Looking to buy: Nissan Quest, Toyota Sienna, Mazda MPV or Honda Odyssey

HKSturboKID

Golden Member
Oct 20, 2000
Ok guys...give me some opinions here. I am looking to pickup a minivan this weekend and did a lot of research on each of the mention Models.

2002 Nissan Quest SE
2002 Toyota Sienna LE
2002 Mazda MPV LX
2002 Honda Odyssey

2002 Nissan Quest SE: Last year for Quest to join venture with Ford. The concept design will be out end of 2003 as a 2004 model(which means the 2002 body style prices will nose dive!)Though the engine and tranny is made in Japan, the van pretty much is build in Ford Factory. 3.3 Engine, but only produce 170 HP (the lease outta the 4) and only a 4speed Auto Transmission. Price is the cheapest outta the 4 also. Price: $22,157

2002 Toyota Sienna LE: Toyota have a tradition of good reliable cars. I heard a lot of bad things regarding the 3.0 Engine that the van comes with. It produces 210 HP with a 4speed Auto Transmission. Like the Nissan...this is the least year for this body style. A new body style is coming out for 2003. Price: $23,274

2002 Mazda MPV LX: Smallest outta all the minivans. Mazda parts are kinda expensive. 3.0 Engine that produce 200hp with a 5speed Auto Transmission. Third row seat flow flush to the floor. Resale value is kinda low. Price: $20.736

2002 Honda Odyssey: Dealer markup over MSRP. Waiting period. 3.5 Engine that produce 240HP with a 5Speed Auto Transmission (Most powerful minivan outta the 4). Sliding door problems. Longest van outta the four. 3rd rom fold down seats that fold flush on the floor. Lots of cargo room. For the price of this van with options...I might as well wait for the HONDA Pilot to come out which is about the same price. (Honda Pilot MSRP: $26,000, which will probably markup to $30,000). Price: MSRP $24,710 w/Markup = $26,810

With that being said, anyone have any sugguestions, experiences or comments on any of this minivan. I've been doing research for months and its time to get it.

Any comments will be greatly appreciated.

Thank you.

Kaieye

Platinum Member
Oct 9, 1999
I got the 2000 Mazda MPV and not a problem except with the wheel alignment slightly off since day one. There are many critics who say that it lacks some torque but I feel that there is enough.

Avoid the Sienna becaue of the possible oil burning problems their engines are having.

The Nissan Quest will soon be retired.

The Honda I hear is great but parking here in a large metropolis is a bit*h... And the dealers won't deal...

toant103

Lifer
Jul 21, 2001
We have the Odyssey, it's really nice with the power sliding door and easy folding third seat. No problem yet.

We don't have the 240HP engine though. Our is a 2000 or 2001 model I think.

FoBoT

No Lifer
Apr 30, 2001
fobot.com
i have to get a minivan in june/july :(
but probably used, not new, i'm looking at the nissan quest or mercury villager

HKSturboKID

Golden Member
Oct 20, 2000
FoBot.....yea me too. I am leaning on the Quest also. The price is right and all the standard features it comes with. One of my relatives have an 1995 Quest which they bought it new then. So far it has about 130,000 miles and its still running strong. No major problems except for the engine recall about 5 yrs ago which they replaced the engine for FREE. Regular tune up and the Quest could last for years!!!

Thanks everyone for their input.

HKSturboKID

Golden Member
Oct 20, 2000
Fobot.....another thought is that I was thinking about getting use, but you don't know what the van have been thru. Therefore I use the money that I was going to buy use for a down payment and just finance the rest. I think right now nissan is offering special financing. Go to your local dealer and check it out.

Isla

Elite member
Sep 12, 2000
Well, I can tell you that I love my 1999 Honda Odyssey. We purchased it loaded, right off the lot, right before the new models came out in 2000. They haven't made a whole lot of changes since '99 and I can honestly say that for one of the first of its kind, it is pretty darn sweet. It has also kept its value... it's only lost 3K of its original value in almost 4 years... not too shabby! Yes, one of the automatic sliding doors gives us a fit from time to time, but it isn't a big deal. In fact, my husband just squirted a little WD40 on it and it straightened out just fine.

If you can find one on the lot or wait, get one. Then again, I don't know anything about the Pilot... that might serve your needs better.

Happy Car Hunting!

RossMAN

Grand Nagus
Feb 24, 2000
Isla - Nice seeing you post. I think almost everyone would agree that the Honda Odyssey is the best minivan but also the most expensive. Then again you get what you pay for.

Isla

Elite member
Sep 12, 2000
Hi RossMAN

Nice to see a you too... always happy to come back to a friendly face. :)

Yup, the Odyssey is more $$$ but since I will probably be driving it for oh, the next 10-15 years or so, I know we will get our money's worth!

Actually, my husband picked it out (I think it was love at first test drive for him) and he's a pretty good 'shadetree' mechanic. Once the warranty runs out he will be doing all the work on it so he wanted to be sure he would be working with a quality machine.

<---spend many weekends watching her husband's legs stick out from under an engine... :D

RossMAN

Grand Nagus
Feb 24, 2000
Hehe "shadetreee mechanic" never heard that term.

That's great news about your resale value, assuming your Odyssey is maintained well you should get top dollar for it when you sell it.

Jun 18, 2000
Originally posted by: Xenon14[/i]
1) Honda Odyssey
2) Toyota Sienna
3) Nissan Quest
4) Mazda MPV
Like RossMAN said, that review is old. They give the 2002 ES a spin around town here. They say the power is more than competitive, but its size is was still its primary downfall.

HKSturboKID

Golden Member
Oct 20, 2000
Hee hee - I love the idea of someone calling himself "HKSturboKID" shopping for a minivan!

Well....you can tell I am getting old. I use to work for a speed shop like 10 yrs ago. We do HKS upgrade....but thats the good old days.....
Now me married and have a kid....have to plan ahead on whats good for the family. :)

psteng19

Diamond Member
Dec 9, 2000
My mom has a 1994 Quest.
Water pump died last month at 75,000 miles.

replaced that and the timing belt, and the rest of the belts.

Other than that, no major problems.
The van has a very car-like ride and handling.
The engine from the 1st gen is TOO WEAK (151 hp/170? tq)... it needs the VQ in there.

I recommend the newer MPV for the best value with a decently powerful engine.
My friend's family has it. Good bang for the buck... not like the over priced sienna. And the odyssey is just crazy at $28k.

Nissan ~ Driven

vi edit

Elite Member
Super Moderator
Oct 28, 1999
Sounds like you are a domestic hater, but what about a nice, used Chrysler Town and Country?

Or, for a great bargain, look at the Kia Sedona. Edmunds gave it excellent reviews.

Feb 10, 2000
Originally posted by: HKSturboKID
Hee hee - I love the idea of someone calling himself "HKSturboKID" shopping for a minivan!

Well....you can tell I am getting old. I use to work for a speed shop like 10 yrs ago. We do HKS upgrade....but thats the good old days.....
Now me married and have a kid....have to plan ahead on whats good for the family. :)

Makes sense to me. I did not mean to pick on you; it just made me chuckle.

Jerboy

Banned
Oct 27, 2001
Originally posted by: RossMAN
Hehe "shadetreee mechanic" never heard that term.

That's great news about your resale value, assuming your Odyssey is maintained well you should get top dollar for it when you sell it.

Assuming people don't spill bunch of sh!t in the back and use it clean.