Looks like we may take on the whole middle east...

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

apoppin

Lifer
Mar 9, 2000
alienbabeltech.com
Originally posted by: Marshallj
I think that even if America did not use its military force around the world, countries would still hate us due to our economic success.
So . . . we should pursue the policy of invading sovereign nations without UN approval - in a "preemptive strike" (kind of like the Japanese did at Pearl Harbor) - and just NOT CARE what the rest of the world thinks?
rolleye.gif

I think they will now UNITE in their hatred of US. ;)

Marshallj

Platinum Member
Mar 26, 2003
Originally posted by: apoppin
So . . . we should pursue the policy of invading sovereign nations without UN approval - in a "preemptive strike" (kind of like the Japanese did at Pearl Harbor) - and just NOT CARE what the rest of the world thinks?
rolleye.gif

I think they will now UNITE in their hatred of US. ;)[/quote]

I think that every country looks out for its own best interests.

The US may find that the best option is to do a pre-emptive strike against an enemy because it would be in our best interest.

Of course other nations will be against it, most likely because such a strike will not be in THEIR best interests.

But if such a strike did benefit them, they probably wouldn't be against it. Just look at Kuwait and Saudi Arabia... sure, they "officially" claim they want peace, but you know they want their aggressive neighbor brought down. Hence the permission to use their air bases. In addition, the USA is their single largest customer. I'm sure they don't earn such large amounts of money from Iraq. It is in their best interest to help us. And they are.

If you notice, I am not one of those people claiming that the US is striving to do all that is "right" in the world while these evil countries do all that is "wrong". I am simply claiming that everyone, regardless of who they are, acts in their OWN best interest.

apoppin

Lifer
Mar 9, 2000
alienbabeltech.com
Originally posted by: apoppin
rolleye.gif

I think they will now UNITE in their hatred of US. ;)

If you notice, I am not one of those people claiming that the US is striving to do all that is "right" in the world while these evil countries do all that is "wrong". I am simply claiming that everyone, regardless of who they are, acts in their OWN best interest.[/quote]
I agree. Perhaps we should change our views and consider making the UN really workable. ;)

BarneyFife

Diamond Member
Aug 12, 2001
I think that even if America did not use its military force around the world, countries would still hate us due to our economic success.

Strongly disagree. I traveled to foreign countries and most people are happy with what they have. They hate the US because of meddling that has gone in their country whether it be overthrowing a government, setting up a puppet government, and the arrogance. Lets face it, we are a slave to money and there is more life then just money.

Marshallj

Platinum Member
Mar 26, 2003
Originally posted by: Phokus

You're an idiot, if we didn't violate the sovereignty of other countries all the damn time, other countries wouldn't have an excuse to hate us. You think everyone would start hating switzerland if they became the richest country in the world tomorrow?

If you start a reply with a personal insult, you can't expect me to take you seriously, Phukass. Instead I will reply with the same.

Next time talk to me with respect and I'll reply in kind.

Marshallj

Platinum Member
Mar 26, 2003
Originally posted by: BarneyFife

Strongly disagree. I traveled to foreign countries and most people are happy with what they have. They hate the US because of meddling that has gone in their country whether it be overthrowing a government, setting up a puppet government, and the arrogance. Lets face it, we are a slave to money and there is more life then just money.

I think if the US didn't meddle with other countries, our oil prices would be higher. If we had to pay what people in Europe have to pay, the citizens of the US would be damanding a war.

apoppin

Lifer
Mar 9, 2000
alienbabeltech.com

I think if the US didn't meddle with other countries, our oil prices would be higher. If we had to pay what people in Europe have to pay, the citizens of the US would be damanding a war.
If we paid more, alternate energy would be competitive pricewise and our dependence on oil would lessen as people migrate to other solutions. The ME would lose its importance.

BarneyFife

Diamond Member
Aug 12, 2001

So meddling with Yugoslavia had what to do with oil prices? Do you know why oil prices are higher in Europe? Because 75% of it is taxes. Europeans pay the same amount of me we do for oil.

Marshallj

Platinum Member
Mar 26, 2003

So meddling with Yugoslavia had what to do with oil prices? Do you know why oil prices are higher in Europe? Because 75% of it is taxes. Europeans pay the same amount of me we do for oil.

No, Yugoslavia had nothing to do with oil. But rest assured that we had some other alterior motive. I just don't know what it is.

BarneyFife

Diamond Member
Aug 12, 2001

No, Yugoslavia had nothing to do with oil. But rest assured that we had some other alterior motive. I just don't know what it is.

That is the problem everyone has with the US. Who do you mean by "we had some other alterior motive"? I certainly didn't have any motive. Maybe the corporations who run this country did? We certainly looked really stupid when we found out that Kosovo was/and currently is a terrorist state. Milosevic was fighting a war and people were dying like they do in all war. All those mass graves were a big exaggeration as none were found. So we fought a war to protect Osama and his Albanian terrorists.

Fencer128

Platinum Member
Jun 18, 2001
Have you noticed it is only the bad guys that hate the police. They are bad guys because they violated the law and now are being apprehended and procecuted they hate that too but it is the police..... the tangible entity that they can attack not the intangible law.

So, therefore, what is needed is a world court that has jurisdiction over this planet and the space around it populated by the worlds best minds with the authority of "court of final decision" with the power to enforce its decisions (by a force yet know). We'll call it the Court of the United Nations. Laws will be propounded by any nation, considered and denied or affirmed which then become "The Law" we'll call them draft and final resolutions for short. Each nation will be soveriegn regards each other with the ability to control its borders, commerce etc. under "The Law". No nation my violate the soverienty of another nation for any reason. Each nation may exploit what ever resourses it may posess to its own benifit with out fear of reprisal. And we'd add a bill of rights to it and like the jist of the magna charta (I like that document--- John didn't but then it was 1215) we'll disenable the crown from unjust tax etc.. what do you think... will we eliminate hatred toward the US if the rest of the world is on our side against the bad guy?

I think you're moving away from my points, but in repsonse to yours - it seems as what you're saying (I think) is basically "people hate America because we are America"? That "only the bad guys hate the police". In your analogy you appear to label the US as the police - but I think that is a mistake, as IMHO the UN members contribute to the police (many military forces apart from the large US contingent) and are only considered "police" in your analogy if they have UN backing IMHO.

I have to strongly disagree with you if that is your arguement - further I would say that it is that kind of thinking thats helping to propagate anti-US sentiment and to make the US a bigger bullseye for terrorist groups worldwide. There are other factors which make the blood of others boil with respect to the US (coming back to my original point) namely the situation in Israel/Palestine and the wielding of the US's economic power in a way that leads to free trade for the US but at the expense of the economy of others - double standards.

I apologise if I've got your arguement all wrong - but I'm finding the analogies a little hard to follow.

Cheers,

Andy