Lost my Laptop Today....

tRaptor

Golden Member
Jul 31, 2002
I'm very :(

Left the dam thing in the caffateria.

----------------------
Update:

Filed Homeowners Insurance Claim. Guess we will just wait and see.

djheater

Lifer
Mar 19, 2001
Originally posted by: Heisenberg
Doh. Here, you'll need many of these: :beer:

I feel your pain OP and agree with the above sentiment.

I've done many stupid things of a like nature. Don't worry, it'll all come out in the wash. If you had any personal info on there take steps to insure it can't be used against you and start saving now for a killer rig

Cheers

tRaptor

Golden Member
Jul 31, 2002
iBook 600 Mhz :(

I havent even had it very long since i just traded my old powerbook in. :(
I still have some hope.

I still have the ac adaptor :). I can live without it, but i still really miss it :(
This is not my week, monday i fried my slot loading dvd drive......I want to die

AgaBoogaBoo

Lifer
Feb 16, 2003
Yeah, if you had any personal info like credit card numbers and such get those changed

Might want to put up signs for a $50 reward or something too

RossMAN

Grand Nagus
Feb 24, 2000
We have IE set to "auto complete" and I have about 40 FTP login and passwords saved in WS_FTP on our laptop.

So our banking, credit card and web site info would be compromised if our laptop were lost/stolen.

Entity

Lifer
Oct 11, 1999
Originally posted by: RossMAN
We have IE set to "auto complete" and I have about 40 FTP login and passwords saved in WS_FTP on our laptop.

So our banking, credit card and web site info would be compromised if our laptop were lost/stolen.

Note to self: steal RossMAN's laptop.

:( to the OP.

tRaptor

Golden Member
Jul 31, 2002
Originally posted by: RossMAN

Thanks for reminding me! Nothing really compromizing, but email and such, passwords are changed now.

BD2003

Lifer
Oct 9, 1999
Do you live in a dorm or another small community like that? If so, get in contact with the IT people, and see if they can get your MAC address. It will be unique to the network card in your pc. If youve got friends there, or if theyre feeling nice, and they have a well set up network, they SHOULD be able to track it down if the dumbass who took it decides to plug it onto the network.

tRaptor

Golden Member
Jul 31, 2002
Originally posted by: BD2003
Do you live in a dorm or another small community like that? If so, get in contact with the IT people, and see if they can get your MAC address. It will be unique to the network card in your pc. If youve got friends there, or if theyre feeling nice, and they have a well set up network, they SHOULD be able to track it down if the dumbass who took it decides to plug it onto the network.

Thats not a bad idea. IN FACT! If they try to use it on the wireless, (they open it and it will connect) then i know what IP it will have. Not much, but its a start.
I'll ask some of my computing services friends tomorrow.

As far as how i lost it, i simply left it in the cafeteria, we had computer club meeting, then supper, i simply forgot to pick it up when we left.
I had a all-student email sent out today (as they often do) for lost and found, offered reward. No luck yet.

Since it is OS X, it "might" sign me on to AIM when it is internet connected. I say might becasue it depends on the status i closed it as. If that happened then trillian would have told me i was signed on in 2 locations.

Last thing, they dont have the AC adaptor. This is a good or a bad thing. Good: they might try to goto a mac person (most of which i know) or they might just give up. Bad: Battery is not going to last them more than an hour, which means tracking them is nearly impossible.

Oh yeha, i am at college.

As for the serial Number, i dont have it here at school, but i "should" have it at home, we'll find out this weekend.

Kaieye

Platinum Member
Oct 9, 1999
This is what I don't undersand about bringing an expensive laptop to college these days. My neighborhood friend is going to college and is planning on buying an expensive laptop(around $1500 bucks) and I told him why don't you buy an used p3 500-600 for about $400 bucks?? I explained my reasoning that you have a good chance having your laptop stolen or damaged in school. You shouldn't bring anything valuable going to school but hey- its your $$$.

Jan 31, 2002
If you lost it at lunchtime today, there's no need to be doom and gloom yet. Someone may have picked it up and is writing a "found, please call" flyer right now ... on your iBook. ;)

- M4H

tRaptor

Golden Member
Jul 31, 2002
Originally posted by: Kaieye
This is what I don't undersand about bringing an expensive laptop to college these days. My neighborhood friend is going to college and is planning on buying an expensive laptop(around $1500 bucks) and I told him why don't you buy an used p3 500-600 for about $400 bucks?? I explained my reasoning that you have a good chance having your laptop stolen or damaged in school. You shouldn't bring anything valuable going to school but hey- its your $$$.

My old laptop was $400, this one was $600. Its a lot of money either way to me. But i also found it extremly usefull. But i know what your talking about. Tell him not to spend that much unless it is a mini laptop. He will regret spending $1500 on a dell monster if he decides to cary it around.

tRaptor

Golden Member
Jul 31, 2002
Originally posted by: MercenaryForHire
If you lost it at lunchtime today, there's no need to be doom and gloom yet. Someone may have picked it up and is writing a "found, please call" flyer right now ... on your iBook. ;)

- M4H

I'm not letting it get to me. I'm mad, but i'm not going to let myself loose it, it wasent "THAT" much money, and i know going crazy wont help it come back.

It was technically lastnight i lost it, it WAS after the lost and found closed, i also goto a small school, somthing under 2k students, about 1.2k on campus, so i still have lots of hope.

~Tyler

BD2003

Lifer
Oct 9, 1999
Originally posted by: tRaptor
Originally posted by: BD2003

Thats not a bad idea. IN FACT! If they try to use it on the wireless, (they open it and it will connect) then i know what IP it will have. Not much, but its a start.
I'll ask some of my computing services friends tomorrow.

As far as how i lost it, i simply left it in the cafeteria, we had computer club meeting, then supper, i simply forgot to pick it up when we left.
I had a all-student email sent out today (as they often do) for lost and found, offered reward. No luck yet.

Since it is OS X, it "might" sign me on to AIM when it is internet connected. I say might becasue it depends on the status i closed it as. If that happened then trillian would have told me i was signed on in 2 locations.

Last thing, they dont have the AC adaptor. This is a good or a bad thing. Good: they might try to goto a mac person (most of which i know) or they might just give up. Bad: Battery is not going to last them more than an hour, which means tracking them is nearly impossible.

Oh yeha, i am at college.

As for the serial Number, i dont have it here at school, but i "should" have it at home, we'll find out this weekend.

If youre at college, then another student prob jacked it for sure. My guess is if its not going back to you its prob going to ebay. Make sure you call apple up and have it registered as stolen. If someone ever tries to get it repaired, you just might get it back.

Not sure exactly how wireless works, but they also have unique serials, and someone tries to use it, they might even be able to narrow it down to a specific area. Again, this is entirely contingent on how many friends you have in high places in it.