Looks like anandtech did the nexus 4 benchmarks again

Discussion in 'Mobile Devices & Gadgets' started by SAWYER, Nov 7, 2012.

1. VashHT

VashHT Platinum Member

Where are there ventilation holes on the iphone 5? I never noticed any on mine...

2. dguy6789

dguy6789 Diamond Member

Smartphones don't have ventilation holes lol

3. deathBOB

deathBOB Senior member

Chiropteran sees what you cannot!

4. Chiropteran

Chiropteran Diamond Member

Bottom of the phone, by the speakers.

5. WelshBloke

WelshBloke Lifer

Um, are you talking about the mic grill, the speaker grill or the headphone socket?

6. grkM3

grkM3 Golden Member

Droid RAZR M is thinner and lighter than the gs3 and has a 2000 mah batter with the same exact specs as the gs3.

You even say probably in your basis of your claim and have no proof of anything you are saying.heck did you ever think that marketing might have a roll in why a free Samsung phone is clocked 300 MHz slower and maybe its a little thicker to not make the gs3 look like a bad deal when a free cell has the same specs?

The razr m is 8.3mm thin and weighs less than gs3 and has a smaller form factor with the same guts!

#56 grkM3, Nov 8, 2012
    Last edited: Nov 8, 2012
  7. magomago

magomago Lifer

Have you done any heat modeling with different geometries? Maybe its different with phones;I could envision a different game entirely because a phone will often be on its side all the time, and even upside down!
    That said, all you see when you place a vent at the bottom is that the heat simply piles up & accumulates at the top of the device. It goes back to 2nd grade; hot air rises.

If orientation is defined well, vents can help when placed on the side, and are most effective (duh) when placed on top. Of course, side and top vents typically destroy almost any IPX claim level, even just IPX1.

I don't know if the iphone is claiming any ipx standard (maybe they are in a particular orientation lol?), but I wouldn't be so sure those are actually vents.

Then again I don't have an iphone so I don't know :p

8. Chiropteran

Chiropteran Diamond Member

They might well not be intended for ventilation in any way, I just googled vents when WelshBloke asked if any phones had them and found a few references to the iPhone5.

But... whether they are intended to be vents or simply there for the speakers, they offer less temperature resistance than even the best conductor. Similar holes are impossible on a glass phone body, that was my point- aluminum & even plastic have thermal advantages over glass.

9. MrX8503

MrX8503 Diamond Member

We won't see ARM15 in the GS4 until Exynos 5250 (currently in Nexus 10 and chromebook) gets a die shrink. Another physical limitation of a smartphone's size. This seems mostly due to power draw.

#59 MrX8503, Nov 10, 2012
    Last edited: Nov 10, 2012
  10. grkM3

grkM3 Golden Member

Right because Samsung just blew 10 billion on its metal gate process and just started producing the 5250s to say hey let's just throw are 10 billion dollar fab away and re fab it in 3 months to build the same exact chip on a smaller node.

Samsung just finished its plant to make these and its hilarious that you think they won't make and 5250s while using there brand new fan for smart phones

11. MrX8503

MrX8503 Diamond Member

http://m.techspot.com/news/50672-mass-production-of-28nm-exynos-cpu-for-galaxy-s4-starting-soon.html

What were you saying?

12. WelshBloke

WelshBloke Lifer

If you go to ifixit and look at the ip5 breakdown you'll see what's inside those grills. Suffice to say that there's no air circulation going on.

13. Bman123

Bman123 Diamond Member

The samsung stellar has a damn tft screen, it sucks ass.

Hottest phone ive had was a thunderbolt, omg that sucker would blaze when charging and being used.

14. mosco

mosco Senior member

Not only is there no air movement, the SOC isn't even close to the speaker grills.

http://www.ifixit.com/Teardown/iPhone+5+Teardown/10525/1