Looks like anandtech did the nexus 4 benchmarks again

Discussion in 'Mobile Devices & Gadgets' started by SAWYER, Nov 7, 2012.

1. SAWYER

SAWYER Lifer

2. Pataling

Pataling Junior Member

I hope they redo the battery tests too.

3. vshah

vshah Lifer

no one should be surprised by this. look forward to anand/brian's explanation.

4. Red Storm

Red Storm Lifer

Hmm, I can't find the old benchmarks.

5. Kingbee13

Kingbee13 Senior member

6. Mopetar

Mopetar Diamond Member

7. vshah

vshah Lifer

wow. very interesting. he mentions in a later tweet that he thinks the throttling may be too agressive.

8. vshah

vshah Lifer

if you look at other glbenchmark runs on their site, it seems that the majority of other users are getting scores in-line with brian's in-freezer run.

so either everyone is testing in a freezer, or anandtech has a bad review unit.

9. Phynaz

Phynaz Diamond Member

Throttlegate!

:biggrin:

10. vshah

vshah Lifer

lol, i like it.

11. Red Storm

Red Storm Lifer

lol

12. vshah

vshah Lifer

maybe not a bad unit, but perhaps the software version on AT's unit (which has been shown to be different across several review sites) has unique/bad throttling parameters set.

13. Red Storm

Red Storm Lifer

Yeah I'm thinking it's something unique to AT's unit. Or as you said, maybe everyone is actually testing these things in freezers or outside. ;)

14. dguy6789

dguy6789 Diamond Member

I don't recall in recent memory a phone that would thermally throttle just from heavy usage. Every phone I've ever owned was capable of running the processor at full load at max clocks more or less indefinitely without overheating. Only sitting in sunlight or something similar would cause them to throttle or overheat.

15. Kingbee13

Kingbee13 Senior member

Could be, Brian did mention he thinks the throttling is over aggressive. Seems like google let the "me too" vibe override the products being actually ready to unveil, they just wanted to overshadow WP8/ipad mini.

Bad form Google, first impressions are a killer in tech, if the N4 develops a perceived reputation for throttling it will haunt the device even if it's actually a nonissue.

16. VashHT

VashHT Platinum Member

Didn't the One X have problems with overheating when it first came out? I've only had phones overheat in the summer in my car while charging, never had it happen otherwise.

It'd be fun to experiment around with this unit, they should take it apart and put some thermocouples in there or something, see what the processor is heating up to. Or if there is a thermal diode on the SoC die they could access that would be even better, but I've never heard of that on ARM processors.

17. vshah

vshah Lifer

the only temp sensor i've ever seen in a phone has been on the battery.

and indeed, the thermalconf that brian posted on his twitter shows the phone throttling based on battery temp

#17 vshah, Nov 7, 2012
    Last edited: Nov 7, 2012
  18. TuxDave

TuxDave Lifer

hah, nice one.

19. Eug

Eug Lifer

Ouch. However, he does say "it gets hot but not *that* hot". Not sure what that means, but I've never owned a phone that gotten even moderately warm, even with games etc. So, even if it's just "hot but not *that* hot", it's a concern.

20. Red Storm

Red Storm Lifer

Not in normal day to day use, but I know my iPhones (3G and 4), the S3, the Nexus, the Incredible, heck just about all of them would get quite hot when being used while charging.

21. Kelvrick

Kelvrick Lifer

Both my HTC G2 and tmobile galaxy S 2 (t989) would get pretty hot when on the road where it is plugged in and running navigation.

22. Chiropteran

Chiropteran Diamond Member

Weren't people trying to say that heat dissipation from the CPU wasn't a factor in cellphones, when we were arguing about phone size a few *days ago?

The truth comes out!

*edit: weeks

#22 Chiropteran, Nov 7, 2012
  23. dguy6789

dguy6789 Diamond Member

Considering this is more or the less the first time this has ever been an issue I don't see how you're trying to use that for something said in the past. Also consider that Anandtech seems to be the *only* review site actually having this issue. The hordes of other Nexus 4 reviews are not reporting any kind of thermal throttling. Someone(was it you?) said that a phone as powerful as the Galaxy S3 couldn't be done in a phone body smaller than the GS3 which was completely ridiculous and proven wrong pretty quickly.

#23 dguy6789, Nov 7, 2012
  24. Chiropteran

Chiropteran Diamond Member

First time it's been an issue because the manufacturers are playing it safe and limiting powerful processors to larger phones.

What I said was that there is always a trade off. Making something smaller either costs more or parts need to be left out. Nothing ridiculous about it, why would the S3 mini have reduced specs if Samsung could fit the regular S3 hardware into it?

Just think about it backwards- if you can make phone X as a 4" phone, then you make the exact same hardware into a 5" phone, you have a lot of extra space. You can clock the CPU higher, or add a bigger battery, a larger speaker, or whatever. Given the same technology, more space simply gives you more features or allows for better thermal dissipation.

25. grkM3

grkM3 Golden Member

I posted a samsung cell that is the same exact size of the mini s3 that has the same exact guts as the big s3 in that thread.

Samsung already makes a mini s3 with the same exact hardware of the s3,its just not called the mini s3

here you go,a 4.0 in mini s3 with the same hardware of the gs3.Its clocked 300mhz slower but that is so it dosnt compete with the gs3 and has 1gb of ram vs 2gb

They also jamed a 2100mah battery in it
    http://www.gsmarena.com/samsung_galaxy_stellar_4g_i200-4954.php

and you can get the phone for free with a 2 year contract!

http://www.verizonwireless.com/b2c/...electedPhoneId=5949&cmp=KNC-58700000031985357

the gs3 has an 8mp camera,1gb more ram and is clocked faster.All those things could of been put into this cell and clocked as fast as there flagship s3

#25 grkM3, Nov 7, 2012