auctions before you activate your game codes.)

The reason to wait until you're 20+ to activate the codes is because the under 20 content is free anyway and you will maximize your VIP playing time with access to the premium quest zones for level 20 and up. Also, once you hit 20 and activate your codes for VIP, you will get a free quest to earn riding skill (rather than having to spend store points).

During your VIP time, be sure to create as many characters and classes as you might ever want to play in the future (up to 7 total per server). All characters created or played during your VIP time will qualify nice perks and unlocks (more bags, gold cap, swift travel, trait slots, etc.).

When your VIP time runs out, you will lose access to most level 20-50 quest zones (except for the 20-30 Lonelands zone). After that, you'll have to buy quest zone access with Turbine Points or pay for continued VIP access (the equivalent of a subscription). So you'll probably want to save Turbine Points for quest packs rather than spending them on other items. The catch is, you can't buy quest packs during your VIP time, so you'll have to save points and wait until your VIP time expires before buying any quest packs.

Last edited:

Craig234

Lifer
May 1, 2006
Well, if both the boxes are unopened, you might consider starting a new f2p account and leveling 2 f2p characters to at least level 20 first, before activating the codes on your account. Then, activate the original LOTRO Shadows of Angmar. After that, activate the Moria code on your account. That should give you at least 30 (possibly 60) days of free VIP play time. (The downside of waiting until you level to 20 is that you won't be able to trade silver or list auctions before you activate your game codes.)

The reason to wait until you're 20+ to activate the codes is because the under 20 content is free anyway and you will maximize your VIP playing time with access to the premium quest zones for level 20 and up. Also, once you hit 20 and activate your codes for VIP, you will get a free quest to earn riding skill (rather than having to spend store points).

During your VIP time, be sure to create as many characters and classes as you might ever want to play in the future (up to 7 total per server). All characters created or played during your VIP time will qualify nice perks and unlocks (more bags, gold cap, swift travel, trait slots, etc.).

When your VIP time runs out, you will lose access to most level 20-50 quest zones (except for the 20-30 Lonelands zone). After that, you'll have to buy quest zone access with Turbine Points or pay for continued VIP access (the equivalent of a subscription). So you'll probably want to save Turbine Points for quest packs rather than spending them on other items. The catch is, you can't buy quest packs during your VIP time, so you'll have to save points and wait until your VIP time expires before buying any quest packs.

Thanks for the info. So, the original game and expansion don't get anything permanent in the game, just 30 days premium time? That's a bit disappointing.

Itchrelief

Golden Member
Dec 20, 2005
Thanks for the info. So, the original game and expansion don't get anything permanent in the game, just 30 days premium time? That's a bit disappointing.

I'm new, so my info could be off.

I don't think the original game gives you anything besides 30 days premium time.

The xpack code gives you something like access to the 2 classes that were introduced with the pack, one (?) additional character slot, and access to whatever the expansion zone is (Moria?). Maybe something else.

manko

Golden Member
May 27, 2001
The original game doesn't give you any permanent access to quest zones. You have to re-buy all the quest zone content from the original game (or keep paying for VIP subscription). On the other hand, the Moria box DOES give you permanent access to the Moria questing areas (level 50-60), plus 2 extra character slots and access to roll the 2 new Moria classes, Warden and Runekeeper.

So, if you play up to level 20 as f2p, then activate your codes, try to level up to around 50 during your free VIP time. Then you can take your time going through Moria. By the time you're through level 60, you should have saved up enough points (through normal gameplay) to buy at least two or three quest packs (or the Mirkwood 60-65 expansion).

If you activate Moria on your account, when your VIP time runs out you'll be left with 5 character slots (2 free + 1 for having been VIP + 2 for Moria). So, if you create 7 characters 2 will be locked, but they still qualify for the ex-VIP perks if you ever unlock them in the future.

If you like the game, you might consider picking up a Rise of Isengard Pre-Order Legendary Edition, which includes permanent access to 4 more quest zone packs: Trollshaws, Eregion, Lothlórien and Mirkwood. I think the offer is only good as a pre-order before the expansion launches at the end of September.

Last edited:

Craig234

Lifer
May 1, 2006
The original game doesn't give you any permanent access to quest zones. You have to re-buy all the quest zone content from the original game (or keep paying for VIP subscription). On the other hand, the Moria box DOES give you permanent access to the Moria questing areas (level 50-60), plus 2 extra character slots and access to roll the 2 new Moria classes, Warden and Runekeeper.

So, if you play up to level 20 as f2p, then activate your codes, try to level up to around 50 during your free VIP time. Then you can take your time going through Moria. By the time you're through level 60, you should have saved up enough points (through normal gameplay) to buy at least two or three quest packs (or the Mirkwood 60-65 expansion).

If you activate Moria on your account, when your VIP time runs out you'll be left with 5 character slots (2 free + 1 for having been VIP + 2 for Moria). So, if you create 7 characters 2 will be locked, but they still qualify for the ex-VIP perks if you ever unlock them in the future.

If you like the game, you might consider picking up a Rise of Isengard Pre-Order Legendary Edition, which includes permanent access to 4 more quest zone packs: Trollshaws, Eregion, Lothlórien and Mirkwood. I think the offer is only good as a pre-order before the expansion launches at the end of September.

Thanks a lot.

Now it's server picking time and I notice little consensus here.

The game suggests Darrowdelf, which an article suggests means it's low population, but another lists it as one of the three higher population.

A thread here says 'don't pick it for low pop', a reply says it has good population.

I lean against pvp but not sure, lean in favor of RP but not sure.

manko

Golden Member
May 27, 2001
Thanks a lot.

Now it's server picking time and I notice little consensus here.

I lean against pvp but not sure, lean in favor of RP but not sure.

There are no PvP servers (at least in WoW terms), they are all PvE for open world questing. PvP is known as Monster Play PvMP and you have to go to a separate zone for that (also f2p cannot access that zone...maybe in the expansion).
I hear Brandywine, Landroval and Elendilmir are some of the bigger pre-f2p servers (so players have been on them for years). Riddermark is one of the 4 new f2p servers with decent population. Landroval is also a RP-Encouraged server (though not required). In my experience the older pre-f2p servers have more mature communities (on the other hand, they have long established kins and players who have multiple maxed out and geared characters, if that bothers you). The f2p launch has mostly new players (some migrated from old servers) and people just trying out f2p.

If you have an interest in RP, Landroval might be a good choice.

You can also read the server forums on lotro.com to get a feel for them.

IndyColtsFan

Lifer
Sep 22, 2007
Ah, so Elendimir is one of the bigger servers? I'm on that right now and don't know anyone on the server.

ElFenix

Elite Member
Super Moderator
Mar 20, 2000
i'm not certain how people determine which server is the biggest. afaik turbine provides no way of determining the server population. landroval's subsection on the forums has 50% more posts than brandywine's, which itself has 50% more posts than elendilmir's. could be that the landroval population just posts to the board more. i suppose the large RP population on landroval may do that in order to set up RP scenarios.

KeithTalent

Elite Member | Administrator | No Lifer
Administrator
Nov 30, 2005
So is anyone playing the beta for Isengard? I downloaded the client last, but I'm trying to figure out if it makes sense to speed level a character on there and try the beta, or if I should just go along and make progress with my regular characters. Anyone done any of the Bullroarer tests?

KT