Looking to upgrade computer for Video Editing

Brydo0

Mar 17, 2013
Hi everyone,

I currently use my PC at home to do quite a bit of video editing and re-formatting. I'd like to upgrade my hardware so that this process is sped up. The problem is though I'm not exactly sure what I need to directly enhance the performance. That's where I was hoping someone would be willing to lend a helpful hand!

Example: After editing a video in Sony Vegas I then render it into an uploadable format. These files range from 1 to 4 GB in size. When rendering the larger sizes it can take up to 2 hours to process the video. I also use FFout to reformat video's and run into similar issues with large clips.

2. What YOUR budget is.
$300-$600. I'm not looking for a computer overhaul just a key upgrade.

3. What country
Canada

4. IF you're buying parts OUTSIDE the US, please post a link to the vendor you'll be buying from.

www.mothercomputers.com (Local store), Newegg.ca, Amazon.ca, Futureshop.ca

5. IF YOU have a brand preference.
No brand perference

6. If YOU intend on using any of YOUR current parts, and if so, what those parts are.

My current build is:
Seagate 1TB
Windows 7 64bit
intel core i5-3450 CPU @ 3.10GHZ
Kingston Hyperx 4GB DDR3 x2 (so 8gb)
Nvidia GeForce GTX 560
Gigabyte GA-P75-D3 Motherboard

7. IF YOU plan on overclocking or run the system at default speeds.
Default.

8. What resolution, not monitor size, will you be using?
1920x1080

9. WHEN do you plan to build it?
Within the next week.

Thanks for the help!

Bryden

Last edited:

mbreslin

Mar 17, 2013
I run an Ivy Bridge i7-3770 (3.4 GHz) on my home server, which has hyperthreading and gives me four cores/eight threads. I do my Handbrake encoding on this machine, and when Handbrake is running all eight logical cores are running between 93% and 100%. I've noticed that when I do the same file on my workstation, which is a Sandy Bridge i5-2500 (3.3 GHz) with only four cores (no HT), it takes me almost twice as long (at least 80% longer) to encode the same video. So assuming Sony Vegas is highly threaded (I'm unfamiliar with it although I know of its existence), if you really want to speed things up then get a faster CPU with HT activated. Eight logical cores should do almost twice as much work as four in the same time.

Sleepingforest

Platinum Member
Nov 18, 2012
Run something like CPU-Z and GPU-Z to find how your computer is being stressed; you may want more CPU cores/threads, faster single threads, or even a better GPU (least likely). Tell us which cores are stressed and by how much.

In the meantime, I'd recommend a multi-threaded Xeon, like the E3-1240 V2--since you already have a GPU and likely don't want to/don't know how to overclock, it's unlikely that you'd need the normal i7.

Brydo0

Mar 17, 2013
Run something like CPU-Z and GPU-Z to find how your computer is being stressed; you may want more CPU cores/threads, faster single threads, or even a better GPU (least likely). Tell us which cores are stressed and by how much.

In the meantime, I'd recommend a multi-threaded Xeon, like the E3-1240 V2--since you already have a GPU and likely don't want to/don't know how to overclock, it's unlikely that you'd need the normal i7.

Thanks for the info. I've downloaded both programs. What specific info should I share from these programs to help?

snoylekim

Sep 30, 2012
I use Vegas and Handbrake with an I7-3770K ..don't overclock , but the 3770K was actually cheaper than the non- k ..Vegas will utilize all cores, plus will leverage OpenGL if the video card is capable w/some rendering ..It also has an option for QuickSync( built in IB process), but it's been grayed out on my choices .. Note I use Movie Studio Pro , which is the latest 'prosumer' Vegas .. Any video encoding software will leverage more cores for transcoding ..so the more the better .. Some ( like Sony) have started using the OpenGL, so your 560 might also come into play . The Xeon 1240 will also be an excellent choice ..I run a 1245 on another machine ..handbrake tests were equivalent to a 3770 ..

Sleepingforest

Platinum Member
Nov 18, 2012
Thanks for the info. I've downloaded both programs. What specific info should I share from these programs to help?

Specifically? For CPU: How many cores are being stressed, and how much are they being utilized while doing your work(so an answer like "2 cores used at 100%" is useful.)

For GPU: The utilization percentage while working.

Also, posting exactly what programs you use is helpful. (lightroom, handbrake, Photoshop CS6, etc).

If I've made a terrible mistake and CPU-Z or GPU-Z don't tell you this info, HWiNFO should.

Brydo0

Mar 17, 2013
Specifically? For CPU: How many cores are being stressed, and how much are they being utilized while doing your work(so an answer like "2 cores used at 100%" is useful.)

For GPU: The utilization percentage while working.

Also, posting exactly what programs you use is helpful. (lightroom, handbrake, Photoshop CS6, etc).

If I've made a terrible mistake and CPU-Z or GPU-Z don't tell you this info, HWiNFO should.

Alright I downloaded the HWiNFO and it gave me the specific core info.

CPU: All 4 Core's are running at 3.2-3.4 GHZ when I'm rendering. There are slight dips but it seems that all 4 are being stressed to near full capacity. This is when I'm rendering using Vegas Movie Studio Platinum 11.

GPU: GPU Clock is at 900mhz, Shader Clock 1800mhz, Memory Clock 1000mhz,
GPU Temp is at 53C and GPU Load is at 8%. The Clock, Shader and Memory are all maxed out.

Programs I use: Vegas Movie Studio Platinum 11, Windows Movie Maker

mbreslin

Mar 17, 2013
You didn't mention memory. How much of available (physical) memory is being used? Task Manager should be able to tell you this.

From what you've found so far, it sounds like you could another four logical cores, like an i7-3770 could give you. I know it helps me a lot with Handbrake.

Brydo0

Mar 17, 2013
You didn't mention memory. How much of available (physical) memory is being used? Task Manager should be able to tell you this.

From what you've found so far, it sounds like you could another four logical cores, like an i7-3770 could give you. I know it helps me a lot with Handbrake.

While rendering it says I have 8GB | 3.7 GB Cached | 4.6 GB Available | 1.3 GB Free Memory.

I talked to my local store today and he similarly recommended an i7-3770.

mbreslin

Mar 17, 2013
Yeah, your memory sounds fine. The main thing that will shorten your encode times are more cores/threads.

mfenn

Elite Member
Jan 17, 2010
www.mfenn.com
I honestly don't think the jump from an i5 3450 to an i7 3770 is worth it given the $300 that it costs. I would either stick with what you've got or spend $800 on an i7 3930K (six core) plus mobo.

mbreslin

Mar 17, 2013
Good point. That's a lot of money to spend for a little improvement, unless the 3450 could be sold to help pay for the new one.