Looks like Atari is trying to milk/reboot old franchises.

SunnyD

Belgian Waffler
Jan 2, 2001
www.neftastic.com
First Yars Revenge, now Star Raiders?

Gotta say, I spent a lot of time on Star Raiders, with the keypad thing, it was a fun game. I'm wondering if these reboots are even remotely faithful.

I wonder when Combat and Adventure are gonna be remade.

mrblotto

Golden Member
Jul 7, 2007
Man, I spent so much time playing Adventure way back when. Even found that wacky little 'dot' thing in the black castle maze and the 'hidden message beyond the border'.....all in the days before walkthrus and cheats lol

ImpulsE69

Lifer
Jan 8, 2010
Wow. I played Star Raiders on both the Atari 800 and 2600. I loved that game..can't even count the hours I played it lol..

ImpulsE69

Lifer
Jan 8, 2010
Man, I spent so much time playing Adventure way back when. Even found that wacky little 'dot' thing in the black castle maze and the 'hidden message beyond the border'.....all in the days before walkthrus and cheats lol

I'm assuming you already knew about that area prior to finding it, or I'm calling shenanigans :)

SunnyD

Belgian Waffler
Jan 2, 2001
www.neftastic.com

I loved the fact that you weren't "dead" when a dragon ate you. And you could sometimes glitch yourself out of a dead dragon's stomach and continue on your merry way.

KaOTiK

Lifer
Feb 5, 2001
I saw that pop up on Steam yesterday, it looks kinda cool, but no review or word of mouth anywhere I saw so far.

mrblotto

Golden Member
Jul 7, 2007
I'm assuming you already knew about that area prior to finding it, or I'm calling shenanigans :)

Nope. Didn't have a clue. I was just tooling around in the black castle, trying to find an easier/quicker way from one side to another. Just exploring every nook and cranny I could get into. All of the sudden I hear the 'picked up object' noise. I'm like 'wha?'. I get real close up to the TV and see this tiny little dot thing I could carry around. I'm like 'cool!'

Earlier (maybe later, I can't remember) I noticed that when you get a lot of objects in one screen, they would all start to 'blink'. So I got every object I could get my 'hands' on. Took me a while monkeying w/the magnet lol. Even lured the dragons into the same screen to kill them. Then just noticed the 'barrier' thingee was gone (or blinking, it's been so long I can't remember), so I went thru it and saw some dudes name (Rob something something).

Like I said, this was a long time ago (late 70's I think). I have it on an emulator. I should fire it up again just because lol.

Paladin

Oct 22, 2001
Adventure was the best, and yes that 'dot' thing was such a cool discovery when you were a kid! Probably the first easter egg that I can remember.
Getting eaten, then having the bat pickup the dragon and take you for a ride was pretty funny.

Oct 30, 2004
Star Raiders! I remember playing that long long ago. It was a good game. I also played Adventure but never found the black dot even though I had read about it in Atari gaming magazine. (I'm sure I looked for it but never found it.)

I'm also reminded of an Intellivisiion favorite, Space Spartans.

BoberFett

Lifer
Oct 9, 1999
I loved Star Raiders on the 2600. I knew someone who had a 5200 and it was more impressive graphically, but I stilled played it a ton on my little 2600. :)

I was so amazed at how advanced it was at the time, with the add-on button pad, I would warp around the galaxy blasting baddies for hours. :)

Edit: Looks worth at least checking out the demo on XBLA.

Last edited:

BladeVenom

Lifer
Jun 2, 2005
I loved Star Raiders when I was a kid.

After watching a gameplay video on youtube, I think I'll stick to the original if I ever want to play Star Raiders again.

coloumb

Diamond Member
Oct 9, 1999
Awesome - use to play Star Raiders [and quite a few other games] on an Atari 5200. "Most awesome console it was" for that time period in gaming.

Reminded me of the text based version of Star Trek [I use to spend umpteem zillion hours playing that one as well]

Loop2kil

Platinum Member
Mar 28, 2004

"Created by Warren Robinete" or something like that. WAAAAY too many hours I spent playing that game. If I ever catch that damn bat, he's dead!!!!