Lost a disc...

SnipeMasterJ13

Golden Member
Oct 20, 2004
So I went to install one of my old Command and Conquer games yesterday, and I learned I lost one of the discs. I have both discs 1 and 2 for Generals, but lost disc 1 for C&C Zero Hour, which is the expansion pack. Is there anywhere I can get just the disc 1 ISO?

I have the case with install key, as well as disc 2 to complete the install, but I'm stuck without the first disc it seems. I know it's an older game so picking up a used copy would be cheap, but I'd like to avoid that if at all possible.

Thoughts/suggestions?? :)

You should contact the manufacturer for support, there is not a legit way to download this content, PC Gaming and Security Moderator Oakenfold

Cheex

Diamond Member
Jul 18, 2006
If you have your own key and you download a disc ISO from "wherever you can get one"...you're fine.
You DID purchase it and you WILL be using your OWN key and not some bogus or even a crack.

You're not pirating!!

Download the ISO, burn it and happy gaming!!!

CrazyLazy

Platinum Member
Jun 21, 2008
If you purchased it legitimately the first time and have the cd key there is no legal or moral issue torrenting the ISO you need.

SnipeMasterJ13

Golden Member
Oct 20, 2004
Yeah, that's what I figured. Thing is, I don't actually torrent (surprising, I know) so I don't know where to start, or what's the best one to use, etc. I've tried searching, and the only ones I could find are ISO's with cracks, and they don't look legit anyway (file size too small). I guess I'll continue my search tonight and see what happens. Thanks guys!

CrazyLazy

Platinum Member
Jun 21, 2008
Originally posted by: SnipeMasterJ13
Yeah, that's what I figured. Thing is, I don't actually torrent (surprising, I know) so I don't know where to start, or what's the best one to use, etc. I've tried searching, and the only ones I could find are ISO's with cracks, and they don't look legit anyway (file size too small). I guess I'll continue my search tonight and see what happens. Thanks guys!

Download uTorrent and read this,

http://thepiratebay.org/help

Ignore what they say about downloading azerues, you already have utorrent so you don't need that. Find a heavily seeded and commented torrent of the ISO you want and download that.

Cogman

Lifer
Sep 19, 2000
Um, Not to be a downer, but if you did own the disk, that doesn't all the sudden make torrent legal. I wouldn't feel so bad about it, but it is still illegal. The problem is that while torrenting you are sharing the CD with other people who may not own the CD. That is copyright infringement.

But, like I said, I wouldn't feel too bad about it.

LeetViet

Platinum Member
Mar 6, 2003
Originally posted by: Cogman
Um, Not to be a downer, but if you did own the disk, that doesn't all the sudden make torrent legal. I wouldn't feel so bad about it, but it is still illegal. The problem is that while torrenting you are sharing the CD with other people who may not own the CD. That is copyright infringement.

That is assuming he chooses to share/seed.

Dec 8, 2008

I'm sure everyone downloading from him is also replacing a lost cd.

lol

CrazyLazy

Platinum Member
Jun 21, 2008

Getting something via bittorrent protocol doesn't magically make it illegal. For all you know the other people downloading could be doing it for the same reason you are. If it ever went to court (which it wouldn't) you could prove that you had legally purchased the game initially making your download legal. Or you could just not seed.

Cogman

Lifer
Sep 19, 2000
Originally posted by: CrazyLazy

Getting something via bittorrent protocol doesn't magically make it illegal. For all you know the other people downloading could be doing it for the same reason you are. If it ever went to court (which it wouldn't) you could prove that you had legally purchased the game initially making your download legal. Or you could just not seed.

Please go read "http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Copyrights" and then come back and argue. You have no right to copy or distribute the material under most countries laws. The fact that you own it doesn't magically make you exempt from the copyright laws. Bittorrent (in general) requires that you share with other downloaders that which you have downloaded. That act of sharing/copying is illegal REGARDLESS if they legally own it.

Now, I am not saying he is going to jail, or that it is necessarily a bad thing for him to copy of a CD that he previously owned. I'm just saying that is how current laws are written, if you don't like that, complain to your congressman about the current state of copyright laws.

Rakewell

Platinum Member
Feb 2, 2005
What about Rapidshare sites? That's a good way of circumventing the upload/torrent issue.

Born2bwire

Diamond Member
Oct 28, 2005
Is the publisher still in business? I know Westwood is gone but didn't EA publish the later C&C games? I've always been able to get replacement discs (CDs and floppies) from the publisher or whomever. The only exception has been Baldur's Gate 2 because the company went under and ceased all support.

Grooveriding

Diamond Member
Dec 25, 2008
All the major usenet providers offer free trials, namely, the big giga**** one does :) Sign up for a free trial, download what you need off usenet, it's a direct download so you won't be sharing with anyone. You'll also get it as fast as your connection can deliver it.

Cheers

ObscureCaucasian

Diamond Member
Jul 23, 2006
Originally posted by: CrazyLazy

Please go read "http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Copyrights" and then come back and argue. You have no right to copy or distribute the material under most countries laws. The fact that you own it doesn't magically make you exempt from the copyright laws. Bittorrent (in general) requires that you share with other downloaders that which you have downloaded. That act of sharing/copying is illegal REGARDLESS if they legally own it.

Now, I am not saying he is going to jail, or that it is necessarily a bad thing for him to copy of a CD that he previously owned. I'm just saying that is how current laws are written, if you don't like that, complain to your congressman about the current state of copyright laws.

True it is illegal for him to distribute copyrighted material, but if he does not seed (set upload cap to 0 whatever) then he is no longer distributing anything.

We could argue this but in the end our interpretation doesn't matter much, and there doesn't seem to be a good interpretation yet otherwise we wouldn't have this mess.