Looks like Bush has it.

Ferocious

Diamond Member
Feb 16, 2000
Gore looks to win popular vote in spite of Nader. This actually bothers me for two reasons. One is the obvious....electoral/popular vote fiasco. But the other is Gore might now consider running again in 2004 on this popular vote victory mandate (a considerable margin if you include Nader). NO! NO! I want Bob Kerrey to run not Gore!

I'm just glad if Bush had to win, it was this way. Along with the very slim margin of Republican control of congress AND the fact that a few decent Republicans are not anti-worker, this should make him an ineffective President regarding any attempts to push his radical anti-worker and anti-union agenda nationwide.

Whew!

StageLeft

No Lifer
Sep 29, 2000
Looks like he'll take florida, and thus the election - but he still will lose by popular vote. Pretty F**ked up if you ask me :)

NFS4

No Lifer
Oct 9, 1999
Who said that Bush has it? The networks are saying that we won't have results before 5PM. Are you psychic or something?

aUt0eXebat

Banned
Oct 9, 2000
I hope Bush wins... this electoral thing is kinda dumb, why dont they just go with the Popular vote?

StageLeft

No Lifer
Sep 29, 2000
I'm just reading the current vote tally on cnn "2,909,136 for Bush and 2,907,351 for Gore." so far...and Florida is the key-point here.

aUt0eXebat you say electoral is dumb and you want bush to win but Gore is leading the country by 200,000 + votes.

does anyone know how close it would be until a re-vote was called for florida?

Stallion

Diamond Member
May 4, 2000
It doesn't say what percentage though. Does anyone know how many more ballots need to be counted?

PCAddict

Diamond Member
Nov 19, 1999
Look like I am going to have to keep tabs on this from work. I was up most of the night watching the various news stations. I never thought I'd see an election like this. We are witnessing something historic, folks.

Stallion

Diamond Member
May 4, 2000
I'm getting a little antsy. I wish it would be over soon to be truthful. I wonder if the broadcast stations will think next time before they start shoting off at the mouth about who won and who got what state. At least I will be home in about 45 minutes so I can see it all unfold.

Things are going to get REAL nasty today. The fact that Hillary won NY is enough to put me in a depressed state for next decade so I could care less who wins the big office.

bigjon

Mar 24, 2000
dwell, add to that the buzz about her eventually running for president and we've got grounds for suicide!! LOL

MrBond

Diamond Member
Feb 5, 2000
Really cool stuff here. Never seen an election like this before (although I've only been around for 19yrs :)) I figured that Bush would get the popular vote, but lose in the electorial college....looks like I might be wrong.

Wait, wasn't Hillary already president for two terms? So she can't run again, right? :D

AndrewR

Lifer
Oct 9, 1999
New York may be sickeningly liberal enough to vote that she-b!tch into office, but the rest of the country is not that stupid. Also, she heavily courted the Jewish vote in NY, but that won't work on a nationwide scale. Add to that an even closer tie to Bill (as opposed to Gore who could distance himself), and I think the chances of President Hillary are exceptionally slim.

<< Gore looks to win popular vote in spite of Nader. This actually bothers me for two reasons. >>

The only reason Gore made it into office in the first place was Perot. What goes around, comes around. As for 2004, I doubt Gore will try again, but you never know. He's not the best candidate, and there's four years for another Democrat to emerge. Maybe Dick Gephardt will run. Heh -- four more years. ;)

Raspewtin

Diamond Member
Nov 16, 1999

<< I'm just glad if Bush had to win, it was this way >>

I agree. I couldn't think of a better result then Bush winning electoral and losing popular. It will make his attempts at &quot;less government&quot; even more amusing, and it will hurt his chances for re-election, and hopefully help the Democrats retake Congress, or at least half of it.

SKiller

Oct 10, 1999
Stallion, Nah, they'll forget all about it by the next election.

On the other hand, next time someone says &quot;my vote won't matter&quot; we can point them here.

fdiskboy

Golden Member
Sep 21, 2000
Actually an incumbent Bush would be much stronger in four years than a challenger Bush is now (assuming the economy doesn't go completely south).

People remember that Al Gore has Peace and Prosperity going for him and still is barely ekeing out a popular vote win. Why? Because he carried NJ, NY , MASS by huge margins and lost the important states by small margins.

Trust me on this one. We do not want to elect a President solely by Popular Vote. The Founders
designed our system this way for a reason, and it has worked well for quite some time. It's not time to throw it out the window.

bigbootydaddy

Banned
Sep 14, 2000
well all of you who down democrats cause of what clinton went thru i dont want a peep out of you if anything happens to bush..

if you think they have no clue what they are doing and they are such bad candidates, then YOU run for president next time