Looking to buy shelves but don't know anything about shelves

Sonikku

Lifer
Jun 23, 2005
Its dawned on me that I don't have nearly enough shelving for my stuff. And worse, the cheap, used, unbalanced mini shelf I got from a thrift store is falling apart. :( But here's the thing; In concept, I like black and the general look. (pictured)

u740Qxc.jpg

^ My lone mini shelf that's breaking apart. Not Pictured: MASSIVE Nintendo collection all over the place. :eek:

Below are two other people's setups that I like and would seek to emulate.

EvW6o5P.jpg

CCF6tPp.jpg

Now I figured this was as simple as going to walmart or amazon and doing a search on "black shelf". But no. There appear to be countless brands with varying degrees in quality and materials used and longevity of the product. I see almost nothing but negative reviews across the board. So here's the question. What shelf brands are decent? Which ones are there to avoid? Which, if any, do any of you use in your own setups?

pete6032

Diamond Member
Dec 3, 2010
Can you go to home depot or Lowes and look in-person? They have assembled floor models for most.

BoomerD

No Lifer
Feb 26, 2006
What do you want to put on the shelves? Keep in mind, in the first pic, you have basically a set of bookshelves. The shelves are likely 10-12" deep...the other pics are dedicated video shelves...likely about 6" deep.

Dec 10, 2005
I don't know what your budget is, but the Ikea Kallax is pretty awesome if you want cube shelves. Target also sells some decent and cheap book cases (but I'm not sure if they come in black).

In the former case, I recently moved and got the 4x4 Kallax as a bookcase and room separator (I got a studio apt). It holds a tremendous amount.

Nov 8, 2012
I thought you were broke, fucker. Give me some of that collectors shit.

Also, Zelda looks so fucking awesome with his sword raised.

Zanovar

Diamond Member
Jan 21, 2011
I just wanna crash in sonikkus pad,drink beer eat dope and chilax:p.

deadlyapp

Diamond Member
Apr 25, 2004
As someone else said - I'd look at the Ikea cube units. You can get 4x1, 4x4, and variously other large ass sizes. Get out of your house and actually go look at them assembled so you can get a feel for the quality and size.

IronWing

No Lifer
Jul 20, 2001
Hit up the used office furniture stores for metal shelves that are cheaper than particle board crap.

VirtualLarry

No Lifer
Aug 25, 2001
I've got a number of press-board shelves, from Staples. They work OK, but they sag a bit, with what I've got stashed on them. (PC parts, HDDs, etc.)

I think that they were like $50-60 on sale, for a 5-shelf 6' or 7' tall unit.

I have the shorter 3-shelf unit, in the bedroom at the end of my bed, with my HTPC, and 32" LCD TV on top. Makes a pretty decent TV stand.

Sonikku

Lifer
Jun 23, 2005
I don't know what your budget is, but the Ikea Kallax is pretty awesome if you want cube shelves. Target also sells some decent and cheap book cases (but I'm not sure if they come in black).

In the former case, I recently moved and got the 4x4 Kallax as a bookcase and room separator (I got a studio apt). It holds a tremendous amount.
My budget would be pretty low, so I'm guessing actual wood is out. :( I don't like the cube based shelves, they limit the layout of what I want to do. I would like all of my WoW CE's all on the same level, for example. I had only looked at Walmart and Amazon, however. So I will have to give Target a look.
I thought you were broke, fucker. Give me some of that collectors shit.

Also, Zelda looks so fucking awesome with his sword raised.
I am broke. :( SNAP covers my food but after rent I have $180 for expenses. It's not much, but I'm ultra frugal and walk to thrift shops/yard sales and trade on craigslist. It's a hobby that helps with retaining my sanity. I've also been collecting Nintendo since I was roughly five years old.
I just wanna crash in sonikkus pad,drink beer eat dope and chilax:p.
Only the top pic is mine. Not all the wheeling and dealing in the world would get me a collection in that third pic. :eek:

Nov 8, 2012
I am broke. :( SNAP covers my food but after rent I have $180 for expenses. It's not much, but I'm ultra frugal and walk to thrift shops/yard sales and trade on craigslist. It's a hobby that helps with retaining my sanity. I've also been collecting Nintendo since I was roughly five years old. .

At the very least, when I troll you in regards to calling Link as Zelda, could you at least acknowledge it and get butt-hurt?

Red Squirrel

No Lifer
May 24, 2003
www.anyf.ca
I would do something custom so it can fit the room nicely. Pretty sure the ones in those pics are custom made. Would not be too expensive to do if you DIY.

BoomerD

No Lifer
Feb 26, 2006
Concrete/cinder blocks and boards, painted to your preference. They're the classic cheap shelving units everywhere.

vi edit

Elite Member
Super Moderator
Oct 28, 1999

Yep, Ikea Kallax is the way to go. The giant ones are around $220 and they get much cheaper for smaller sets. This is two sets of them together:

mVFH4lJ.jpg

Reactions: Sonikku