lost my car to fire. suggestions for new cars around 20k please :)

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by gorb, Jan 3, 2013.

1. Dr. Detroit

Dr. Detroit Diamond Member

Best looking compact on the market right now. They look fantastic - gas mileage is not the best though.

2. 5150Joker

5150Joker Diamond Member

I would avoid any Korean car, no matter what some magazine rates it. Your firsthand experience should tell you enough. I'd go for the Mazda 3 or 6 with Ford focus a close second.

3. RagingBITCH

RagingBITCH Lifer

4. power_hour

power_hour Senior member

A solid and smart buy here is an Honda Accord, even if its more cash.

Mazda3 - nice and all, great handling but they do have some minor issues
    Elantra - you already had one Korean car fire, one is enough :)
    Focus - unproven reliability, some recent issues that give me pause

Civic would be my backup choice. Mazda3 would be my distant choice.

5. SpatiallyAware

:D

6. vi edit

vi edit Elite Member <br> Super Moderator
    Super Moderator

7. WackyDan

WackyDan Diamond Member

Nissan Sentra comes pretty nicely featured for less than 20K.

8. KeithP

KeithP Diamond Member

:rolleyes:

-KeithP

9. gorb

gorb Senior member

I'm really liking the 2013 accord. Can only really afford the LX, but it seems to be decently equipped for a base model :)

10. vi edit

Super Moderator

If you have something useful to add, then please do so. Hyundai has a class action lawsuit against it for mileage issues. Go look at about any forum dedicated to Hyundai whether it be an Elantra, Veloster, the Turbo Sonata, ect. All of them have dissapointing fuel reports far off from the sticker rating. Go read the user reviews at Edmunds. Same thing.

Other brands have their problems - Ford with the new Fusion & Cmax hybrids for example.

But there are some brands that do get very close, if not exceed the mileage figures. Honda and recent Mazda's seem to do better than others in many owner reviews and long term test drives by online car sites.

11. NutBucket

NutBucket Lifer

Pretty sure you can still find left over 2012 Accords. While they don't have all the bells and whistles of the 2013 it should be a good bit cheaper as dealers want them gone.

12. RagingBITCH

RagingBITCH Lifer

The Sport is about another $1.5Kish more, depending on dealer. EX about $2.5 w/ push start! I have an 04 LX and regret every day not getting the EX. In the grand scheme of things, the extra few grand would be mice nuts for monthly payments. I wish the EX had a pkg option to get all the goodies from the Sport onto it.

13. cbrsurfr

cbrsurfr Golden Member

His current Hyundai bursts into flames and the first thing you recommend is another one? lol I'd never buy another again.

14. compman25

compman25 Diamond Member

To be fair, the Pinto technically needed a second car for it to become a rolling bbq.

15. gorb

gorb Senior member

Now talking to a VW dealer about the 2013 Jetta TDI and Golf TDI, and a Honda dealer about the 2013 Accord (LX, Sport, or EX). The USAA car buying service is pretty sweet. Seem to get better pricing than the costco service. Seems to be the same as my L-3 communications corporate perks discount.

16. BeauCharles

BeauCharles Member

Forgot about the Jetta. The gas engine models are reasonably priced and handle very well. Interior plastics aren't as nice as the previous gen, but its all well put together. A TDI is about 23K to start though - can your buying service get it into your budget?

17. gorb

gorb Senior member

It's a little over budget but I think the TDI would be worth it :) A 2 door golf with the normal engine and convenience package would be under budget though :)

Also getting excellent offers on the accord.

18. vi edit

Super Moderator

As a VW appologist, even I can not recommend you a TDI if "reliability" is a concern. They just have more crap to break over a normal gasser engine. They do get decent milage but the gap is narrowing with the recent crop of midsize cars getting 35-38MPG (Camry, Accord, Sonata, Altima).

Plus I don't know what diesel prices are in your area, but right now they are almost $.75 a gallon more in mine. You are almost losing money with a TDI.

19. Franz316

Franz316 Senior member

The 20k compact car market is really saturated right now with some really good cars. It is amazing how far that segment has come in the last 5 years.

Just off the top of my head: Cruze, Mazda3(I drive one), Focus, Sentra, Elantra, Civic, Corolla, Fit, Prius C, and Jetta. I may have missed a few but that should cover most of them. They all have their strong points and weak ones so you'll have to find what you like.

20. gorb

gorb Senior member

Pricing (does not include TTL):
    Accord LX $21,167
    Accord Sport $22,726.72
    2dr Golf DSG w/conv pkg
    $20,139
    2dr Golf TDI DSG $24,824
    Jetta TDI DSG $23,674

21. vi edit

Super Moderator

If you do look at a Jetta and a Golf...look at the Jetta first. Then the Golf. The interior in the Golf is so much nicer than the Jetta. It's so bizzare how VW did that. If you sit in the Golf first then go to the Jetta you'll be more turned off about the cheapness of everything in it.

One thing about the Jetta is that it has a backseat that makes some midsize cars envious. It's a ROOMY car.

22. gorb

gorb Senior member

Well, the Golf does cost a bit more than the Jetta, and everything I've read leads me to believe it's a more upmarket vehicle :) But if I do go check em out, I'll be sure to look at the Jetta first.

I did look at the mileage comparisons on fueleconomy.gov and the accord actually has a $100 lower annual cost for fuel when compared to the TDI. The regular engined golf is $150 over the TDI.

Thanks for the info :)

23. thedarkwolf

thedarkwolf Diamond Member

I just bought a 04 jetta wagon TDI so I'm a bit of a noob but from the reading I've done the Passat is the TDI to get. It uses adblue injected into the exhaust to clean things up instead of the funky NOx storage catalyst that the jetta and golf use and because of it the passat actually does better in real world mileage. Go play around in some of the TDI forums if you are serious about buying one.

24. vi edit

Super Moderator

Yes, the Passat is several MPG better than the Jetta/Golf due to the urea filtration. You do have to refil the fluid (I think it's in the trunk) every 10,000 miles or so.

25. T2urtle

T2urtle Diamond Member

i would buy another one, i mean what are the odds of another fire happening =P