Losing with Lucent

DonaldDuck82

Banned
Sep 14, 2000
I have lost thousands of dollars in the past few months with Lucent, does anyone know anything about what is happening? It seems like every analyst has something different to say. Anything would help thanks.

Eeks

Dec 8, 1999
Its prolly just due to the generall air exhausting from the Internet Bubble

Antisocial Virge

Diamond Member
Dec 13, 1999
So has everybody who works for them :) They will rebound. They have become a little large and have been slow getting stuff to market. They have been bleeding management to other companies also.

They are in the process of splitting off a few smaller companies so the stock might dip a little bit farther yet.

NFS4

No Lifer
Oct 9, 1999
My dad has worked for AT&T for the past 30 years (he was switched over to Lucent after the split). He gets stocks as a part of his salary and every quarter when those dividend checks roll in, he always hooks me up with some mondo $$$ :D He might not be so generous this quarter though...

Antisocial Virge

Diamond Member
Dec 13, 1999
Yea. A few long faces at work. I just started in the purchase plan so I'm getting good bang for my buck but old timers see $$ going in the toilet.

rahvin

Elite Member
Oct 10, 1999
Simple answer: The convergance of voice and IP has begun in full force and CSCO (and other router companies) have begun to eat some of the market share of LU in it's primary revenue sector (phone switches).

Antisocial Virge

Diamond Member
Dec 13, 1999
Funny thing is that Cisco routers have some Lucent tech in it. Wireless is going super strong though. In Columbus we have twice the wireless workforce that we had 6 months ago and we still can work 84 hr weeks.

Dave

Oct 11, 1999
Bought into LU 4-28-1997 @$12.50 (split adjusted price) ... It was as high as ~$80 in December 1999, now its ~$35 ... yikes! - LU has apparently been in a steady downward spiral since the departure of CEO Carly Fiorina (sp?) to HP. [HP has taken off since her arrival there] - LU also disappointed analysts with their failure to deliver on estimated earning levels; they just could not make and deliver big, new phone/data switches fast enough. No sales, no earnings, no love from investors.

My take is that the ~$35 share price is a great buying opportunity, if you don't plan to cash out in the very near future. I'm buying more myself. Of course, this is also probably also true about CSCO and NT. I will eventually work myself into owning some of each ... can't lose (over a long time horizon) if you bet on all the horses in the race!

The prior comment about the internet bubble bursting bringing LU down is probably correct. I mean, LU had a PE in the 150-200 range when it was in the $70-$80 range... now its about 43, still not indicative of a bargain, but definitely not out in lah-lah land.