Lost my wallet, newbie needs some help!

Lurknomore

Golden Member
Jul 3, 2005
:Q

Been lurking long but need some assistance ASAP.
It was an old wallet, but it contained my old credit card, old drivers license, some banking, receipts, and worst of all, my social security card. It had basically my whole identity there, so dumb.
HOw screwed am I?

So far I've:
- cancelled my current credit card account, transferred to new one which wasn't stolen.
- put a hold on my bank account, talked to a rep on the phone who issued a security access form which will be mailed. Sadly the branch doesn't till Tues., damn this July4th.
- can't do anything about the drivers, prolly gotta wait till Tues?
- my SS, this worries me the most, as anybody can access my account thru the phone with just the bank card number and SS number until I get the security access code. I've checked my statements, so far no suspicious activity.

What else do I need to do? I know- a new SS card, but can't goto the office until Tues.
My sis says I should file a police report, but I'm not sure how much they can help at this time.
Even with a new SS card, I'd assume there'd be no change to my name and number, so whoever might have my number could still use it.

Please, share your advice - I know some of you may have been thru this hell! :(

Jassi

Diamond Member
Sep 8, 2004
If you file a police report, it may come in handy with liability issues. I am not a lawyer but that was the first step I took when my wallet got stolen (gym locker was broken in to). I had everything minus the SS card but add my Canadian citizenship card (I was in the states and it was the only piece of ID I could use to cross the border after 911). I also filed a report with Canadian Customs just to be safe.

slick230

Banned
Jan 31, 2003
Police won't do anything. IF the wallet gets turned into them they MAY call you. Do you still live at the address on the old DL? If so, keep an eye out for any strangers in the area. Someone might decide to come a knockin' and see what goodies you have at home.

Lurknomore

Golden Member
Jul 3, 2005
Originally posted by: slick230
Police won't do anything. IF the wallet gets turned into them they MAY call you. Do you still live at the address on the old DL? If so, keep an eye out for any strangers in the area. Someone might decide to come a knockin' and see what goodies you have at home.

Yeah, I still do. :(

From what I've read, I should file a fraud report on my credit to prevent others from opening an account. Anything else, excepting home security, I need to know?

angstsoldat

Jun 30, 2005
Hey it could be worse.. at least you didnt spend half an hour printing 11 pages that you already had

Lurknomore

Golden Member
Jul 3, 2005
Originally posted by: angstsoldat
Oh god it started printing again I think my printer is FUBAR

Haha, I think they have Samsung printer deals this 4th July weekend- go check them out! ;)

angstsoldat

Jun 30, 2005
hehe :) this one was good at one point ... its like 4 years old though so yeah I think I might want to get a new laser printer lol .. heard those are much faster. I've only had to replace ink cartradges like twice sense i've had this though so I dont use it very much but when i do oh god it takes forever :(

KarenMarie

Elite Member
Sep 20, 2003
you should file a police report.

even if they never find it and you never get it back, it is still nice to have documented proof that this happend. just in case the sh*t hits the fan at a later date, you can pull the report as proof. and see if there is a social security office hot line that you can call and report it stolen.

with the info that was in that wallet... there is not too much more info need to cause a sh*t load of problems for you.

angstsoldat

Jun 30, 2005
btw about your wallet you said it had all your old stuff in it, old license etc.

sooo you carried this around with you also? My step-bro when we were down in Oregan we drove in from Seattle and crashed at our Cousins, and then we left for 3 weeks to another City and he left his coat/wallet there and was looking for it furiously for that whole time and we finally went back there and he had just left it there lol.