Looking to replace mini-itx with new mobo + cpu hardware. Recommendations needed.

Kneedragger

Golden Member
Feb 18, 2013
Right now I am trying to repurpose a ASUS AT5IONT-I Intel Atom D525 for a Linux file server but I've tried I think three different flavors of Linux and none of them like this mobo/cpu combo. Its old hardware so I think it's time to go new.

Is there any new mobo + cpu combos out worth looking at or should I look at a combo with the J1900 cpu? I have one in a Windows server already and don't have any issues. This set up will be in a Silverstone Sugo SG05 case and I have a Hard drive to use.

Thanks

Feb 25, 2011
I'm a little surprised you couldn't get it to work with Linux, but not a lot surprised - I've had my own issues with Linux not providing 100% effective support of Atoms and/or weird low-end GPUs.

In your position, I'd probably try to get a very low-end desktop motherboard and a "big core" Intel CPU like the G3900 Celeron. (Will blow most any Atom out of the water, for not really all that much higher power use, most of the time.)

These would probably do the job. Although it might be a bit more expensive than the Atom all-in-one boards. (You could also find some Haswell parts instead - Socket 1150 - if you have DDR3 from your current system you would like to reuse.)

I'm more concerned, conceptually, with the idea of a file server that only has one hard drive? I mean, really? You are backing that up somewhere, right? I hope? :D

Kneedragger

Golden Member
Feb 18, 2013
I'm a little surprised you couldn't get it to work with Linux, but not a lot surprised - I've had my own issues with Linux not providing 100% effective support of Atoms and/or weird low-end GPUs.

In your position, I'd probably try to get a very low-end desktop motherboard and a "big core" Intel CPU like the G3900 Celeron. (Will blow most any Atom out of the water, for not really all that much higher power use, most of the time.)

These would probably do the job. Although it might be a bit more expensive than the Atom all-in-one boards. (You could also find some Haswell parts instead - Socket 1150 - if you have DDR3 from your current system you would like to reuse.)

I'm more concerned, conceptually, with the idea of a file server that only has one hard drive? I mean, really? You are backing that up somewhere, right? I hope? :D

Well one could say that this is solely for using a VPN while torrenting. Sort of like a whore that will get used and kicked to the curb when done? File hypothetically will get sent to Windows server to use in home through TV's. ;) With all the Windows privacy concerns with 10 I have been using Linux for this.

I will check out your suggested hardware, thanks

Feb 25, 2011
Well one could say that this is solely for using a VPN while torrenting. Sort of like a whore that will get used and kicked to the curb when done? File hypothetically will get sent to Windows server to use in home through TV's. ;) With all the Windows privacy concerns with 10 I have been using Linux for this.

I will check out your suggested hardware, thanks

Ah. Well, if all you're using it for is a Torrent client, you can hook up a Raspberry Pi to a USB HDD and be done for under $100 for the entire system.

http://www.makeuseof.com/tag/how-to-turn-your-raspberry-pi-into-an-always-on-downloading-megalith/

That's what I'd do... at least if I couldn't crank up another dedicated Linux VM for that instead.

Kneedragger

Golden Member
Feb 18, 2013