LOTRO still worth getting into?

Page 3 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

KeithTalent

Elite Member | Administrator | No Lifer
Administrator
Nov 30, 2005
You get 500 points for free every month - enjoy!. Save some up to buy the Rise of Isengard expansion though.

Ahh, ok, that explains it. Pretty cool; I bought some dye for my pants. :D

KT

AV1611

Feb 20, 2002
I have a 60 Champion that I leveled up during my first stint of LOTRO play. Quite honestly, I found that class boring and regretted leveling one. My second stint I leveled a Warden to 60. Much more fun. Because the Warden uses combinations of shield bash, spear, and shout, it's a much more visibly dynamic character. Lots of action and flash. I LOVE my little hobbit lass Warden. She's a real pipe hitter and can last forever in a fight.

AV1611 out....

ElFenix

Elite Member
Super Moderator
Mar 20, 2000
hmm, what class would you suggest then? I generally prefer something that can self-heal.

warden and runekeeper both self heal but they're not free. they can also be complicated to play. same with lore master.

minstrel can be fairly quick. but groups will expect you to heal them. some people don't like that responsibility.

champ and hunter are the best classes for beginners, imho. champ's self heal is a lot better at the beginning and middle than at end game. hunter's don't self heal at all. but heal potions, in combat food, and out of combat food are easy to come by. either class can chain pull on-level targets.

that said i spent most of yesterday on my captain.

I played for several hours on the weekend and I did notice it was pretty quiet in most of the areas I was playing in, though Bree still seemed relatively busy. I'm on Gladden and Silverlode, but mainly Gladden. I cruised around Angmar and The Misty Mountains for quite a while yesterday and was able to solo quite a bit of stuff with my Captain, which was great. My biggest complaints before were that I could not find enough stuff that I could solo and I never felt I was progressing on my own, but things are better now.

I checked out the store for the first time too and I like it; helps that I have almost 10,000 points (no idea how I got them) to spend, so I could buy a bunch of fun stuff with no real cost.

Good times.

KT
MM is always pretty dead.

head to forochel.

also, join the glff channel on the server. command is /joinchannel glff. that's where most of the chatter goes on

Last edited:

MagnusTheBrewer

IN MEMORIAM
Jun 19, 2004
Update: Download took about 1 1/2 hours. Install took 2 hours. Played a couple hours to level 8 as a Dwarf Champion. The game seems alright, quest tracking SUCKS. Crafting is cumbersome. You have to have the right tool equipped and be near the right crafting area in addition to having the right supplies. The introduction to crafting quests are really poor and unintuitive. The game REALLY tries to get you to buy points, gear, supplies and leveling enhancements at the online store. I'll probably stick with it for a while longer but, they haven't impressed me with anything yet.

KeithTalent

Administrator
Nov 30, 2005
MM is always pretty dead.

head to forochel.

also, join the glff channel on the server. command is /joinchannel glff. that's where most of the chatter goes on

Yeah I noticed MM was pretty barren. I was over there to complete some of the big instanced quests that I had sitting there (I ran through an instance with Gimli, which was pretty cool).

I'll have to figure out where Forochel is. :hmm:

I still find some of the quest tracking and mapping to be a bit sloppy; I wish they allowed add-ons like Wow; there was a quest tracker and an interactive mapping add-on that helped a dumbass like me a lot for the couple of months that I played that game. Aside from that I am having fun with the game again.

KT

M0RPH

Diamond Member
Dec 7, 2003
Decided to give this game another try, I've played before but it was 3-4 years ago I guess. Shouldn't my character still be there? I logged in but i don't see any characters there. Not a big deal, I was only level 15 or 20.

Anyway I made a new character but after about 15 min I got bored, not sure why. I'll try again later. It's not that I don't enjoy MMOs any more, last week I was playing Forsaken World (recommended in this thread) and found that pretty fun. You gotta love the feature in FW where you just click a name or place and it auto routes you there... great for lazy people like myself.

gothamhunter

Diamond Member
Apr 20, 2010
Update: Download took about 1 1/2 hours. Install took 2 hours. Played a couple hours to level 8 as a Dwarf Champion. The game seems alright, quest tracking SUCKS. Crafting is cumbersome. You have to have the right tool equipped and be near the right crafting area in addition to having the right supplies. The introduction to crafting quests are really poor and unintuitive. The game REALLY tries to get you to buy points, gear, supplies and leveling enhancements at the online store. I'll probably stick with it for a while longer but, they haven't impressed me with anything yet.

Explain how quest tracking sucks. Because I'm pretty sure you can put it in your tracker, there's a nice little arrow on your minimap telling you where to go, and your main map has each of the locations marked too.

Yes, crafting requires you to have the correct tool next to the correct crafting area and you need the right supplies. How is this any different than any other MMO recently? And I'm pretty sure that's how it would be in real life; I'm not going to go create bronze armor with my shears over at the stove.

Yes, they want you to buy stuff. Welcome to f2p.

lupi

Lifer
Apr 8, 2001
Just be careful if you try and do the goblin town quest solo. If you aren't a bit overleveled for that place the quick respawns will rape you. Forochel is the place north of the area they added north of hobbit land shortly after release. It's a nice snow land other than a bit of slow travel till you get all the travel points through quest

ElFenix

Elite Member
Super Moderator
Mar 20, 2000
Yeah I noticed MM was pretty barren. I was over there to complete some of the big instanced quests that I had sitting there (I ran through an instance with Gimli, which was pretty cool).

I'll have to figure out where Forochel is. :hmm:

I still find some of the quest tracking and mapping to be a bit sloppy; I wish they allowed add-ons like Wow; there was a quest tracker and an interactive mapping add-on that helped a dumbass like me a lot for the couple of months that I played that game. Aside from that I am having fun with the game again.

KT

forochel is north out of evendim. from west bree take the horse to ost forod, then leave ost forod heading north on the road.

the game allows LUA scripting. not sure if there's something to address your questing issues or not. tracker seems fine to me, if a little short on the number of entries it supports.

KeithTalent

Administrator
Nov 30, 2005
Oh yeah, I think I've played there before a long time ago. I'll check it out later this week. Thanks.

Pretty sure I did the Goblin Town quest a long time ago too. So hard to remember these things. :hmm:

KT

mattpegher

Platinum Member
Jun 18, 2006
Just downloaded the game for myself and my two kids, 3 accounts. Currently have the game on two computers and working on a third, so we can play together.

Any suggestions on how to enhance the free play without breaking the bank on 3 accounts?
Noticed you can't sell anything on the AH without buying slots. And the crafting generally requires that you buy mats from AH for at least one of the skills, ie chose weaponsmithing, which is woodworking, metalsmithing and prospecting. I can farm the nodes for metal but not for wood. Will try trading mats between characters and accounts.

datalink7

Lifer
Jan 23, 2001
Just downloaded the game for myself and my two kids, 3 accounts. Currently have the game on two computers and working on a third, so we can play together.

Any suggestions on how to enhance the free play without breaking the bank on 3 accounts?
Noticed you can't sell anything on the AH without buying slots. And the crafting generally requires that you buy mats from AH for at least one of the skills, ie chose weaponsmithing, which is woodworking, metalsmithing and prospecting. I can farm the nodes for metal but not for wood. Will try trading mats between characters and accounts.

Well, if you are playing with your kids just crosswork all the crafting. You should be able to cover most of the bases with three different characters. Just chose three different crafts that complement each other.

lupi

Lifer
Apr 8, 2001
right now they have a special where if you preorder the next expansion you get a bunch of the older area FTP quest packs for free along with some xp boost and a free horse.

JoshGuru7

Golden Member
Aug 18, 2001
I think I should also clarify that while I think the LOTRO Warden is one of my favorite classes in any MMO, it is also probably not suitable for the average LOTRO player. It's a reason to pick up LOTRO if you like the idea of a complicated class that operates on the chain gambit system, but if you are just interested in the generic MMO style play then you will find much less complication (and frustration) by just playing a Hunter.

The Warden is ideal for players who are tired of the typical MMO combat and want a bit more complexity.

datalink7

Lifer
Jan 23, 2001
I have my level 65 Guardian right now. I love the guardian as I've always enjoyed tanking. However, I'm trying to decide what I want as a second class. I was thinking Warden because the gambit system is cool, but I didn't want something that performed in a similar role as the Guardian. However, I was thinking I wanted something with a bit more complexity, so maybe a Loremaster or Rune Keeper?

manko

Golden Member
May 27, 2001
However, I was thinking I wanted something with a bit more complexity, so maybe a Loremaster or Rune Keeper?

Well, RK is not complicated as a DPS. To me it's almost like a caster version of a hunter with self-heals (with shorter range and no travel skills). Maybe there's more to it when you play the healing side. It's a fun class and I would recommend it, but it's just not especially challenging. I wouldn't compare it to the Warden in that respect.

I haven't leveled my LM that far, but it seems a bit more more involved to play (at least when soloing). So, LM might be more what you're looking for.

Last edited:

mattpegher

Platinum Member
Jun 18, 2006
I like tanking so started a Guardian, enjoying it so far. Also started a LM. Usually like to experience a variety of characters, and the LM seemed to be interesting. If I am not incorrect, the LM is more spellcasting DPS?

lupi

Lifer
Apr 8, 2001
Until they added runekeeper there was no real magic dps, lm is much more of a suppport class.

KeithTalent

Administrator
Nov 30, 2005
I have a level 18 or so LM. I had fun with him, but I found it tough to solo at that point and stopped playing him. I loved having a bear pet though.

Things are so much easier when you are in a kin, but the time commitments are far too great for me.

KT

ElFenix

Elite Member
Super Moderator
Mar 20, 2000
Well, RK is not complicated as a DPS. To me it's almost like a caster version of a hunter with self-heals (with shorter range and no travel skills). Maybe there's more to it when you play the healing side. It's a fun class and I would recommend it, but it's just not especially challenging. I wouldn't compare it to the Warden in that respect.

I haven't leveled my LM that far, but it seems a bit more more involved to play (at least when soloing). So, LM might be more what you're looking for.

RK healing is proactive, iirc. so that's fairly novel afaik. also has some big group heals.

hunter is the nuker archetype in lotro.

turbine has gotten it in their heads that each class should have 3 specialties, which just is odd to me. champ is a fairly unbroken class that could use some minor tweaks (reducing cooldown and making the re-arm skill instant, for example), but has determined that a major overhaul is needed. minstrel is also getting a major overhaul with RoI.

kamikazekyle

Feb 23, 2007
While my current FOTM is EQ2, my girlfriend expressed interest in LOTRO. Seeing as how she's not a big gamer beyond casual games and I'm interested, I kinda jumped at the chance :p We haven't played any yet since I only had time to get the clients installed before work. Are there any good newbie guides beyond the official "guides" out there that aren't too badly outdated?

I'm also looking forward to trying out the Warden. Seems to remind me of my AOC days with melee combos, 'cept a bit more complex. I'll probably ease her into a simpler or more forgiving class seeing as how she has no MMO experience (or much beyond Civ5 and Majhong).