Lost WD 1.5T green after S3-S4 wakeup in Win7

Discussion in 'Memory and Storage' started by mikek753, Dec 25, 2009.

1. mikek753

mikek753 Senior member

hi all,

Every time I wake up my system Win7 with 3 HDD:
    1. Seagate 1T;
    2. Seagate 1T;
    3. WD 1.5T green.

The WD is gone and Disk Manager doesn't see it anymore.
    I have to reboot Win7 to get WD 1.5T hdd back every time. This is very annoying.
    This is HTPC that has to be in stand by S3+S4 (hybrid) for 70% time and I don't want to leave the system on all the time.

In bios I have AHCI for SATA drives and Seagate drives works just fine.
    What's wrong with WD drive?

Thanks for the help.

2. railman

railman Member

Are you running an ASUS mobo? If so in BIOS make sure that ACPI 2.0 in POWER MANAGEMENT is enabled.

If you cannot correct the problem by making sure that your power management options in your BIOS are set correctly then try running the drive in native IDE mode.

If all else fails you might wish to try this:http://slicksolutions.eu/
    They have a Media Center Stand By Tool that can usually solve most stand by issues.

3. mikek753

mikek753 Senior member

thanks for the reply.
    I run Biostar T 55
    I setup MCE Stand By tool - what to set there? I don't see settings for HDD.
    Also, 2 Seagate work just fine.
    No, I don't want to go to IDE mode.

4. SanDiegoPC

SanDiegoPC Senior member

Don't use the standby mode - when you don't want the PC on, just shut it off.

5. AndyD2k

AndyD2k Senior member

Why do you say that? I hear s3 should not really be a problem. I intend to let my HTPC go to sleep but curious why you say that

6. mikek753

mikek753 Senior member

no, I want my htpc in S3-S4 as I want to wake it up by remote

BTW - even you turn off PC the power supply is on all the time (in low power mode) - unless you unplug it.

7. railman

railman Member

I believe the MCE Stand by Tool manages all power settings in Windows on preconfigured settings. I am unsure if you can access advanced or custom settings as I have not had the oportunity to try it out yet, I just found out about MCE myself a few days ago and dowloaded it for use on the WHS machine but have no installed it yet. I like you have had some problems with power management related to media center so thought this might be a good option for you as well. Reading the claims on the site it sounds like it can resolve most issues.

8. Khadgar

Khadgar Member

9. Khadgar

Khadgar Member

If there are any other ideas out there, I'd like to hear. I think something's up with the default MS SATA drivers in Win7.

10. railman

railman Member

You might try swapping the ports to which the drives are connected to example, place the drive that is disappearing on the first SATA port on the mobo usually port 0 and the rest of the drives to other ports, port 1 port 2 etc.

It is possible that the drive controllers have a problem with the associated power configuration commands unless they are the highest in the drive port boot order.

Not sure it this will help but you might give it a try.