"Lost" Series Finale "The End" Sunday 9-11:30pm NO SPOILERS UNTIL AIRED

Page 42 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

cronos

Diamond Member
Nov 7, 2001
So, since the show's been finished for a while now, anybody planning on rewatching the series in the future? I know a lot of people bitch about the last season/episode but I still love the show as a whole and would like to rewatch it in a year or two.

I actually just watched the finale double episode again on a whim just this past Sunday, and I think I liked it even better than before :eek:

A Casual Fitz

Diamond Member
May 16, 2005
that was always the plan with me, until the last season retroactively ruined the show

This. I watched 1-5 three times and was considering going back and trying season 6 a second time but when I looked at the titles I kept going "meh, no thanks."

blankslate

Diamond Member
Jun 16, 2008
I finally watched the last few episodes of Lost via Netflix (I had stopped watching weekly before the last 2 seasons and started catching up again a few months ago), including finishing the finale just now.

All I have to say is...

"That was stupid."

Seriously, WTF?!? I am so disappointed. That left us with way more questions than answers.

MotionMan

Yeah, I've talked to someone who was enjoying the show on netflix and warned him that he might not like the ending. He hated it as well.

If I was able to talk to you before you watched the last season I would have told you to make up your own ending. You'd probably be more satisfied with the show wondering what the ending is rather than actually knowing what they filmed.

Via

Diamond Member
Jan 14, 2009
I've probably posted this is this thread too, but I don't feel like checking: I wish they would have just gone with what some surmised was the original plan and had the last scene feature Hurley in the mental institution next to the crazy guy reciting the numbers, with Jack as his doctor coming to check on him.

I've read that they were supposedly worried that too many people had figured that angle out (it wasn't that subtle), but the ending sequence could have been one of those montages that show events on the island next contrasted with the way they were percieved by Hurley in the institution.

They should have just said "fuck it" and went with it.

MotionMan

Lifer
Jan 11, 2006
I've probably posted this is this thread too, but I don't feel like checking: I wish they would have just gone with what some surmised was the original plan and had the last scene feature Hurley in the mental institution next to the crazy guy reciting the numbers, with Jack as his doctor coming to check on him.

I've read that they were supposedly worried that too many people had figured that angle out (it wasn't that subtle), but the ending sequence could have been one of those montages that show events on the island next contrasted with the way they were percieved by Hurley in the institution.

They should have just said "fuck it" and went with it.

Two words:

Snow globe

;)

MotionMan

blackdogdeek

Lifer
Mar 14, 2003
So, since the show's been finished for a while now, anybody planning on rewatching the series in the future? I know a lot of people bitch about the last season/episode but I still love the show as a whole and would like to rewatch it in a year or two.

i've thought about it because my wife started the first season in an attempt to catch up before the finale. she never made it but i don't think i could ever watch all of the rest of the seasons again because i think it would be too emotional to go through.

JEDI

Lifer
Sep 25, 2001
2 1/2hrs... i predict 1hr worth of commercials :(

1) why couldnt MiB destroy the island w/the h-bomb?
2) how did jacob come to/from island?
3) What are the #'s? what do they mean?
4) why did they have to enter the #'s into the computer every 108 min?
4a) how did this stop the electromagnetic occurance?

5) backstory of the egyptian statue?
Near the 10th anniversary of the finale episode of Lost (May 2010), i found the answer to my Question #3.

lostpedia.fandom.com/wiki/Candidates

The 6 #s represent 6 of the possible candidates to take over Jacob's job as protector of the island.
each # corresponds to a lighthouse compass degree setting that veers into that person's life.

There are over 100 candidates, each represented by a unique # but those specific 6 #s keep reappearing throughout the show.
ie: #'s entered into the computer, Hurley's lotto #s, underground hatch door part #

Thats because they were the final 6 candidates for the job.

I still dont know the answer for my question #4: why did they have to manually enter the #s?
why couldnt a simple subroutine be written to automatically enter the #s every 108 min?

(also, yeah Pandemic and lots of down time to revisit great shows with terrible series finales.)

Last edited:

dasherHampton

Platinum Member
Jan 19, 2018
Maybe they had to enter the numbers manually so they couldn't leave. They were required to be physically present.

I always considered that the writer's original plan was for Walt to be the candidate. But they just ditched that (and most of the other original ideas) and made stuff up as they went along.

Funny thing - I just watched Mission Impossible: Ghost Protocol (Which is a pretty good action movie) and Sawyer plays a bit part as an agent.

1) He's called "Hannaway" in an obvious reference to Josh "Holloway"

2) His acting is basically "Sawyer as a secret agent"

3) He uses nicknames, same as Sawyer

4) He radios about being chased by "armed hostiles"

TridenT

Lifer
Sep 4, 2006
Maybe they had to enter the numbers manually so they couldn't leave. They were required to be physically present.

I always considered that the writer's original plan was for Walt to be the candidate. But they just ditched that (and most of the other original ideas) and made stuff up as they went along.

Funny thing - I just watched Mission Impossible: Ghost Protocol (Which is a pretty good action movie) and Sawyer plays a bit part as an agent.

1) He's called "Hannaway" in an obvious reference to Josh "Holloway"

2) His acting is basically "Sawyer as a secret agent"

3) He uses nicknames, same as Sawyer

4) He radios about being chased by "armed hostiles"

Bit late to the party here, aren't we?

JujuFish

Lifer
Feb 3, 2005
I loved the discussions when Lost was current. I don't think I'll ever have a show that recreates that for me.

NuclearNed

Raconteur
May 18, 2001
This thread sparked a convo between myself & Mrs Ned about whether or not we would enjoy Lost if we binged it beginning to end. We watched it religiously back in the day when it was on live tv, hated the ending, & haven't thought much about it since. We concluded that it was too big of a time commitment to gamble on the hope that we might like the ending better now, years later.

TheVrolok

Lifer
Dec 11, 2000
This thread sparked a convo between myself & Mrs Ned about whether or not we would enjoy Lost if we binged it beginning to end. We watched it religiously back in the day when it was on live tv, hated the ending, & haven't thought much about it since. We concluded that it was too big of a time commitment to gamble on the hope that we might like the ending better now, years later.
My wife has never seen it, I mostly enjoyed it back when it was on. I've also been thinking about going back to binge it, only problem is that this is a show where you actually need to pay attention (not look down at a phone during it, watch while entertaining a baby, cooking dinner, etc) and that makes it such a time commitment.

JTsyo

Lifer
Nov 18, 2007
Somewhere there's a version that goes through all the scenes chronologically. It might be a good twist for the 2nd watch through.
Found it

A Casual Fitz

Diamond Member
May 16, 2005
I loved the discussions when Lost was current. I don't think I'll ever have a show that recreates that for me.
The first season of Westworld was pretty damn close. I looked forward to every Sunday night/subsequent theory discussion.

A Casual Fitz

Diamond Member
May 16, 2005
Being a superfan back in the day and having watched it about 5 years ago, it really dragged at parts. I don't think any show other than villain of the week format should have 22 episode seasons. Other than that, I enjoyed a retrospective look back.

The final season as a whole was pretty bad other than a few key answers because they knew it would be more of an epic cluster if they didn't answer anything.

BudAshes

Lifer
Jul 20, 2003
I'm still mad about the ending to this.

Also, NOT PENNY'S BOAT!

Soooo good and then soooo bad. I honestly don't even know how they could have made the last season any worse. They should have just left the show open ended and set it up for a sequel at some point when someone came up with a decent idea for an ending.