Question Looking to Build From Scratch Again (VERY Rusty On Parts Knowledge)

ascendant

Jul 22, 2011
I built my last desktop about 10+yrs ago. I've made upgrades since then, but it's time for me to just build a whole new rig. The only thing I might keep is my hard drive, but I'm replacing all else:

1) Case
2) Mobo
3) GPU
4) CPU
5) Ram
6) PSU

Last time I went AMD, but I don't have any preference in that regard. I'm VERY outdated with what are the best ram type, video card type, what components go with what, etc. I could care less whether AMD or Intel are ahead currently as far as their top CPUs. Over the decades, I've seen that changes regularly, oftentimes from year to year, so all I really care is which one will give me the best bang for my buck at this point.

I don't need a keyboard, game pad, monitors, mouse, speakers. Those components I have are great, it's just everything in my tower I need to replace. Probably a new case too.

My main priority is gaming. My current computer can't keep up with stuff like Doom Eternal at all. I want to build something that is able to play the latest games at the max settings, that should be able to continue to do so for at least the next 5yrs, but is within a modest budget (max I want to spend is 1.5k).

As far as the mobo, I don't care about one that can overclock. I had two bad experiences in the past where I burnt out components prematurely from overclocking. Just something that has the latest sockets for the fastest interfaces.

I know some people do dual GPU, but at least when I built mine, it seemed dual only tended to increase performance about 25-30% at most for double the price. I'd rather just get one single GPU unless they've made huge advances in how much dual increases over single GPUs.

I appreciate whatever suggestions you guys have within that budget that will again be able to handle maxed graphics on games currently and should continue to be able to for at least 5yrs if not more.

mikeymikec

Lifer
May 19, 2011
You didn't mention an SSD at all. I'm pretty sure everyone here will recommend you do!

I assume your total budget is in USD?

How desperate are you to upgrade? Intel 13th gen is in pretty soon, and AMD's latest gen I think is just starting to hit the shelves?

Tech Junky

Diamond Member
Jan 27, 2022
keep is my hard drive
This is the first red flag....new system / new drive.... easier to troubleshoot and not wonder about if something goes awry. You can keep the existing one for storage of data.

spend is 1.5k
I can spend that on a budget system w/o a GPU.... so, you're going to need to be a little more specific.

I know some people do dual GPU
With the newer HW this is a relic at this point. It depends on what you're playing and what you want to spend. With card falling in price under MSRP at this point and launches coming in the next month or two you'll likely either need to wait or take the current generation cards at a deeper discount to stay within budget.

DDR5 is a gimmick to get you to spend more when it's not providing more than ~10% benefit over DDR4

I would start with the CPU and decide whether you want AMD or Intel and then which level 3/5/7/9 and build around that. 7 series Intel is the sweet spot for performance and price and the 9 series is just indulgent.

RAM I do 16GB in my server running Linux and it uses maybe 4GB but, Windows is hungry all the time and I usually put in 32GB and DDR4 prices this means $60-$100

NVME / drives price target should be $100/TB for a Gen4 which will do up to 7GB/s

PSU Assuming you'll end up somewhere the max 850W arena w/ a GPU + CPU - look for one that has a 10yr warranty like EVGA, I've used 2 of hem on different builds and they just hum along w/o issues. I've tried others in the past and even got a DOA on occasion.

Case... That's subjective but, I tend to stick with Fractal Design at this point - easy to work in, plenty of space, and they don't scream gamer when placed anywhere in the house.

MOBO - I've taken a liking to ASRock for the past few boards I've used and they just work well.

TO make things simple.... PCPartPIcker.com is your friend to building and ideas though, Create an account and you can save the parts lists and tweak them easily.

ascendant

Jul 22, 2011
You didn't mention an SSD at all. I'm pretty sure everyone here will recommend you do!

I assume your total budget is in USD?

How desperate are you to upgrade? Intel 13th gen is in pretty soon, and AMD's latest gen I think is just starting to hit the shelves?

Yea, looking into SSD, I definitely want to get one as well. Didn't realize how cheap ones that are much larger than mine are now.

Yes, budget is in USD $.

Not particularly desperate. I can wait a month or two. I wouldn't get something that just hits the shelves (I go by the "six month rule"), but I'm sure it would drop down the prices of the current top CPUs, so yea, I might want to wait for that.

Where can I keep on top of when that stuff gets released? And if AMD is hitting the shelves, the price coming down on the prior ones yet?

From what I remember back in the day, generally speaking, AMD was better for gaming, Intel was better for multiple applications at once. No clue if that's still the case or not

Reactions: DAPUNISHER

ascendant

Jul 22, 2011
This is the first red flag....new system / new drive.... easier to troubleshoot and not wonder about if something goes awry. You can keep the existing one for storage of data.

I can spend that on a budget system w/o a GPU.... so, you're going to need to be a little more specific.

With the newer HW this is a relic at this point. It depends on what you're playing and what you want to spend. With card falling in price under MSRP at this point and launches coming in the next month or two you'll likely either need to wait or take the current generation cards at a deeper discount to stay within budget.

DDR5 is a gimmick to get you to spend more when it's not providing more than ~10% benefit over DDR4

I would start with the CPU and decide whether you want AMD or Intel and then which level 3/5/7/9 and build around that. 7 series Intel is the sweet spot for performance and price and the 9 series is just indulgent.

RAM I do 16GB in my server running Linux and it uses maybe 4GB but, Windows is hungry all the time and I usually put in 32GB and DDR4 prices this means $60-$100

NVME / drives price target should be $100/TB for a Gen4 which will do up to 7GB/s

PSU Assuming you'll end up somewhere the max 850W arena w/ a GPU + CPU - look for one that has a 10yr warranty like EVGA, I've used 2 of hem on different builds and they just hum along w/o issues. I've tried others in the past and even got a DOA on occasion.

Case... That's subjective but, I tend to stick with Fractal Design at this point - easy to work in, plenty of space, and they don't scream gamer when placed anywhere in the house.

MOBO - I've taken a liking to ASRock for the past few boards I've used and they just work well.

TO make things simple.... PCPartPIcker.com is your friend to building and ideas though, Create an account and you can save the parts lists and tweak them easily.

Yea, I'm going to get a new drive. Thanks for the feedback.

As far as being more specific as far as my budget, what do you mean? Not sure what else you need other than my spending cap of 1.5k, lol. Altogether, I would rather not spend more than that for the components altogether. I get you said you can spend that on a budget system without a GPU, but when I built my current rig, I spent a total of about $1k or so for everything, and I was able to play all my games with maxed settings for at least the next 8yrs thereafter, probably closer to 10yrs. I don't want parts that are literally brand new and overpriced. I've always waited for the price drop on components.

Never been to that site yet, but I'm going to check it out right now. I appreciate it!

mikeymikec

Lifer
May 19, 2011
Where can I keep on top of when that stuff gets released?

I read about the Ryzen 7000 launch on slashdot. A new CPU in a current generation is unlikely to make it onto slashdot, but something as major as a new CPU gen will IMO. Anandtech will tell you about the more minor releases.

Tech Junky

Diamond Member
Jan 27, 2022
@ascendant

So, with your theory of 6 months you can go ADL or AMD. Since your budget is $1500 all in then I would start with the CPU/GPU and that gives you the foundation for everything else.

To fit your budget pairing a 12700K / 3060 would put you right below your budget with a full build w/ modest options.

Jumping above a 3060 will blow your budget unless you get creative.

Going to a AMD 6700 keeps you in the same ballpark though and might boost graphics a bit - https://pcpartpicker.com/list/7mbGd9

If you went AMD only system though it's going to balloon the budget and can complicate things when it comes to RAM.

Reactions: PowerEngineer