Lord of the Rings Online

Azeroth101

Dec 30, 2007
I've been in a kind of odd position, I have Guild Wars and play it, I used to play WoW, but I have heard quite a bit recently about LOTRO and was wondering how good it really is. Is it anything like LOTRTTA for gamecube?

miniMUNCH

Diamond Member
Nov 16, 2000
You can download the client and plat a free 10 day trial, i think. It's not bad at all... pretty fun. I played for a year and a half before walking away. My wife and I had our second son in May and so i quit...MMO take way too much time... It just wasn't right to spend all that time on a stupid video game.

ITPaladin

Golden Member
Dec 16, 2003
or get with people that have buddy keys that if you subscribe gives us a month of free game time :)

Azeroth101

Dec 30, 2007
Originally posted by: ITPaladin
or get with people that have buddy keys that if you subscribe gives us a month of free game time :)

Does anyone have a spare buddy key by chance?

Elcs

Diamond Member
Apr 27, 2002
Originally posted by: Azeroth101

Nevermind its terrible.

Not sure what game you are playing. LoTRO was fantastic and I enjoyed my 3 months playing totally. Going back soon on their freebie days.

datalink7

Lifer
Jan 23, 2001

Nevermind its terrible.

How can you tell? You couldn't have played it for more than 30 minutes.

thujone

Golden Member
Jun 15, 2003
if you enjoy pve content or anything LOTR lore related... you'll love it.

lupi

Lifer
Apr 8, 2001
Lol, post about getting an invite and 50 minutes later says the game sucks.

natebigdawg

Jul 21, 2008

Nevermind its terrible.

Just look at his name, "Azeroth101"

Apparently he is not ready for "LOTRO 4030"

QueBert

Lifer
Jan 6, 2002
Originally posted by: datalink7

Nevermind its terrible.

it took me 5 minutes of watching my EX play it to know it was terrible. She went on to play thousands of hours. Still plays, just not 4 hours a day every day like she use to. People tell me it's a good MMO. I don't see how that's possible.

Joemonkey

Diamond Member
Mar 3, 2001
downloaded and tried the free trial, got a lore keeper up to lvl 6 or 7, probably won't play it again :( just more of the same

Eluros

Jul 7, 2008
Disclaimer: I have a lifetime to LOTRO and am somewhat of a fanboi.

Originally posted by: Joemonkey
downloaded and tried the free trial, got a lore keeper up to lvl 6 or 7, probably won't play it again :( just more of the same

Ironically, there is no class called "Lore keeper". There's a Runekeeper and a Loremaster. The fact that you didn't even remember the name of the class implies you probably didn't give it a fair shot. Which is fine-- you should only play games you enjoy. Just sounds a bit silly to post about it in a forum if you can't even remember the name of the class you play.

Originally posted by: QueBert
Originally posted by: datalink7

Nevermind its terrible.

it took me 5 minutes of watching my EX play it to know it was terrible. She went on to play thousands of hours. Still plays, just not 4 hours a day every day like she use to. People tell me it's a good MMO. I don't see how that's possible.

Again, if you can take a game that someone you presumably loved had invested thousands of hours in and wrote it off after watching (not even playing) for 5 minutes... I don't know, just doesn't sound like good criticism to me.

But, maybe I'm just crazy. Am I human? Or am I dancers?

brblx

Diamond Member
Mar 23, 2009
no, you're just talking to people who have no interest in a certain kind of MMO. i won't say what that is, because people will whine that i'm making unfair comparisons.

Joemonkey

Diamond Member
Mar 3, 2001
Originally posted by: Eluros

Ironically, there is no class called "Lore keeper". There's a Runekeeper and a Loremaster. The fact that you didn't even remember the name of the class implies you probably didn't give it a fair shot. Which is fine-- you should only play games you enjoy. Just sounds a bit silly to post about it in a forum if you can't even remember the name of the class you play.

my bad dude, no need to get all internet butt hurt about it, it was a Loremaster, a pet class w/ some good offense magic, one of my favorite to play (was a necro in EQ and warlock in WOW)

Everything was just brownish looking like EQ2 and Warhammer, was the same ol' level grind. I'm sure it's a totally different ballgame running instances with friends and such, but does it really offer anything that other existing MMORPGs don't have other than the LotR lore?

Malladine

Diamond Member
Mar 31, 2003
imo Joe it does, but only as far as today's MMOs go. In other words if you enjoy MMOs it's different enough, but if you don't, you're gonna think it's more of the same, cause in a general way it is! :beer:

The differences that keep me playing are:
I can craft gear that other players actually want
My character receives titles/attributes/deeds/traits that follow my own style of play. Carrot on a stick i know, but w/e, it's keeping me entertained.

To be honest though without the crafting system i probably wouldn't be playing.

pwnd

Aug 3, 2009
Does a buddy key give more than a 10 day free trial? If so can someone provide me with one ;)

Coldkilla

Diamond Member
Oct 7, 2004
I just got it 7 days ago. Bought it on the second day simply because I couldn't the mailbox :)

My second MMO, I hate RPGs... I love this game.

ITPaladin

Golden Member
Dec 16, 2003
Originally posted by: Eluros

my bad dude, no need to get all internet butt hurt about it, it was a Loremaster, a pet class w/ some good offense magic, one of my favorite to play (was a necro in EQ and warlock in WOW)

Everything was just brownish (realistic colors) looking like EQ2 and Warhammer, was the same ol' level grind. I'm sure it's a totally different ballgame running instances with friends and such, but does it really offer anything that other existing MMORPGs don't have other than the LotR lore?

Fishing, gaining trophies for various things including fishing, playing musical instruments (including via ABC notation for you music people), legendary items/weapons that level
with you, traits/etc...

Five minutes of WATCHING is never enough. I give MMOs at least a month of play. I just can't afford EQ I/II, LOTRO, and 1-3 Eve accounts at once.

Another thing: EQ II NEVER looks "brownish".

Feldenak

Lifer
Jan 31, 2003
I've been playing since closed beta and have a lifetime account. If you're on Brandywine, feel free to look me up and I'll see what I can do to help you out.

The characters you can usually find me on:
Feldenak L60 Hunter (main)
Saelen L60 Loremaster
Berioreth L39 Warden

I have others, but right now those are my 2 primary alts.

Edit: Make sure you let me know you're from AT :)

Joemonkey

Diamond Member
Mar 3, 2001
started a dwarf hunter on brandywine, wargali

was REALLY pissed off that there was a queue to join the server tonight... seriously?

lupi

Lifer
Apr 8, 2001

was REALLY pissed off that there was a queue to join the server tonight... seriously?

cause it's a wow patch day.

;)

Joemonkey

Diamond Member
Mar 3, 2001
Originally posted by: lupi

cause it's a wow patch day.

;)

rofl, seriously?

even after the queue was done i got a

Connection Failed:
Server Full

message. i can't believe server queues even exist...