"Lost" Series Finale "The End" Sunday 9-11:30pm NO SPOILERS UNTIL AIRED

Page 41 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

guyver01

Lifer
Sep 25, 2000
Did you know that Ben Linus..
ben-linus.jpg

and Zep Hindle
ZepHindle.JPG

were played by the same actor?

Mind. Blown!
mind-blown.jpg

Sep 29, 2004
I really liked this show until maybe somewhere around season 4 or 5.

Then it just took perhaps the most dramatic turn toward sucking of anything I've ever seen.

Then the finale... :'( So bad.

Ya, seasons 1 and 2 were awesome. Episode 1 of season 3 was good. But it just dragged out way to much. Season 4 was getting sucky. And I only watched 5 and 6 to see how it would end.

I am in the 50% camp that thought the finale/conclusion sucked.

Homerboy

Lifer
Mar 1, 2000
Did you know that Jin is the same person that "diagnosed" Kramer with gonorrhea in Seinfeld?
It's true.

Nebbers

Jan 18, 2011
Ya, seasons 1 and 2 were awesome. Episode 1 of season 3 was good. But it just dragged out way to much. Season 4 was getting sucky. And I only watched 5 and 6 to see how it would end.

I am in the 50% camp that thought the finale/conclusion sucked.

The ending was like... oh, you thought this was a drama with some sci-fi elements to it?

NOPE, ITS THE LATEST BOOK BY C.S. LEWIS

Via

Diamond Member
Jan 14, 2009
The two characters they mystified themselves with were Locke and Jack. Many other roles on the show were very sharply drawn but they surprisingly confused on the direction to go with those two.

Is Locke a doubter, a man of faith, a guru, helpless, single-minded of purpose or confused? It wavered from episode to epsiode at times. What was the purpose, for example, of having him play drug counselor to Charlie when he had no clear vision for himself?

And Jack, who had such a herioc start (even as a flawed man), degenerated into a side-show of personal torment. I suspect this was done to smooth over Kate's move towards Sawyer.

When you compare them to a character like Charlie they're basically all over the place.

And I got really sick of using Charlie's drug problems as an excuse to have the other characters treat him like absolute shit.

blackdogdeek

Lifer
Mar 14, 2003
i still get emotional when i think about the scene in the finale when
Kate and Jack finally profess their love for each other and Kate says "tell me i'm gonna see you again".

Via

Diamond Member
Jan 14, 2009
I do remember the two last "Lost" finale parties the we had. It was a pretty different feel, and not just because the series was ending.

After season 5, when
the screen went white after Juliet was banging the nuke
, it was very animated. Lot's of discussion on what happened, how it was going to affect things, how they were going to wrap things up and tie together loose plot lines etc.

After season 6 there was nothing - no talk, no banter, no musings. Just a general "are you serious?" type of feeling. It was sort of like a wake; we were saying goodbye to characters we had lived with for 6 years. But that doesn't completely explain the stunned nature of everyone who had just watched it.

As I probably posted earlier on this thead (I don't feel like looking) when you write 6 years worth of checks you have to cash at least some of them.

I know some viewers were satisfied with the finale, and that's great. I don't want to argue with them. One of the problems for me may also have been that some of the people in our "Lost" club had moved away and were only coming back into town to the season finale parties; that added to the finality of it all. Turns out I was right - I haven't seen them since.

BudAshes

Lifer
Jul 20, 2003
Anyone that is satisfied by the finale of lost would probably be satisfied by anything. They should just live in a box on the street and beg people for change because they obviously have no standards.

Firestorm007

Dec 9, 2010
Yep.. I skipped a few episodes on season six and felt like I really didn't miss much. It was a complete letdown. It kind of reminded me of Matrix 3...One was awesome, two was ok..and three was a complete suck fest...I hate spending that much time on a show or movie that had the potential for awesomeness, but in the end lost focus and crashed into a sea of disjointed crap...

MotionMan

Lifer
Jan 11, 2006
I finally watched the last few episodes of Lost via Netflix (I had stopped watching weekly before the last 2 seasons and started catching up again a few months ago), including finishing the finale just now.

All I have to say is...

"That was stupid."

Seriously, WTF?!? I am so disappointed. That left us with way more questions than answers.

MotionMan

A Casual Fitz

Diamond Member
May 16, 2005
I finally watched the last few episodes of Lost via Netflix (I had stopped watching weekly before the last 2 seasons and started catching up again a few months ago), including finishing the finale just now.

All I have to say is...

"That was stupid."

Seriously, WTF?!? I am so disappointed. That left us with way more questions than answers.

MotionMan

Necro'd again... at least you're playing the catch up game now and didn't eagerly anticipate this when it was huge.

EvilYoda

Lifer
Apr 1, 2001
So, since the show's been finished for a while now, anybody planning on rewatching the series in the future? I know a lot of people bitch about the last season/episode but I still love the show as a whole and would like to rewatch it in a year or two.

rcpratt

Lifer
Jul 2, 2009
I just rewatched with my GF. Still enjoyed it quite a bit, picked up on a lot of things in early seasons that weren't explained until later seasons (although I can't think of an example at the moment). First two seasons were still amazing, last three were still average.

I guess the thing that I noticed the most is how much more sense the late Season 5 thru Season 6 storyline ("sense" is a relative term, I guess) the second time around.

Via

Diamond Member
Jan 14, 2009
I actually still watch an episode now and then. I'l probably continue to as long as the series is on netflix.

For some reason my mind can treat visual things the same way it treats music. When I re-watch a movie or TV show I really enjoyed it's sort of like listening to a symphony that I heard many times; it moves me in an emotional rather than intellectual way.

I still think the "Lost" pilot is the greatest sci-fi drama pilot of all time, and may the greatest pilot ever made.

BudAshes

Lifer
Jul 20, 2003
Anyone that is satisfied by the finale of lost would probably be satisfied by anything. They should just live in a box on the street and beg people for change because they obviously have no standards.

Lol i forgot I posted this but it is so true. I have a friend who just went and watched every season of lost and I'm trying to stop him from watching the last episode. He will probably still watch it but he's going to be so disappointed even though he already know it sucks. The whole last season is something out of one of those sci-fi type WB shows. Bad writing, bad special effects and dialogue that is completely contrary to the themes and character building they had spent the last 5 seasons creating. Somehow even the set building looks like a cheesy disney ride in the final season.

Kev

Lifer
Dec 17, 2001
So, since the show's been finished for a while now, anybody planning on rewatching the series in the future? I know a lot of people bitch about the last season/episode but I still love the show as a whole and would like to rewatch it in a year or two.

that was always the plan with me, until the last season retroactively ruined the show