Looks like Amazon S3 is down

ultimatebob

Lifer
Jul 1, 2001
Yeah, it looks like a lot of the services in the entire US EAST 1 region are basically hosed right now. Probably because a lot of them depend on S3 to work. The EC2 instances I have running in that region still look OK, though.

That said, it looks like the S3 outage might be global now, so this might get even worse.

OutHouse

Lifer
Jun 5, 2000
Amazon cloud service outage disrupts websites across U.S.

Amazon experienced issues with its cloud computing services Tuesday afternoon that affected websites across the United States.

Amazon Web Services first reported problems with its S3 storage system on the East Coast around 1:30 p.m., notifying customers that they would experience “high error rates.”

About an hour later, the company reported that the dashboard had “recovered.”

Multiple websites using Amazon Web Services experienced disruptions or outages as a result of problems with the service.

“We're continuing to work to remediate the availability issues for Amazon S3 in US-EAST-1,” an alert posted on Amazon’s website Tuesday afternoon read. “AWS services and customer applications depending on S3 will continue to experience high error rates as we are actively working to remediate the errors in Amazon S3.”

The company updated users with new information on Twitter.

"The dashboard not changing color is related to S3 issue," the company wrote. "See the banner at the top of the dashboard for updates."

“The dashboard has recovered,” Amazon Web Services tweeted around 2:45 p.m. “You will see updates for individual services shortly.”

A spokesman for Amazon did not immediately return a request for more information.

cbrunny

Diamond Member
Oct 12, 2007
i already tweeted about this on my twitter.

that's how you know i'm cool. er, well, trying to be cool.

RossMAN

Grand Nagus
Feb 24, 2000
well, if we are measuring cool by number of followers, i'm 26 times cooler than you!

Heard it here first folks. I'm no longer a huge Canadian loser. Moving up to regular sized.

Upstaged by a Canadian and it wasn't even my favorite (HyperBlaze) :(

Reactions: cbrunny

MikeMike

Lifer
Feb 6, 2000
It's mainly back up, for 75% of the functionality... just no inserting of new items.
- That should be back up and running in under an hour

ultimatebob

Lifer
Jul 1, 2001
Yeah, but SES is down now. So, if you're using Amazon to send e-mail (like me), you're still kinda screwed.

ultimatebob

Lifer
Jul 1, 2001
Yeah, the rumor going around Reddit was that someone fat fingered a command and took down a TON of S3 nodes when he just meant to take down a few. Looks like it was true.

That's what I love about this whole outage... all of that expensive monitoring software, and the first time I heard about the S3 outage was on Reddit of all places.

Exterous

Super Moderator
Jun 20, 2006
That's what I love about this whole outage... all of that expensive monitoring software, and the first time I heard about the S3 outage was on Reddit of all places.

Since their health page was also down their stock ticker actually made for decent uptime monitoring