Looking to add WEBCAMS to watch the corners for security. best suggestions

mmx

Diamond Member
Oct 13, 1999
I thought of adding USB logitech cameras to each corners, but then USB cables are not good that long in size. Is there other USB cameras, that i can configure like 4-8 cameras, to take pics or movies and record them to the HD of the out/inside of the house for security purposes?

I looked at X10, but i hears positive, and negative? how is logitechs new wireless cameras?

dlink has a great wireless but cost $300.

I'm looking to spend maximum $200 for like 4-8 cameras. Also want to be able to look at the cameras through whatever computer i have in my network in my house.

Skyclad1uhm1

Lifer
Aug 10, 2001
You need a camera with a stable picture quality. Most webcams need a lot of light, if it's getting dark you won't see a thing anymore.

rootaxs

Platinum Member
Oct 22, 2000
I wouldn't get the X10 camera. There was a feature in the news about them a while back showing how anyone with a scanner can intercept the video signals from a quarter mile away without you knowing it. They even went driving around a neighborhood where they got signals from a couple of homes, then showed the same footage to the homeowner minutes later. Homeowners were shocked to say the least.

The Investigative reporters then contacted X10 about it but they just ignored the reporters saying something to the extent of, "customers should know about the risks involved when using these products".

rh71

No Lifer
Aug 28, 2001
You'd probably be better off with a real monitoring system/camera instead of a webcam that isn't easily able to record video. After all, you won't be watching the monitor 24/7... right ?

WinkOsmosis

Banned
Sep 18, 2002
Don't forget the booby traps.

Are you paranoid? Are you planning to hire a security guard to watch this video?

mmx

Diamond Member
Oct 13, 1999
i just want something that i can watch the outside.
I don't care about security risks. I just need to watch outside for all 4 corners, and the door.

I also wanted to know if i can get a switch box with on/off lights next to the webcams so at night i can look i the dark, i also need a 270degree motor that i can control to see the sides.

radioouman

Diamond Member
Nov 4, 2002
You certainly won't get a motor control for $270. But you can get a handful for webcams for that. You're right that USB won't go very far by itself, but you can use USB hubs to extend that distance. Yes that is a lot of hubs, and some of them will need to be powered. Why not just go with a bunch of cheap analog cameras and a way to select which source you want to view? 8 cameras + 1 TV + 1 video switch and you're done!

EDIT: I just noticed this at the Geeks! Looks like exactly what you need.

crumpet19

Platinum Member
Feb 10, 2002
Along the lines of this.....

I just purchased a dlink DSB-C100 webcam from a user here on the forums. I would like to be able to do motion activated recording to the PC so that when someone uses my workstation I can get a video of it -someone has been jackin with my stuff. is it possible to do this with a webcam? and what software should be used?

-thnx
chris

rootaxs

Platinum Member
Oct 22, 2000
I'd suggest HomeWatcher, it's free and i like how it's motion activated and automates a lot of things.

You can also set it to monitor just a portion of the field of view and such.

codeyf

Lifer
Sep 6, 2000
Originally posted by: Jellomancer
Don't forget the booby traps.

Are you paranoid? Are you planning to hire a security guard to watch this video?

I'm first in line for the job!!!