Looks like we'll be in Iraq for quite some time,...

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

BoberFett

Lifer
Oct 9, 1999
Originally posted by: Sinsear
Originally posted by: bamacre

This isn't "spreading democracy in the ME," this is 100% imperialism.

Yes, because ruling the world is our goal. :roll:

Who said anything about the world? Just the parts with oil, moron. Damn, you anti-Paulbots are stupid.

Arkaign

Lifer
Oct 27, 2006
Originally posted by: Sinsear

Yes, because ruling the world is our goal. :roll:

If you doubt the will to power, you're a fool. Politicians, societies, groups, they all share but a single purpose, to accumulate and exercise as much power, wealth, and influence as possible.

This simple truth explains why we invade a country like Iraq, fully knowing that they didn't have WMD, were zero credible threat, and had nary a blip in terms of terrorist ties, all the while ignoring something like the Sudan, a known AQ playground, complete with widespread genocide. But, alas, a problem : the Sudan has little power, no valuable infrastructure to destroy/rebuild, and little chance for an indefinite and hugely profitable occupation.

ericlp

Diamond Member
Dec 24, 2000
http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/12319798/

Hey man grow a brain....

Last time I checked there is still a lot of oil under that sand!

Looks like we'll be in Iraq for quite some time,... as in until we pump that last drop of oil out of that sand....

Arkaign

Lifer
Oct 27, 2006
Originally posted by: ericlp

Hey man grow a brain....

Last time I checked there is still a lot of oil under that sand!

Looks like we'll be in Iraq for quite some time,... as in until we pump that last drop of oil out of that sand....

I subscribe to the Palast philosophy (backed up by considerable documented testimony and hard evidence) that our current agenda actually involves the artificial LOWERING of Iraqi oil production/exports for the sole purpose of inflating oil prices, thus increasing the value and cost of each and every barrel of oil. Think of the profits on $20/barrel oil vs. $100+/barrel oil. @ $20/barrel, let's just put an arbitrary cost (research/drilling/manpower/transport/machinery/etc/etc) at $15/barrel. So, each barrel brings $5 profit to (insert oil company here). Now, if those costs remain somewhat constant, and you can sell the same barrel for $100, you make $85/barrel instead of $5/barrel. This is some absolutely mind-blowing profiteering, and it's no mystery why we're seeing 1/2 billion dollar bonuses for executives.

NoStateofMind

Diamond Member
Oct 14, 2005

I wouldn't even call this an embassy. How in the hell can Iraq ever be sovereign with this massive compound sitting inside their border? How can the Iraqi's perceive themselves as "free" when we will occupy their land forever? Looks like McCain's desire for us to be in Iraq for "100 years," is actually too short.

Even those on the Left, i.e., Hillary and Obama talk about "troop removal" and "leaving Iraq," are being totally dishonest in our long-term and never-ending occupation of Iraq.

"spreading democracy" is code words for "We will bomb your shit, kill your people, steal your wealth and suck up all your oil".

But hey, maybe this "little city" the size of the Vatican is a secret plan by bush to build housing and an infrastructure for the Iraqis? :roll:

Noobtastic

Banned
Jul 9, 2005
This is pretty old news.

I've been stating this time and time again in response to those who shout, "Pull out of Iraq."

As much as I support a withdrawal, it's just not feasibly possible at this point in time. *sigh*

Craig234

Lifer
May 1, 2006
Do you ever wonder whether some of the failures are not really failures, e.g., imagine if the powers that be wanted simply an indefinite US military foothold/presence in the Middle East, and knew they'd have it with the Iraq war's situation of a nation of always-battling groups needing security - in fact, I've read the reason England created Iraq the way it did was precisely to use the strong animosity between the factions to make them easier to rule, throwing together enemies into the 'nation' of Iraq.

If you go along with this sort of thinking, it raises questions how able the government is to pursue such an agenda with false stories about 'wanting' democracy for the middle east, knowing how it'll go badly, but really getting what they're after, the ongoing troop presence - and really, a war here on the democratic idea that the government should be up fron with the US voters about its agenda for it to be debated, rather than manipulating the political debate so that there agenda is not revealed.

It all falls under the topic of whether the government should 'do what it thinks best and hide it from the public who will make the wrong choice', but that horse left the bard long ago.

The US public's opposition to entering WWII against Hitler wasn't our proudest moment in our democracy, was it, as the president secretly pursued an agenda of getting into the war.

With just a little selective memory - we remember our nation passionately entering the war a lot more than the previous anti-war period - the story sounds pretty nice.

magomago

Lifer
Sep 28, 2002
Originally posted by: Arkaign
Originally posted by: Nemesis 1
When exactly was it that the rules of war changed. Up until 1967 if 2 nations went to war. The winning nation kept control of won territory until they lost it in another war. Its seems this all changed with the war in 1967. Time to go back to traditional war. Were victory gets the spoils.

Doesn't matter. Even if we declared Iraq the 51st state, the population of that country will go on chopping each other's heads off for as long as they can get away with it (read : absent a severely authoritarian dictator a la Saddam).

=-=

Because before Saddam - no one in Iraq was ever at peace. They were fighting 24/7 all the way back througn 800B.C. Why do they have violence? I have no idea! Why can't they be like us - PEACe loving people who NEVER kill each other for stupid reasons and don't believe that violence can settle disputes

Nemesis 1 - It will be funny to watch the day someone knocks over your house - kills a few of your family members and then says "I'm stronger so I keep it!"

Originally posted by: maxster
Originally posted by: Nemesis 1
When exactly was it that the rules of war changed. Up until 1967 if 2 nations went to war. The winning nation kept control of won territory until they lost it in another war. Its seems this all changed with the war in 1967. Time to go back to traditional war. Were victory gets the spoils.

:beer:

Although this only usually work if you're willing to kill roughly 25% of the native population. This is how they did it in the old days. Raze and burn the whole city down.

Times have changed my friend. A good example is that women are allowed to vote now too. I don't think anyone would say that women suffrage is a bad thing.

:beer: for the past that's come and gone.

And thank GOD they have changed...because its un necessary death. Ironic how we pride ourselves on being free in America and our "great" system when those within the system argue that we need to deny these same rights to non Americans and subdue them with indiscriminate slaughter in order to take their land and resources...

a :beer: to the fact that the past is gone, and hopefully will stay gone.
I hope people can be vigilant about protecting FREEDOM...and the most dangerous enemy is not that who actively seeks to steal freedom, as those who hippo critically extol freedom's message while denying it to many.

Ozoned

Diamond Member
Mar 22, 2004
I hope they had the foresight to build it on high ground. Be a shame if it is destroyed in the flood that has been predicted.

palehorse

Lifer
Dec 21, 2005
OK, raise your hand if this surprises you... Anyone who has read any of my posts on the subject shouldnt be surprised in the least.

I've even tried to bet the naysayers, but no takers.

magomago

Lifer
Sep 28, 2002
Originally posted by: palehorse74
OK, raise your hand if this surprises you... Anyone who has read any of my posts on the subject shouldnt be surprised in the least.

so you basically make it sound like that no matter how much we don't want it there (even on this forum the ppl against military bases far exceed those who are actively for it), its going to happen anyways.

democracy in action?

i'm not saying you are espousing that view...I'm just trying to figure out why our opinions would not matter to the govt in this case. Does it really mean it doesn't matter who we elect, our future is already sealed?

palehorse

Lifer
Dec 21, 2005
Originally posted by: magomago

so you basically make it sound like that no matter how much we don't want it there (even on this forum the ppl against military bases far exceed those who are actively for it), its going to happen anyways.

democracy in action?

i'm not saying you are espousing that view...I'm just trying to figure out why our opinions would not matter to the govt in this case. Does it really mean it doesn't matter who we elect, our future is already sealed?
To a certain extent, yes.

And, for the record, I wish that weren't the case... but reality's just a motherfvcker!

Lemon law

Lifer
Nov 6, 2005
The point being, palehorse74, given the way Iraq and Afghanistan occupations are being mis-managed, you may well be right and we will be there forever continuing to make no progress IF NOTHING CHANGES.

Your total delusion is that America voting public will tolerate that situation OF NO CHANGE. The US military is skating on very thin ice as it is, and you don't have very many years left to show dramatic results. Hopefully smarter leaders will find ways to create political progress, and failing those smarts, you and your cronies are going to be called home over your own protests.

You can blame me as the messenger if it makes you feel any better, but I am only one vote.

Right now the US military is not showing enough smarts to out strip a bunch of imbeciles.

Idiots like GWB&co don't come along every day. And they quickly wear out their welcome.

Ozoned

Diamond Member
Mar 22, 2004

I can't find anything that you have ever posted about building a little embassy in Iraq.