LOTRO still worth getting into?

Page 4 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

JoshGuru7

Golden Member
Aug 18, 2001
I'm also looking forward to trying out the Warden. Seems to remind me of my AOC days with melee combos, 'cept a bit more complex. I'll probably ease her into a simpler or more forgiving class seeing as how she has no MMO experience (or much beyond Civ5 and Majhong).
The lore-master (AOE DPS/Support) is an excellent partner for a warden (AOE Threat). It is fairly simple to manage in a duo, so I would recommend it for her if you will always be playing together. It is very difficult to solo with for a novice because it is a melee class that wears cloth, and as such survivability depends on a bunch of complicated stuff (debuffs, flanked! heals, good gear). If you are keeping aggro on the other hand, then she will be free to simply use her AOE stuff, which includes damage and debuffs.

The LM also has a small heal which is all you will need as a warden, and a power share which is extremely useful for any power constrained class - such as the warden. You probably won't need any crowd control but she will have it if she wants it in the form of a mez, many stuns, and an AOE root. The pet is also a bit of added fun since you get many different ones as you level up and as long as it is on assist it will be helping out without needing to be managed.

kamikazekyle

Feb 23, 2007
The lore-master (AOE DPS/Support) is an excellent partner for a warden (AOE Threat). It is fairly simple to manage in a duo, so I would recommend it for her if you will always be playing together. It is very difficult to solo with for a novice because it is a melee class that wears cloth, and as such survivability depends on a bunch of complicated stuff (debuffs, flanked! heals, good gear). If you are keeping aggro on the other hand, then she will be free to simply use her AOE stuff, which includes damage and debuffs.

The LM also has a small heal which is all you will need as a warden, and a power share which is extremely useful for any power constrained class - such as the warden. You probably won't need any crowd control but she will have it if she wants it in the form of a mez, many stuns, and an AOE root. The pet is also a bit of added fun since you get many different ones as you level up and as long as it is on assist it will be helping out without needing to be managed.

Thanks for the info. I'm not sure if we're always going to be duo-ing or not, seeing as how I work 3rd shift. But we do have a few hours overlap in the evenings to do stuff. She made a Ranger yesterday, but only got to level two after doing the starter instance three or four times due to system instability. Now that I think I've got that band-aided for the time being, hopefully she can pick up on the basics (basic basics, like using WSAD for movement). Once she has the whole computer control scheme down -- along with game mechanics -- I might see about getting her into a more advanced class like the LM. Assuming she wants to, of course :)

lupi

Lifer
Apr 8, 2001
Just so you know, their is an achievement title you get in several levels for nott dieing before level 20. First increment is at level 5.

KeithTalent

Elite Member | Administrator | No Lifer
Administrator
Nov 30, 2005
forochel is north out of evendim. from west bree take the horse to ost forod, then leave ost forod heading north on the road.

the game allows LUA scripting. not sure if there's something to address your questing issues or not. tracker seems fine to me, if a little short on the number of entries it supports.

I cruised up to Forochel last night and you are right, it does seem much more active.

Your second statement got me to wondering about the LUA scripting thing; I Googled a bit, but I'm not sure I fully understand how it works (the Wiki does not show LOTRO as a LUA-scripted game).

Anyway, does this mean I can set something up to, for example, summon my herald, then place all of the buffs on him (and me) with only a click or a key sequence? It gets kind of annoying to have to click all of those different things all the time, so it would be a nice thing to have.

Anyone have experience with that stuff and have a link/guide that shows how to do it?

KT

Nizology

Oct 13, 2004
I cruised up to Forochel last night and you are right, it does seem much more active.

Your second statement got me to wondering about the LUA scripting thing; I Googled a bit, but I'm not sure I fully understand how it works (the Wiki does not show LOTRO as a LUA-scripted game).

Anyway, does this mean I can set something up to, for example, summon my herald, then place all of the buffs on him (and me) with only a click or a key sequence? It gets kind of annoying to have to click all of those different things all the time, so it would be a nice thing to have.

Anyone have experience with that stuff and have a link/guide that shows how to do it?

KT
Don't know if you already found this but should have what you're looking for...

http://www.lotrointerface.com/LOTRO Interface

terry107

Dec 8, 2005

KT

If you go to LoTRO Interface (can't link it at work) they have mods (they call them plugins) and a FAQ on how to install/get them setup. I installed one for the Warden (they have the plugins broken down by category, one being class specific) to keep track of the gambits and it was a pretty simple process.

KeithTalent

Administrator
Nov 30, 2005
Awesome, thanks guys. I can't look at the link here, so I will have to wait until tomorrow. Sounds like it works for what I want though.

KT

KeithTalent

Administrator
Nov 30, 2005
Thanks guys. Wow, lots of different plugins there. Anyone have recommendations? Anything you find invaluable?

KT

Rebel_L

Nov 9, 2009
Well if you play a hunter I would really recommend a travel mod to so you can have your travel skills easily accessible without having them hog bar space

zinfamous

No Lifer
Jul 12, 2006
well, thanks to you guys and this dang thread, I have opened an account--to try out a Warden...but you have to pay for that class. :(

Anyway, I'll try it out for a spell to see if I really want to dump some cash into it.

If you see an Elven Hunter lass running around named Rottencrotch, please do be nice. :)

zinfamous

No Lifer
Jul 12, 2006
Ugh. Nice name. I do hope that they rename your character.

Why?

You expect me to run around with some jerk name like "Rosalie of Glimmershines?"

fuck that.

do they ban, lock accounts for names?

:hmm:

gothamhunter

Diamond Member
Apr 20, 2010
Why?

You expect me to run around with some jerk name like "Rosalie of Glimmershines?"

fuck that.

do they ban, lock accounts for names?

:hmm:

Yeah actually; we expect you to run around with a name that makes sense in the lore of the game. It's supposed to be a more mature game. Running around with a name like OMGPWNYOUNOOBZ or HAHAHABOOBZ is something a 12 year old puberty driven f2p person would do.

If I see you running around with that name, I'm just going to ignore you.

For reference:
Character naming policy

Character names in The Lord of the Rings Online™: Shadows of Angmar™, (LOTRO) should reflect the traditional and heroic spirit of the Lord of the Rings world. When selecting a character name, please be aware of the type of character you are creating, be it a Man, Elf, Dwarf or Hobbit. Each race has its own naming conventions and it is encouraged that you select a name befitting the race and spirit of your character. The following naming policy includes character names that are NOT appropriate for The Lord of the Rings Online and is also applied to guild and organisation names.
Proper names and places or close facsimiles thereof, from the fiction of Lord of the Rings, The Hobbit or Tolkien's works, including story characters or non-player characters (NPCs) introduced in fiction of The Lord of the Rings Online.
Fantasy or non-fantasy names from popular culture or media.
Sexually explicit, defamatory, obscene, racially or ethnically offensive names or slang.
Names of historical or religious significance.
Trademarked names of products, goods, materials or services.
Common names, slang or references to drug related substances, culture or paraphernalia.
Names containing ranks, titles or denotation of power.
Names causing harm, mockery or imitation of The Lord of the Rings Online players, NPCs in addition to Codemasters Online Gaming, Turbine Entertainment Software or Alchemic Dream employees, past or present.
Misspelled variations or homonyms of any of the above rules.

chalmers

Platinum Member
Mar 14, 2008
Yeah actually; we expect you to run around with a name that makes sense in the lore of the game. It's supposed to be a more mature game. Running around with a name like OMGPWNYOUNOOBZ or HAHAHABOOBZ is something a 12 year old puberty driven f2p person would do.

If I see you running around with that name, I'm just going to ignore you.

For reference:

Agreed.

What a stupid name, grow up.

zinfamous

No Lifer
Jul 12, 2006
OooOO, tough guys. lol. Something about "mature" and "Lord of the Rings" makes me laugh a bit.

It's after Mary Jane Rottencrotch, as mentioned in Full Metal Jacket. try not to take your gaming so seriously, dudes.

I use it often, but this game wouldn't let me use the MJ. :(

lighten up. it's just a name. I assure you I'm nothing like the typical OMGPWNERSAURACE people.

KeithTalent

Administrator
Nov 30, 2005
OooOO, tough guys. lol. Something about "mature" and "Lord of the Rings" makes me laugh a bit.

It's after Mary Jane Rottencrotch, as mentioned in Full Metal Jacket. try not to take your gaming so seriously, dudes.

I use it often, but this game wouldn't let me use the MJ. :(

lighten up. it's just a name. I assure you I'm nothing like the typical OMGPWNERSAURACE people.

Meh, who gives a crap, it's just a name and I got the reference. ;) My main guy is named after a despicable character in a Martin Amis novel. /shrug

What server you on? I'll look you up if you're on Gladden or Silverlode.

KT

Last edited:

mattpegher

Platinum Member
Jun 18, 2006
It is odd what they will rename a character for. I had a character in AoC, named after Hawkeye's uncle from Last of the Mohicans, Chinghachgook. I kept the original spelling but they didn't like the fact that the last four letter were a derrogatory name. It had never occurred to me, as I have never used the word,(have only heard it in old vietnam war era movies). I always admired the character so I guess if I want to use the name I have to change the spelling.

zinfamous

No Lifer
Jul 12, 2006
Meh, who gives a crap, it's just a name and I got the reference. ;) My main guy is named after a despicable character in a Martin Amis novel. /shrug

What server you on? I'll look you up if you're on Gladden or Silverlode.

KT

Oh I think I'm in the silverlode one. sounded like it had more monies. :D

but after reading the "rules" for character naming--they expect you to name something very LoTR lore-ish, like it's expected of you; and you can't use any real characters? wtf. Even that is difficult since you can't do two names. LoTR names (humans, anyway), are generally Brakfork son of Brackendork or something. I know you start getting tittles like that, but whatever.

Sorry, though folks, if my character(s) name(s) somehow ruin your adventuring. :(

The funny thing is, you get a different experience when you name a character in such a way. You can't imagine the pervs that start IMing you, lol.

zinfamous

No Lifer
Jul 12, 2006
It is odd what they will rename a character for. I had a character in AoC, named after Hawkeye's uncle from Last of the Mohicans, Chinghachbeloved patriot. I kept the original spelling but they didn't like the fact that the last four letter were a derrogatory name. It had never occurred to me, as I have never used the word,(have only heard it in old vietnam war era movies). I always admired the character so I guess if I want to use the name I have to change the spelling.

lol. that's insane. I get that they probably don't have the resources to PM everyone with every name that is questioned, but what a dumbass assumption.

Likely one diddlysquirt out there was offended, reported you, and an admin hit the ban button on you with zero investigation.

I've had to have nearly all of my characters in Guild Wars renamed. One of them was a Rit that I created simply to be a mule. I named him "Pimp my Mule."

sure enough, reported at some point, logged back in some time later, and I was banned, forced to rename. I was annowed by that one, so I changed it to "Vafan Coolio." ...tried to name him "Va fan culo" --Italian for "Go fuck yourself!" but, you know, it was already taken! :D

KeithTalent

Administrator
Nov 30, 2005
Oh I think I'm in the silverlode one. sounded like it had more monies. :D

but after reading the "rules" for character naming--they expect you to name something very LoTR lore-ish, like it's expected of you; and you can't use any real characters? wtf. Even that is difficult since you can't do two names. LoTR names (humans, anyway), are generally Brakfork son of Brackendork or something. I know you start getting tittles like that, but whatever.

Sorry, though folks, if my character(s) name(s) somehow ruin your adventuring. :(

The funny thing is, you get a different experience when you name a character in such a way. You can't imagine the pervs that start IMing you, lol.

Well I've been in the game since one of the betas and never read the name thing. I have heard people bitch about it before, but I name my guys what I want, relating to things I like, and I've never run into any issues.

To each their own.

KT

ElFenix

Elite Member
Super Moderator
Mar 20, 2000
lol. that's insane. I get that they probably don't have the resources to PM everyone with every name that is questioned, but what a dumbass assumption.

Likely one diddlysquirt out there was offended, reported you, and an admin hit the ban button on you with zero investigation.

I've had to have nearly all of my characters in Guild Wars renamed. One of them was a Rit that I created simply to be a mule. I named him "Pimp my Mule."

sure enough, reported at some point, logged back in some time later, and I was banned, forced to rename. I was annowed by that one, so I changed it to "Vafan Coolio." ...tried to name him "Va fan culo" --Italian for "Go fuck yourself!" but, you know, it was already taken! :D

they don't enforce the naming policy for names to be lotro-y. it's really just offensive stuff and and copyrighted/trademarked stuff. there is a guy on landroval who named his hobbit Shrimp Dip. RPer too. there's another named Boomshakalaka. i've seen a lot of stuff.

what i haven't seen in lotro, and did see in warhammer, was "Moist Cooter" :rolleyes:

i think your character is soon to be renamed.