Looks like the TPP might be back

ivwshane

Lifer
May 15, 2000
Pretty stupid mice by our current president. Now we don't get to exert our influence on the region and will now have a more united front.

Jhhnn

IN MEMORIAM
Nov 11, 1999
Meanwhile Trump has reinforced our relationship with China who he vilified throughout the campaign. Go figure.

tweaker2

Lifer
Aug 5, 2000
Meanwhile Trump has reinforced our relationship with China who he vilified throughout the campaign. Go figure.

Meanwhile as is the norm it's in one ear and out the other for his supporters. I am supremely impressed yet aghast at how forgiving and accommodating they can be toward Trump and those detestable malevolent habits of his yet as hateful and mean spirited toward any and all that cast the slightest hint of factual legitimate criticisms Trump's way.

In this regard Trump's base is in so many ways similar to a hive of African Bees in habit and demeanor.

K1052

Elite Member
Aug 21, 2003
The world will realign itself around US obstinance, that's not in doubt by anybody except out sentient yam President and his supporters who couldn't find 95% of these places on a map.

The loss of US political and economic power after only a few years of this guy is going to be something.

ivwshane

Lifer
May 15, 2000
The world will realign itself around US obstinance, that's not in doubt by anybody except out sentient yam President and his supporters who couldn't find 95% of these places on a map.

The loss of US political and economic power after only a few years of this guy is going to be something.

And the same guys who were complaining that Obama made us weaker will either be silent or will defend this. Right taj, brandonbull?

sonoma1993

Diamond Member
May 31, 2004

They probably threaten to do somethen to whatever businesses him and his family has in China.

tweaker2

Lifer
Aug 5, 2000
And this has happened not because Trump thinks its what the people of the nation wants.

It's all about him. It's what he wants.

Frightening isn't it?

Reactions: ch33zw1z

Jhhnn

IN MEMORIAM
Nov 11, 1999
Meanwhile as is the norm it's in one ear and out the other for his supporters. I am supremely impressed yet aghast at how forgiving and accommodating they can be toward Trump and those detestable malevolent habits of his yet as hateful and mean spirited toward any and all that cast the slightest hint of factual legitimate criticisms Trump's way.

In this regard Trump's base is in so many ways similar to a hive of African Bees in habit and demeanor.

They were a cult in search of a leader when Trump took the job. The sheer audacity of it bowled them over.

Reactions: tweaker2

urvile

Golden Member
Aug 3, 2017
I was listening to a discussion on the radio about the TPP and they were hitting on some of the salient points. IIRC the reason it couldn't get passed US congress was mainly due to the length of time that pharmaceutical patents expire. I think US big pharma wanted 12 years and everyone else wanted eight and neither side was going to budge. The patents stop legit production of generic (lots cheaper) medication locally. I guess the thinking is that if the US government wants to screw their own citizens that's fine but don't try and export it. Without the US this provision has been suspended.

Now there are some extremist leftys who claim that the TPP is a form of corporate governance. Which you know seems a bit extreme but it's interesting that the TPP allows for corporations to sue governments if they make policy changes that effect corporations businesses. Which essentially puts them on a par with government.

EDIT: I should point out I am completely going off memory with those figure. I haven't read about the TPP in quite a while. If they are incorrect mea culpa.

Last edited:

cytg111

Lifer
Mar 17, 2008
An argument could be made that this is sanctions. Sanctions on the US implemented by the president. Sock puppet much? :)

cytg111

Lifer
Mar 17, 2008
who me? I am not an article of clothing. I am a freeborn man of the federated states and territories of australia. I think.
I am tempted to go into a moonbeam monolog about karama and positioning of the stars and a probable traumatic experience you might have had as a kid with a sock... But I will refrain from that(like trump would never call someone "short and fat";)) and just say no, sock puppet was directed at the POTUS and is a reference to a specifc bout between him and hillary last year.

Billb2

Diamond Member
Mar 25, 2005
Trump can't see beyond his next twitter post. When it comes to world politics he's in way over his head.

K1052

Elite Member
Aug 21, 2003
US AG exporters up to take it in the shorts from the new non-US TPP:

https://www.cnbc.com/2017/11/13/new-tpp-deal-to-hurt-us-farmers-smes.html

If NAFTA goes those all those trump voters from agricultural areas are gonna be screwed hard.

Incidentally Mexico is updating it's free trade agreement with the EU, expecting to be done be end of year. The EU is also finally closing in on sealing a free trade deal with the Mercosur bloc of South American nations in addition to recently concluding a deal with Canada.

Reactions: cytg111

K1052

Elite Member
Aug 21, 2003
Trump approach already leaving the US at a disadvantage. Can you taste the MAGA yet?

When Americans think about lobster, Maine often comes to mind. But Nova Scotia has emerged as a fierce competitor in exporting lobsters, particularly to Europe. Last year, American lobstermen sold only slightly more to Europe than their Canadian counterparts.

That balance could soon shift given the Canadian-European trade pact, which eliminated an 8 percent European tariff on live lobster when it went into effect in September. Tariffs on frozen and processed Canadian lobster will be phased out in the next three to five years as part of the agreement.

The elimination of European tariffs is “the single most challenging issue” for the American lobster industry, said Annie Tselikis, the executive director of the Maine Lobster Dealers’ Association, which represents companies that buy lobster from Maine fishermen. “This trade agreement does give Canada a huge leg up in the European marketplace,” she said.

Ms. Tselikis said the pact was encouraging American companies to invest in new facilities in Canada to qualify for the lower European tariff.

“If the argument is you’re not going to develop this trade policy because you’re worried about outsourcing jobs — well, here we are, potentially outsourcing jobs due to an absence of trade policy,” she said.

https://www.nytimes.com/2017/11/12/business/trump-trade-lobster-canada.html?smid=tw-share

urvile

Golden Member
Aug 3, 2017
I am tempted to go into a moonbeam monolog about karama and positioning of the stars and a probable traumatic experience you might have had as a kid with a sock... But I will refrain from that(like trump would never call someone "short and fat";)) and just say no, sock puppet was directed at the POTUS and is a reference to a specifc bout between him and hillary last year.

Oh. I see. I never had anything but good experiences with a sock when I was a kid. :)

urvile

Golden Member
Aug 3, 2017
IIRC - TPP had a lot of flack online for supposely having anti-piracy stuff that essentially secretly screws and tramples over our rights. Most things were kept under wraps, so I don't know the end result there.

Here is a quick link from TorrentFreak: https://www.google.de/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&source=web&cd=2&cad=rja&uact=8&ved=0ahUKEwiTt677tbvXAhXLCuwKHfsDAa0QFggvMAE&url=https://torrentfreak.com/leaked-tpp-draft-reveals-tough-anti-piracy-measures-141016/&usg=AOvVaw1tHwq-Lt8ML-RZpgxhkbPw

What's described in the torrentfreak link is basically a wish list from copyright holders. Australia said no because trying to make copyright infringement a criminal offence for example is ludicrous but then australian courts generally don't put up with that kind of shit anyway. The dallas buyers club (DBCP) people attempted to extort money out of people who had downloaded the film via torrents in aus a while ago. They got to the point where a judge gave them access to the personal information of the downloaders (based on ip).

But stipulated that the DBCP must show the court the letter they intended to send to people and it turned out to be speculative invoicing where they say you owe us thousands and if you don't pay us we are going to sue you. As previously mentioned we don't put up with that shit in australia so the judge told them what was reasonable compensation and then DBCP didn't even bother. At one point the copyright lobby floated the idea of banning VPNs. :)

One of the main problems with the TPP is the secrecy it was negotiated in but in my general experience the aus government (either party) can be trusted not to fuck it's own citizens in the arse to often. To put it bluntly......