looking to replace file server - NAS or maybe USB/firewire chasis?

grepcomputers

Apr 9, 2002
Right now I store a lot of my data on a file server. It has a 300GB, a 250GB, a 180GB and a 120GB drive in it solely for data storage.

I am looking to replace it with something smaller, much quieter, and without spending a fortune.

Is there a NAS or USB or Firewire chasis out there that I can put these four drives into and start serving the data? Unfortunantly the drives are all formatted NTFS...

I saw this recommended in another post about NAS, however, I can't find it anywhere and it looks like it will cost a fair amount.

I found this one through pricegrabber, does anyone have any experience with it or Triumph techologies?

Any suggestions?

Thanks...

TGS

Golden Member
May 3, 2005
Text

If it size and noise that you are interested in, it doesn't get much better than a VIA solution. The equipment you are looking at is a via based computer, along with the other being an enclosure if I reading it correctly. The latter I don't believe will suit your needs if the intent is to move the device to another location.

Honestly any older cpu type should work for you. An older sub 1GHz x86 CPU will work extremely well for just serving files. The problem would be finding all the components for the CPUs. Anything with clock speed throttling might be up your alley, as the server most likely will not have a ton of I/O to process.

grepcomputers

Apr 9, 2002
That looks pretty good, although it's a bit more work than I was looking to do.

I found a VIA EPIA-MII with an embedded nehemia 1GHz CPU on pricegrabber which looks good.

However, I may have found a temporary solution. Someone recommended the Antec P180 for a new case for my desktop - nice and quiet with good cooling for my hot components (p4 3.2 NW, geforce 6800 with passive cooling (yup, gigabyte makes one) - and then I can move my Antec SLK-3700 to the file server. Still bigger than I'd like, but the components in the file server are cool (only a P3 650, slot 1), so it should do the job nice and quietly. And rubber hard drive grommets never hurt...

Thanks for the link, it has some good ideas in it, I'll have to look into it. Finding a small case that can accomodate 5 3.5" IDE drives is a real pain, though.