Looking to build a 3.0/3.1 (or maybe 2.0/2.1) home theatre system

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

sdifox

No Lifer
Sep 30, 2005
Op definitely needs to listen to a few speakers to find what he likes.

Here is a bunch of used speakers op can't afford xd

Last edited:
  • Haha
Reactions: Brainonska511

bigboxes

Lifer
Apr 6, 2002
Forget the Klipsch. Those horn tweeters are indeed harsh. You want something with great imaging, accurate neutral sound. I recommend finding a speaker with soft-cloth dome tweeters. Your ears will thank you for it.

MrSquished

Lifer
Jan 14, 2013
I have a Klipsch setup. 3.1 (the front and center are klipsch) though the sub is a high quality SVS, previously a super cheap yamaha. For movies the Klipsch 3 and cheap sub were great, I mean of course the better SVS subwoofer makes it a lot better, but for music, they are a bit too harsh. Without the great subwoofer, I wouldn't want to jam to music a lot with the Klipsch. With the SVS and some tweaking on the receiver, I enjoy music on this setup. But it takes a little effort. But, 90% of my usage out of that setup is movies and TV so it works out ok. Depends on your usage, as Klipsch can have some good value.

Dec 10, 2005
I have a Klipsch setup. 3.1 (the front and center are klipsch) though the sub is a high quality SVS, previously a super cheap yamaha. For movies the Klipsch 3 and cheap sub were great, I mean of course the better SVS subwoofer makes it a lot better, but for music, they are a bit too harsh. Without the great subwoofer, I wouldn't want to jam to music a lot with the Klipsch. With the SVS and some tweaking on the receiver, I enjoy music on this setup. But it takes a little effort. But, 90% of my usage out of that setup is movies and TV so it works out ok. Depends on your usage, as Klipsch can have some good value.
Thanks. I'm hoping to get somewhere this weekend to try and listen to a few speakers and make a select on that front. Considering I'm starting from an extremely mediocre sound bar, I think I'm actually settling on a stereo setup at first. No matter what I do, it'll be an upgrade. I can always add a center or sub as needed.

Muadib

Lifer
May 30, 2000
Klipsch just upgraded their 600M bookshelf speaker to the 600M II. Take a listen if you can, and then play the reviews below. I know that you want towers, and I'm pretty sure new versions are coming soon.

Just checked their website, and they are selling the new version of their towers.

Last edited:
Dec 10, 2005
Klipsch just upgraded their 600M bookshelf speaker to the 600M II. Take a listen if you can, and then play the reviews below. I know that you want towers, and I'm pretty sure new versions are coming soon.

Just checked their website, and they are selling the new version of their towers.
Thanks. I saw that announcement the other day.

There is so much info out there, I'm trying not to overthink it, given that pretty much anything will be an upgrade over my extremely cheap Vizio soundbar. I should be able to check out some stuff this weekend to hopefully get a better idea for sound.

Muadib

Lifer
May 30, 2000
Thanks. I saw that announcement the other day.

There is so much info out there, I'm trying not to overthink it, given that pretty much anything will be an upgrade over my extremely cheap Vizio soundbar. I should be able to check out some stuff this weekend to hopefully get a better idea for sound.
Just enjoy the ride! Whatever you do choose, it will be with you for years. Let your ears be your guide, and go from there.

Reactions: Brainonska511

sdifox

No Lifer
Sep 30, 2005
Listen to some speakers with ribbon tweeter if you can. Love that sound myself.

Dec 10, 2005
As an update, I picked up a Denon AVR-S660H, refurbished from their site. It was probably a little more than I needed at this juncture, but it has some nice stuff like AirPlay. It also does 4K/120Hz pass-through for a few of the HDMI inputs, a useful future-proofing thing if we ever pick up a PS5 or replace the 11 year old 42" 1080p/60Hz TV we're using.

As for speakers, unfortunately, no where around me had a place to test listen. However, Best Buy has a 15-day return window, including if the item has been opened, so I grabbed a pair of Sony SS-CS3 floor speakers, which kept coming up in my research as a good value set of speakers. So far, they sound pretty good to me (but granted, almost anything would sound better than 6-year-old sound bar that was purchased for $80). Granted, they weren't on sale, but if I see a substantial price drop somewhere within the next 120 days, the credit card I used is one of the few remaining cards with price protection.

Bookshelf speakers may have also been another alternative, but the look also needed to pass the spouse test, and many speaker stands were viewed as ugly.

Edit: and like clockwork, BB (and Amazon) both lowered the price of the speakers on Monday, so I was able to get a credit since I'm still in the return period. Still keeping an eye out for a price protection claim though, just to make it even sweeter.

Last edited: