Looks like Borderlands 2 is official!

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Aug 11, 2008
the good loot is in the DLC--and Knoxx, more specifically. The giant vagina monster at the end of the regular game is worthless.

you've got to kill Crawmerax in PT2 for elite drops.

I played the regular game and all the expansions. I enjoyed the regular game more than the expansions for some reason. Maybe it was because they added a patch to let you add levels in the regular game, and my levelling was messed up because I didnt play the expansions till later.

Anyway, i got a lot of good loot in the regular game by farming New Haven and the secret area by the cliffs where the lazers and ants are. Dont remember the name of the place though. But I never seemed to get much in the expansions that was much of an upgrade.

Unfortunately, I was never able to kill Crawermax, so I missed that loot.

Borealis7

Platinum Member
Oct 19, 2006
waaaahhooooooo!!!!

can't say i'm surprised though, the first one was a huge success and there was no way they wouldnt make a second one.

zinfamous

No Lifer
Jul 12, 2006
I played the regular game and all the expansions. I enjoyed the regular game more than the expansions for some reason. Maybe it was because they added a patch to let you add levels in the regular game, and my levelling was messed up because I didnt play the expansions till later.

Anyway, i got a lot of good loot in the regular game by farming New Haven and the secret area by the cliffs where the lazers and ants are. Dont remember the name of the place though. But I never seemed to get much in the expansions that was much of an upgrade.

Unfortunately, I was never able to kill Crawermax, so I missed that loot.

Yeah, I have 350 hours into the game and I've never managed to kill him, by myself or in coop.

you guys need to log on when n7 is around (mod here). he's a mad Crawmerax slayer. He lets me tag along sometimes while I run around the background flailing and falling off the cliff.

but even so, you can get very good to excellent loot in Knoxx's armory with the fake floor glitch. limitless time to search the chests, as many times as you want--assuming you still have 1 of Marcus' 2 missions (after killing Knoxx in the main DLC mission).

that is where I found my only pearlescent.

Aug 11, 2008
you guys need to log on when n7 is around (mod here). he's a mad Crawmerax slayer. He lets me tag along sometimes while I run around the background flailing and falling off the cliff.

but even so, you can get very good to excellent loot in Knoxx's armory with the fake floor glitch. limitless time to search the chests, as many times as you want--assuming you still have 1 of Marcus' 2 missions (after killing Knoxx in the main DLC mission).

that is where I found my only pearlescent.

Interesting. At least I am not the only one that cant kill him.

However, I couldnt make the fake floor glitch work either. Could never find the right spot to go into. I was using a Steam Game of the Year edition. Did they remove the glitch somehow?? I know they nerfed the loot in New Haven with an update.

Firsttime

Platinum Member
Mar 31, 2005
I love Borderlands. Definitely getting a sequel. I hope they stick with the simple formula and continue to emphasize the coop gameplay.

Aikouka

Lifer
Nov 27, 2001
However, I couldnt make the fake floor glitch work either. Could never find the right spot to go into. I was using a Steam Game of the Year edition. Did they remove the glitch somehow?? I know they nerfed the loot in New Haven with an update.

No, the glitch is still there. You need to go through the door where you entered the password (BYCO), and as you pass through the hallway, you'll enter a room with the red force fields on the sides with lockers and such behind them. Go back to where that room and the original hallway meet. Crouch and walk across the lip in the floor where those two rooms meet, and you should fall through the floor.

ibex333

Diamond Member
Mar 26, 2005
Awesome!

Now.. If I can only get through half of the original Borderlands.. Not to mention it's multitude of expansions...

Firsttime

Platinum Member
Mar 31, 2005
The only teal gun I ever found was some shitty Burning Avenger, burst shot MG. I must have killed Craw 200+ times with groups of 3-4 people and rare gun class mods. Super lame. I think I may run through Blands again this week, I lost my save files in a reformat so I can't cheat and drop myself good guns from another account now.

ss284

Diamond Member
Oct 9, 1999
Am I the only one that thought the first game got boring halfway through? There was no real challenge at all, just loot whoring unbalanced guns.

zinfamous

No Lifer
Jul 12, 2006
Am I the only one that thought the first game got boring halfway through? There was no real challenge at all, just loot whoring unbalanced guns.

that would definitely happen if you over-leveled by doing every mission that you came across--and I think that's a legit complaint.

I hope they fix the balance and scaling issue--players really should not be expected to have to ignore half of the game through 2 playthroughs, save DLC for the end of that 2nd playthrough, to get to "the real game." (playthrough 2.5 + DLC)

that's insanity.

for me, if they fix this, and tweak the graphics (a bit more depth to the textures and environment. I love the art style, but I'm not sure if it's conducive to greater depth?), and keep most of the core game mechanics intact, then I'll be happy.

I'd like a more tangible plot, too. They spent enough time fleshing out characters with real, individual personality--it's hard to accept that the plot is so useless when character creation is much more difficult.

I t would help to introduce classes that are as fun as Siren, too. Currently, the game is basically Siren, and something else....

xXFaNtAsMaXx

Nov 26, 2004
awesome. I hope there is more of a story to this one. I thought production of the first was over-the-top--excellent character design, great voice, dialogue, and some unique, awesome characters (Knoxx is great. Just going through that mission and uncovering all of his recordings, then meeting the guy for the first time = lulz).

I hope it isn't MMO, though I don't think it would be a terrible thing.

You don't play very many games, do you? Borderlands was like someone made an MMOFPS, and then stripped the MMO part out of it. The storyline was just plain boring. I NEVER want to see "go kill 5 of this monster" quests in any game, let alone one that claims to have an actual plot.

Aikouka

Lifer
Nov 27, 2001
I just hope that Gearbox learned from the issues that plagued the first game. The biggest problem is that the DLCs just don't mesh well with the main game. One example is how they increased the level cap, but didn't touch the skill trees at all. Normally when you mess with a skill cap, you adjust trees (adding tiers typically) to make it so the new points aren't just thrown into random left-over skills that you didn't want in the first place. Imagine if Blizzard never added new talent tiers to WoW but you still had all those points to spend.

Another issue is how there are no teleporters for the DLC zones. In a sense, this artificially increases the DLC's play time by forcing you to walk around all the time. Fortunately, PC users were able to hack their way around this gross oversight, but it's still not a great solution.

One thing I'd like to see is better inclusion of the character into the story. The only dialog that is separate for each class is in the beginning at the character select screen. :p I think it'd be interesting if characters treated you differently depending on what you are.

You don't play very many games, do you? Borderlands was like someone made an MMOFPS, and then stripped the MMO part out of it. The storyline was just plain boring. I NEVER want to see "go kill 5 of this monster" quests in any game, let alone one that claims to have an actual plot.

The thing is... Borderlands is much more fun if you just accept that the story is kind of poor and have fun with the RPG aspect of it. If you enjoy games like Diablo where the prospect of getting loot and killing baddies is a big part of the game, then you'll enjoy Borderlands. Heck, I played Torchlight for 40+ hours and that game has just as bad of a story.

SlitheryDee

Lifer
Feb 2, 2005
Sweet. I love Borderlands

Even without the DLC I've got ~90 hours in the game. Getting the GOTY edition on a steam sale has resulted in the best money to fun ratio I've found thus far. I'll still probably wait for a sale to get the sequel. Maybe I'll have completed the DLC by then.

zinfamous

No Lifer
Jul 12, 2006

meh, those are just quests. I really don't care about an MMO-type story, which is always going to be useless and ancillary to the play.

My point was that if they needed to improve anything, Borderlands needed an actual ending. It didn't. It was serviceable to keep you going (because of the play) and the missions (if you do them) aren't exclusively go and fetch type quests. (unless you do Tanis' missions in the Claptrap DLC).

I like Borderlands just fine the way it is. I'm just throwing out areas to improve it

Zenoth

Diamond Member
Jan 29, 2005
Nice, I really liked Borderlands, and I have yet to finish the two last DLCs.

Bring me Borderlands 2 any time.

Firsttime

Platinum Member
Mar 31, 2005
Borderlands single player was shit. If you didn't play with at least 1, preferably 3, other people you weren't doing it right.

Aikouka

Lifer
Nov 27, 2001
I was looking around Amazon earlier and I found this little tidbit in a discussion thread:

http://xbox360.ign.com/articles/118/1186690p1.html

New Borderland 2 details have been revealed in US magazine Game Informer (revealed via Gematsu).

Like its predecessor, Borderlands 2 supports four-player co-op, but the protagonists from the first game will only appear as NPCs.

Furthermore, that squat, gruff looking chap we saw on the cover of Game Informer last week now has a name. He's called Salvador, the Gunzerker, and he's capable of wielding any weapon in the game.

Another change is inclusion of dynamic story missions, in which the story will shape to fit your success or failure.

A new element, Eridium, will also be present. It's not a weapon, but can be combined with guns and vehicles to improve their stats. And it's also used as a form of currency.

Enemies also promise to be more varied and more intelligent.

If you got attached to a particular weapon in the first game, it's time to say a tearful goodbye. Gearbox is scrapping all the weapons from the first game in favour of a new-look arsenal.

Borderlands 2 will be on display at Gamescom 2011 in Germany later this month from August 17 - August 21. IGN will be there, so we'll keep you informed.

EDIT:

I'll edit in my thoughts:

1) It looks like classes will be restricted to certain types of weapons now? Assuming this Gunzerker becomes a playable class, its benefit may be the ability to use all weapon types versus other classes that may be restricted.

2) Will some of the game-chosen item customization be going away in favor of player-based item customization? It seems almost like the socket systems you see in other RPGs.

3) Dynamic story missions seem interesting, but there's one interesting part in there... failure. We're able to fail missions now and not redo them?

Last edited:

VulgarDisplay

Diamond Member
Apr 3, 2009
I understand people really liked borderlands, but I myself found it to far to repetitive to be any fun. They really need to add some more variety to the missions in Borderlands 2 if they don't want the game to suck as bad as the original.

I feel like Gearbox is on the verge of becoming a truly great development studio, but they just haven't quite made it there yet.

sigurros81

Platinum Member
Nov 30, 2010
Borderlands was a great game. The one, and biggest issue that was holding the game back was the shitty matchmaking system. For a multiplayer cooperative game, it sure has the dumbest way for you to start playing with your friends.

BD231

Lifer
Feb 26, 2001
Borderlands was a great game. The one, and biggest issue that was holding the game back was the shitty matchmaking system. For a multiplayer cooperative game, it sure has the dumbest way for you to start playing with your friends.

How is a server list dumb? ... thought it was pretty typical if anything.

shortylickens

No Lifer
Jul 15, 2003
Figures. I just got into Borderlands, and it fucking sucks.
So glad I paid half price, less money pissed away.