Discussion Looks like System Shock 3 is effectively dead

GodisanAtheist

Diamond Member
Nov 16, 2006

- I'd be lying if I said I was really looking forward to this: the developer's only prior efforts had been some mobile game trash but I guess everyone has to start... and end... somewhere. The game is now in the hands of free-to-play trash giant TenCent

Personally, I feel like SS2 has reached such cult like status in the gaming community that any sequel would leave people let down. It was a great game and there were definitely some cool places to take the story at the end of SS2, but maybe its better if the series just put a lid on it and stayed in a museum.

Artorias

Platinum Member
Feb 8, 2014
PREY was basically a spiritually successor. Arkane would do a great job with the license if they go it.

Reactions: Igo69

Igo69

Apr 26, 2015
Well this is very sad news because i was really looking forward to this game. Maybe someone should do a remaster of SS2? One can only dream about.

DigDog

Lifer
Jun 3, 2011
i was disappointed by prey; i really liked the visuals, and i thought the story was truly frightening - the end is really shocking. But, the gameplay has a massive flaw in the respawn system. There is practically no downside to dying, or even taking damage, because of the infinite respawn, while the enemies, bosses included, remain at the same health as before your death.

GodisanAtheist

Diamond Member
Nov 16, 2006
Did a little more reading on other side entertainment, and it does look like they were a legit operation with Neurath and Spector trying to bring the Ultima Underworld and other Looking Glass/Blue Sky games back.

Unfortunately their developer accumen outstrips their business/manager accumen, looks like development of the game was poorly managed.

I always wondered why Spector's old Ion Storm studio never took a crack at SS3. While there were definite issues with the Thief and DX2 titles, both games were really quite fun in the end (victims of a lot of fanbase venom as well).

ArenCordial

Sep 18, 2012
i was disappointed by prey; i really liked the visuals, and i thought the story was truly frightening - the end is really shocking. But, the gameplay has a massive flaw in the respawn system. There is practically no downside to dying, or even taking damage, because of the infinite respawn, while the enemies, bosses included, remain at the same health as before your death.
I don't remember this all from Prey. You die and you have to reload. Are you thinking about Bioshock? I completely lost interesting in that game when I realized I could just zerg Big Daddy's with a wrench and had no penalty for doing so.

DigDog

Lifer
Jun 3, 2011
I don't remember this all from Prey. You die and you have to reload. Are you thinking about Bioshock? I completely lost interesting in that game when I realized I could just zerg Big Daddy's with a wrench and had no penalty for doing so.
In Prey (2006), you play an American-Indian, but not a bow-an-arrow american indian, but rather a leather jacket, motorcycle and alcohol american indian; you are hanging out at a bar in the reservation when it gets attacked by aliens who abduct you.

During gameplay, if you die, you are sent into the spirit world, where there are these transparent spirits floating around you. You shoot them (with a bow) and if you kill enough - which is trivially easy - you respawn at the same point of your death with full health. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Prey_(2006_video_game)#Gameplay
"Although Tommy dies when his health is depleted, he is resurrected after a brief period during which his spirit can increase the health the revived body will have. "

see here around 2:30 mark

[DHT]Osiris

Lifer
Dec 15, 2015
In Prey (2006), you play an American-Indian, but not a bow-an-arrow american indian, but rather a leather jacket, motorcycle and alcohol american indian; you are hanging out at a bar in the reservation when it gets attacked by aliens who abduct you.

During gameplay, if you die, you are sent into the spirit world, where there are these transparent spirits floating around you. You shoot them (with a bow) and if you kill enough - which is trivially easy - you respawn at the same point of your death with full health. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Prey_(2006_video_game)#Gameplay
"Although Tommy dies when his health is depleted, he is resurrected after a brief period during which his spirit can increase the health the revived body will have. "

see here around 2:30 mark
Wrong prey bruh, and nothing to do with SS. They're talking about this one:

Igo69

Apr 26, 2015
What confusion? These are totally different games and have nothing to do with each other