LOTRO still worth getting into?

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

bactiman

Apr 26, 2004
This thread makes me want to fire LOTRO back up. I played for a little while until life pulled me away, but the Warden sounds interesting. Is Mines of Moria required to play one?

With LOTRO going F2P, you can buy the warden class separately. But check the local stores if they still have boxed copy of MOM expansion, you will be able to get all the content and classes (warden and rune keeper) for cheap.

You used to be able to get the expansion at amazon for $9.99 but apparently not anymore.

KeithTalent

Elite Member | Administrator | No Lifer
Administrator
Nov 30, 2005
No matter how many characters I create in this game, I always get bored just past level 20 and quit. The first 15 or so levels are super fun, but after that it just gets tedious.

KT

terry107

Dec 8, 2005
With LOTRO going F2P, you can buy the warden class separately. But check the local stores if they still have boxed copy of MOM expansion, you will be able to get all the content and classes (warden and rune keeper) for cheap.

You used to be able to get the expansion at amazon for $9.99 but apparently not anymore.

Good point. I didn't even think about buying the warden separately. Will have to check it out when I get home.

gothamhunter

Diamond Member
Apr 20, 2010
No matter how many characters I create in this game, I always get bored just past level 20 and quit. The first 15 or so levels are super fun, but after that it just gets tedious.

KT

What did you ever do after level 20? Lonelands has been completely revamped, plus you can start doing the instances and skirmishes then too...

KeithTalent

Administrator
Nov 30, 2005
What did you ever do after level 20? Lonelands has been completely revamped, plus you can start doing the instances and skirmishes then too...

Well I got my Captain up to level 45 or so, but again, I got bored in the areas there; I think it was the Misty Mountains and Angmar?

I may need to fire this up again and see how the new or re-vamped areas are.

Is Hunter still the best solo character, or is it Warden now? I have the Moria expansion, so I don't need to buy anything I don't think. :hmm:

KT

gothamhunter

Diamond Member
Apr 20, 2010
Well I got my Captain up to level 45 or so, but again, I got bored in the areas there; I think it was the Misty Mountains and Angmar?

Is Hunter still the best solo character, or is it Warden now? I have the Moria expansion, so I don't need to buy anything I don't think. :hmm:

KT

If you can get the hang of how to play the Warden class, then it's the best solo character by far. Otherwise hunter is.

blackened23

Diamond Member
Jul 26, 2011
How does lotro compare to rift? I'm sick of wow and was thinking of trying something new. I'm just not sure if rift or lotro would fit that bill.

KeithTalent

Administrator
Nov 30, 2005
If you can get the hang of how to play the Warden class, then it's the best solo character by far. Otherwise hunter is.

Well it can't be that hard. I'm going to re-install this weekend. :thumbsup:

KT

Merad

Platinum Member
May 31, 2010
The only downsides to Warden is that you get to re-learn the class every time you take break from the game.

makken

Golden Member
Aug 28, 2004
K, got the game installed. Got rid of that pando media booster thingie cause it kept seeding. I don't need it to dl patches or updates right?

Made a human captain, got to level 10 or so. I don't know, not really getting that drawn into the game. combat is somewhat boring, since it seems like all 3 of my special attacks look the same and do the same amount of damage (maybe its a class thing?). Is there a talent or skill system in this game?

lupi

Lifer
Apr 8, 2001
yes, and I'd say captain may be a bad choice to start the game as.

CurseTheSky

Diamond Member
Oct 21, 2006
How big is the game world compared to say, WoW or Rift?

I really miss having a big in-game world like Asheron's Call. I did try LOTRO for a while way back in the day, but may have only made it to level 10 or so, if that. I'm really looking for something that will take me a long time to explore. Rift is fun, but the world feels too small. :(

ElFenix

Elite Member
Super Moderator
Mar 20, 2000
Warden's have the tendancy to out-tank Guardians and are the only ones that can fully claim to be the best at soloing, all because of their amazing ability to self-heal.

For example:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WC8BXAHJsO4

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FZUlg8h9gI4

champions can do that too
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l2jjcSITVyw

K, got the game installed. Got rid of that pando media booster thingie cause it kept seeding. I don't need it to dl patches or updates right?

Made a human captain, got to level 10 or so. I don't know, not really getting that drawn into the game. combat is somewhat boring, since it seems like all 3 of my special attacks look the same and do the same amount of damage (maybe its a class thing?). Is there a talent or skill system in this game?

i wouldn't roll a captain for a first character. they're buffers with low dps and an ok off-tank ability.

skills are generally purchased from class trainers. some skills come from completing class deeds.

i'm leotax on landroval if you happen to have rolled there.

How big is the game world compared to say, WoW or Rift?
if i got on my horse and rode from one end to the other (thorin's gate in ered luin to the gates of dul guldur in mirkwood) it'd take probably 2 hours

KT
early-mid 40s is the slowest point in the game. once you hit enedwaith or forochel it picks up again. i think rise of isengard is bringing an angmar revamp as well, so that should help. the progression from starter lands to western breeland to lone lands to evendim is really quick and easy now. then you go to east angmar, run out of soloable quests, and try to find stuff in eastern trollshaws or misty mountains. at least, that's where i'm at with a lvl 44 i've been working on. lvl 45 i'll be going to enedwaith so that'll be better.

a lot of people just skirmish through much of those levels.

I've been thinking of trying LOTRO. Warden, eh? Who would like or not like it? I played a mage over a Sorcerer in DDO, something I liked better about the spell setup.

I bought both LOTRO and Mines of Moria, but never installed them, so not sure what advantages they give today.
shadows of angmar (LOTRO) and mines of moria will give you all the quests for those regions and the 2 classes that came with mines (the warden and rune keeper). a regular free player only gets quests for the starter zones (including breeland) and the lone lands, as well as the epic quests. the rest requires turbine points.

Last edited:

terry107

Dec 8, 2005
Fired up LOTRO again and made a Warden on Crickhollow. Seems like an interesting class to play - I like the combo Gambit system.

lupi

Lifer
Apr 8, 2001
both the warden and runecaster where very good class adds, and maybe some of the best mmo char classes period.

makken

Golden Member
Aug 28, 2004
i wouldn't roll a captain for a first character. they're buffers with low dps and an ok off-tank ability.

hmm, what class would you suggest then? I generally prefer something that can self-heal.

Xed

Golden Member
Nov 15, 2003
Try a Champ or Hunter if you want to dps.

Things usually die well before you'd need to self heal and Hunters get ports around the world at higher levels.

MagnusTheBrewer

IN MEMORIAM
Jun 19, 2004
Thought I'd give it a try. DL took ~ 1 1/2 hours. Installation seems to be taking about the same. Not impressed so far.

datalink7

Lifer
Jan 23, 2001
Thought I'd give it a try. DL took ~ 1 1/2 hours. Installation seems to be taking about the same. Not impressed so far.

If you love the LOTR lore, LOTRO is a great game. They did a good job imagining the locations in the book. I like going to see Weathertop, or checking out Archet, or exploring the Mines of Moria.

If you aren't into the lore, like I am, there isn't that much to draw you into this game as opposed to some other MMO. It has solid gameplay, but nothing really too special. I just like it because it is fun being in the LOTR universe.

KeithTalent

Administrator
Nov 30, 2005
Played my level 48 Captain for a couple of hours today; was fun, but I think I need to role a new character and play the beginning again.

KT

Feneant2

Golden Member
May 26, 2004
Anyone else noticing that the world is pretty empty in LoTRO these days? I rarely see any other players (I play on Dwarrowdelf). I wish they'd merge some of the servers to improve that.

What I like the most is you can easily solo to 65. Being VIP makes it much easier though I'm since removed it but can still level relatively well. The obvious downside is I have no idea how to play in a group but I don't mind, I prefer solo'ing anyways. For solo'ing I loved the Rune Keeper class, I had a pretty easy time of it. The Captain is murderously slow if you solo, the dps is just too low for it to go well.

Actually, what I wrote this for is that people mention Moria- that place is hit or miss. Some players, myself included, absolutely despise it. Unlike most of the game which is fairly open and easy to navigate, Moria is an enormous dark maze. I do Eregion and skirmishes to reach 56 and exit Moria without having to go through it. I was hoping the upcoming expansion would have a new 50-60 area but it's not looking like it will.

And to the fellow asking if it's a large game world, it's very large and travelling reminds me of Eq1 where it can take 20-30 minutes to get somewhere if you aren't prepared.

KeithTalent

Administrator
Nov 30, 2005
I played for several hours on the weekend and I did notice it was pretty quiet in most of the areas I was playing in, though Bree still seemed relatively busy. I'm on Gladden and Silverlode, but mainly Gladden. I cruised around Angmar and The Misty Mountains for quite a while yesterday and was able to solo quite a bit of stuff with my Captain, which was great. My biggest complaints before were that I could not find enough stuff that I could solo and I never felt I was progressing on my own, but things are better now.

I checked out the store for the first time too and I like it; helps that I have almost 10,000 points (no idea how I got them) to spend, so I could buy a bunch of fun stuff with no real cost.

Good times.

KT

gothamhunter

Diamond Member
Apr 20, 2010

Not impressed with the download/install or with the game itself?

The game client, if you went high-res, is over 10GB, so don't expect it to be super fast :eek:

gothamhunter

Diamond Member
Apr 20, 2010
I played for several hours on the weekend and I did notice it was pretty quiet in most of the areas I was playing in, though Bree still seemed relatively busy. I'm on Gladden and Silverlode, but mainly Gladden. I cruised around Angmar and The Misty Mountains for quite a while yesterday and was able to solo quite a bit of stuff with my Captain, which was great. My biggest complaints before were that I could not find enough stuff that I could solo and I never felt I was progressing on my own, but things are better now.

I checked out the store for the first time too and I like it; helps that I have almost 10,000 points (no idea how I got them) to spend, so I could buy a bunch of fun stuff with no real cost.

Good times.

KT

Are you a lifetime subscriber?