Losing patience with this $%&*#@, "Help"

NoviceB

May 3, 2001
Help me out with this guys, heres the deal, i installed Win XP home on a Gigabyte GA-7dxr+ three days ago, everything went well.
i used the on board sound for two days untill today when i went out and buy a Sound Blaster Audigy. Next i went into BIOS
disabled onboard sound, installed Audigy in PCI slot 3, no boot, tryed again no boot just hangs after bios check.
So i took it out and put it in slot 4, booted, i installed drivers & software, rebooted, no post just hangs, tryed over ond over same thing
I tooked it out and tryed another PCI slot, same thing, i tryed all the pci slots. Now when i take the sound card out of the PC, it boots,
Put it back in, nothing would not boot.

Heres the other specs of the comp
Antec 300w power supply, model # pp-303xp
samsung dvd
Yamaha 24x10x40 (which i also bought today)
WD 80 gig HD
256 mb 2100 memory (samsung)

and there is only one other PCI card in the comp and thats a USR 56k modem

ohh, i forgot this part, if i put a different sound card in any pci slot it boots.

Please guys what is wrong here, i'm on this for the last 5 hours and its saturday night.
So help a guy that wants to go out to a party tonight. Thanks

Edit: I also forgot to mention that i did a reinstall of OS about an hour ago and when the installation went to reboot it hanged, i then took the sound card out hit the reset button and the installation continued.
After OS installation completed i put the sound card in, No $%#@ boot.

rmblam

Golden Member
Aug 24, 2000
Did you try updating your system bios? Are you using the latest drivers from Creative?

If so, then try forcing IRQ and resource settings in the bios to see if that gets it to boot. Had you uninstalled the previous sound drivers?

chasem

Banned
Dec 17, 2001
No idea,
Reminds me of a problem i had.

When the keyboard was plugged in, it wouldnt post
When the keyboard wasnt plugged in, it would come up and say, Keyboard not found, Press F1 continue.

no lie, i swear it happened.

RustyNale

Platinum Member
Apr 14, 2001
XP did have a problem with the Audigy, have you flashed your bios to the latest one? Have you checked on microsoft's site for any patches? Did you use the mobo jumpers to reset your bios settings? If you've covered these bases, sounds like a bad card to me :(

Ryan

Lifer
Oct 31, 2000

<< A brand new retail card in a sealed box could be faulty? >>

Yes it can - many computer parts that are in sealed boxes can be faulty.

RickH

Aug 5, 2000
If it works without the sound card and if it works with a different sound card--then the first card is bad. Does the card list any resources (IRQ etc)? If you tried every PCI slot, disable all unnessary IRQs (USB, serial and Par ports, on board junk) then it's the card.

Carrot44

Golden Member
Oct 9, 1999

<< The motherboard is brand new only a week old with the latest bios. >>

Alot if not all of the new MB's come with some kind of built in Audio you should go into bios and check and turn it off if its there.

Ken

Edit just saw what mb you have

And here is your problem if you have not allready turned it off in bios

CHIPSET
AMD 761? north bridge & VIA 686B south bridge
Creative CT-5880 sound chip & AC97 codec
Promise ATA133 w/ RAID chip
I know you disabled it but make sure that its all disabled.

NoviceB

May 3, 2001
Well i'm about to give windows 2000 a try at it, maybe its a problem with XP.
Any input would still be helpfull.